Editing MP3 ID tags/filenames while seeding

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
olspookishmagus

Editing MP3 ID tags/filenames while seeding

Post by olspookishmagus »

Suppose you add a torrent with a lot of MP3 files, take those (1|2) for example, and as soon as you finish downloading them suppose you want to change their ID3 tags and/or their filenames.

Shouldn't there be a way so one could do this from within Deluge?

I've been thinking about that for quite some time now and I came up with some ideas of how this could be implemented but I would like to see whether are other people: interested on mentoring it, getting involved with it and finally if there are ideas on how to proceed.

After a brief search I only came to Sentinel's older relevant post.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Editing MP3 ID tags/filenames while seeding

Post by Cas »

You can change the filenames from the Files tab.

You cannot change mp3 tags as they will change the file and thus the hash needed to verify that it is part of the torrent.
TrevorLaneRay
New User
New User

Post by TrevorLaneRay »

cas is right; editing ID3 tags changes the files themselves (not the NTFS file stream).
In order for such a feature to exist, the client would have to stop seeding and downloading entirely, lest there be hashfails.
Use MP3Tag to do this instead; I've used it for years, and has worked wonders with my enormous library.

Keep in mind though, that Deluge is a bittorrent client; adding features like ID3 tag editing would turn it into a media download and management program.
Best to keep the program on target with its purpose as much as possible.

A better (imo) idea would be to pass the torrent folder as an argument to your ID3 tag editor.
That way you could "Open torrent in ID3 tag editor" through the menu. :|
olspookishmagus

Post by olspookishmagus »

Well, you're absolutely right. Another example of my "posting-before-thinking".

Thanks for your replies and for not bashing me (which would had also been called for).