Scheduler 1.0

Suggest, post, or discuss plugins for Deluge
man_in_shack

Scheduler 1.0

Post by man_in_shack »

Hello out there, Deluge users. I am man_in_shack, the guy who fixed the Scheduler plugin back in 0.5.6 or so. I'm looking for suggestions on the next version of the Scheduler, which like Deluge 0.6/1.0, will be a complete rewrite. I don't like the "colour zone" system, but I'm not really sure what direction to take, so I'm open to suggestions! Post them here.
Freakapotamus

Re: Scheduler 1.0

Post by Freakapotamus »

I am from Oz and typically here the internet plans have a peak/off-peak download system. Usually off peak has twice or more the limit of peak and exceeding either of the limits the ISP will throttle your internet speed. So i usually use the scheduler to take advantage of the off peak and try not to exceed either limits.

What would be handy is that even if the scheduler is active to have a way to override it per torrent. so i can leave my big torrents using the scheduler and have the smaller one download at full speed. Currently the only way i could get this to work with the old versions of deluge was to disable the scheduler plugin, pause the larger torrents let the smaller one finish then re-enable everything.
supernicko

Post by supernicko »

G'day,

Also from Oz so love the scheduler. It would be great if it a future version it would be possible to set deluge to seed only for certain periods. I have unlimited upload so I like to seed 24/7 but only download through the night when I get my off-peak bandwidth allocation. I (wrongly) presumed setting the download speed to 0 would do this based on the -1 setting in the plugin.

Also if you are going to get rid of the color bars, I'd suggest having an advanced option. I personally love the idea of a cron-style setup to give time up to the minute. Others wouldn't know where to start with that though.

If I can give you a hand at all (not sure what it is coded in and how big it is so perhaps you don't need one) give me a hoy. Should always put in effort for things you want if you can.

Nick
dgaust
New User
New User

Post by dgaust »

This plugin is great, especially for us in Australia (yes another one :D )

I'd also like the seed option added. I also tried this by setting the download speed to 0 in the current version, but this didn't work it seemed to download at unlimited speed.
imagoarbour

Post by imagoarbour »

A 'Seeding Only' similar to that on Utorrent would be really good for those of us in, you guessed it, Australia! Compared to the rest of the world we have some archaic internet plans. I'm new to Deluge and like what I've seen, a light weight torrent file sharer suitable for Linux. but it would be good to set the downloads to zero while being able to upload :)
GrimRe

Post by GrimRe »

Do you have an ETA for this? Would really love to see it!

At the moment there no scheduling ability at all in deluge 1.0 which is really debilitating for me :(
man_in_shack

Post by man_in_shack »

You know what's really fun? I'm also an Aussie :D

As for ETA, I've had a lot of stuff on my plate recently and I'm still procrastinating with it all, so it'll be a while.

I expect that the first release will be cron-style, and it should be perfectly possible to implement a "seeding only" time zone.

Any suggestions on what the new GUI should look like are welcome, especially if you can do mock-ups :)
chronographer

Post by chronographer »

Hi. I used the scheduler plugin all the time, all day every day, and would love it to return! I personally liked the old interface, 3 stages green yellow red high low off is good. Can we implement this for the time being, I would be willing to help out if you think it would be easyish (I have some limited experience with python and java). edit: I too hail from down under!
man_in_shack

Post by man_in_shack »

chronographer wrote:3 stages green yellow red high low off is good. Can we implement this for the time being,
I have a lot of reservations about the old interface.
  • 3 levels is inflexible, especially with one of them predefined.
  • The colour scheme is not great for red/green colour-blind individuals.
  • Hour-quantised time ranges are incredibly inflexible.
chronographer wrote:I would be willing to help out if you think it would be easyish (I have some limited experience with python and java). edit: I too hail from down under!
The main problem I have with developing the plugin is a lack of time. Not only do I have vitally important tasks to complete for work ASAP, I also have to find time to study the 0.6/1.0 plugin structure and API for Deluge. The number one thing that would help me is good documentation on the plugin API, and I should be able to start working on the plugin later this week.

Thanks for the offer of help; it is greatly appreciated :)
chronographer

Post by chronographer »

Well I am pretty busy with Uni too, but will try to keep in touch,get into the idea and actually add something to one of the OSS projects that I use regularly! So we need to together understand the plugin architecture, come up with a design that is simple, flexible (and pretty!) and start implementing it.

I guess a table layout with time, cron like minute, hour, day of the week and day of the month settings first, then drop down boxes containing options. The ability to add another more rows below and so on to achieve a high level of customisation with a simple feel should be possible.

I personally only use a per day thing, start at midnight end midday, so I could set a daily cycle, two rows, one to start downloading, one to pause.

thoughts?