[Pi] Deluge re-checking torrents on boot.

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
MattH
New User
New User

[Pi] Deluge re-checking torrents on boot.

Post by MattH »

Hi guys and girls,

I'm running Deluge (Daemon and WebUI) in conjunction with Deluge on my PC and the web ui. I have an attached USB hard drive to my Pi, which I download all my torrents to. A problem I have, is that sometimes on boot the torrents will all require rechecking. Checking multiple 200gb torrent on the Pi literally takes days. I understand, from googling, it has to do with the USB device not being mounted before deluge is run. I have them both set at boot on the Pi, but I could as a work around manually start Deluge on the Pi each time, so I know the USB device is mounted first.

I just can't risk rebooting the pi and suddenly, days of checking required. It seems a bit insane to me (I understand the pi is slow), is there no way of storing the check somewhere and not needing to go through the entire filesystem of the torrent to check? I love the way it works through the Win client, and web client; and I don't want to have to mess about with other clients now since I like Deluge. I'm not sure if something more serious is going on or I am misunderstanding how it all works. If there was a way of checking the files from my PC if that were to happen (which I highly doubt as the daemon needs to check it, on the pi?) it'd be not a single problem, but to run it as a server on a pi, the chance of rechecks utterly kills it for me.

Thanks for any help and advice, I've googled this to death and I don't see much about it so I'm a bit stuck,

Matt
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: [Pi] Deluge re-checking torrents on boot.

Post by Cas »

It sounds like the daemon is not shutting down properly, what version of deluge?
MattH
New User
New User

Post by MattH »

dpkg -p deluged
Package: deluged
Priority: optional
Section: net
Installed-Size: 73
Maintainer: Cristian Greco <cristian@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: deluge
Version: 1.3.3-2+nmu1
Depends: python, deluge-common (= 1.3.3-2+nmu1)
Size: 24990

I've followed the 'main guides' which setup the pi and a disk, and edit init.d files to run everything at boot etc. I'm not familiar with Unix but everything went through absolutely fine. If it's super bizarre behavior (I didn't know how acceptable it seems) and you'd suggest starting over then I'd happily do that - the Debian distro I have on a card is only for deluge so scraping it and going again is doable if you think this sounds unusual behavior.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

There were fixes applied to 1.3.6 that helped with the deluged shutdown process however you need to check your logs to ensure that your computer is not shutting down before deluged has finished saving.
MattH
New User
New User

Post by MattH »

Thanks,

I'll look up about the logs, and see if I can determin what's been going on through that to make sure the right order is preserved. Good to know that a shutdown saving process should be preserved and it's certainly something not configured right. I pulled Deluge off apt-get and looking up on the Debian package list they have 1.3.3 (http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/deluge) but I'll see how you update to your repositories or manually and reinstall. I'll make sure to go over the logs and see if I can identify the order of booting and that deluge is successfull shutting down.

Thanks for the tips and assurances, hopefully I wont need to come back for advice. If I figure anything out, I'll post if anyone stumbles here through google.
JOSfiwER234
New User
New User

Post by JOSfiwER234 »

Any torrents below 100% will be rechecked when I restart or shutdown my PC without first shutting down Deluge. Is there any way I can make Deluge shutdown normally whenever I restart or shutdown my PC without having to manually shutdown Deluge myself? My PC is very old. So sometimes it freezes certain things and I can't shutdown Deluge manually before shutting down or restarting my PC.
ovasilis74
New User
New User

Post by ovasilis74 »

Hello to everyone, I am glad to be here!

Old topic or not, I hope someone is helped from my observations.
On my xubuntu12.04 desktop all other partitions than my system/home partition do not automount at start-up, and I want it to be so. Also I have NOT Deluge autostarted at every start-up(boot), also want to be so.
If I don't first mount the parition(s) that deluge downloads files/folders, a new directory is created under /media/ each time I start deluge, with a "_" next to the normal name of the the partition and then Deluge uses that insted of the real partition, even if I next mount the real partition and its name appears uner /media/.
!BUT! sometimes the real partition has the "_" next to its name! This is VERY importand, because after correcting the place where Deluge downloads, the user would want to delete the substitute-directory of the correct partition, and deleting the wrong could result some loss... Fortunately I've not experianced this.
To be sure, I quit Deluge, open both directories and look wich one is missing contents that normaly are in the partition, then delete the "fake" because it is in my / partition (system), which is very small.
I am not sure if one can copy the contents of the fake in case they are bigger than the original, put them in the correct Deluge directory and "Move Storage" & "Force Re-check" in Deluge for them. I have done it once long time ago, don't remember if succed.
For now I manualy mount the Deluge download patrition and the partitions from where Deluge uploads, otherwise a boring maintenance begins...

CONCLUSION:
Unless I miss something or my system needs some adjustment, my PC-life would be easier if Deluge or some plug-in would take care of mounting unmounted partitions or at least creating a pop-up window to tell us to do it.
In fact this could be Ubuntu's job, to let us apply permissions to applications (in GUI), so there are no conflicts with other apps and also allow Deluge to unmount partitions.
Again I apologise if I miss something; what I said does not mean I don't respect and thank Deluge and Ubuntu Teams!

Thanks for reeeaaading...
crazycaveman

Post by crazycaveman »

ovasilis74 wrote:Hello to everyone, I am glad to be here!

Old topic or not, I hope someone is helped from my observations.
On my xubuntu12.04 desktop all other partitions than my system/home partition do not automount at start-up, and I want it to be so. Also I have NOT Deluge autostarted at every start-up(boot), also want to be so.
If I don't first mount the parition(s) that deluge downloads files/folders, a new directory is created under /media/ each time I start deluge, with a "_" next to the normal name of the the partition and then Deluge uses that insted of the real partition, even if I next mount the real partition and its name appears uner /media/.
!BUT! sometimes the real partition has the "_" next to its name! This is VERY importand, because after correcting the place where Deluge downloads, the user would want to delete the substitute-directory of the correct partition, and deleting the wrong could result some loss... Fortunately I've not experianced this.
To be sure, I quit Deluge, open both directories and look wich one is missing contents that normaly are in the partition, then delete the "fake" because it is in my / partition (system), which is very small.
I am not sure if one can copy the contents of the fake in case they are bigger than the original, put them in the correct Deluge directory and "Move Storage" & "Force Re-check" in Deluge for them. I have done it once long time ago, don't remember if succed.
For now I manualy mount the Deluge download patrition and the partitions from where Deluge uploads, otherwise a boring maintenance begins...

CONCLUSION:
Unless I miss something or my system needs some adjustment, my PC-life would be easier if Deluge or some plug-in would take care of mounting unmounted partitions or at least creating a pop-up window to tell us to do it.
In fact this could be Ubuntu's job, to let us apply permissions to applications (in GUI), so there are no conflicts with other apps and also allow Deluge to unmount partitions.
Again I apologise if I miss something; what I said does not mean I don't respect and thank Deluge and Ubuntu Teams!

Thanks for reeeaaading...
A quick google search (xubuntu mount disk startup) would give you the answer: http://askubuntu.com/questions/70873/au ... ns-xubuntu which points to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autom ... Partitions. If a directory with the same name as the disks label already exists, that's when you get the /media/<label_name>_<unique_id> folder.
Basically, add the disks to your /etc/fstab file, which is what the system reads to mount disks, and run `sudo mount -a` (without quotes) to mount them. As for auto-starting Deluge, check out the Deluge Wiki. There are quite a few things to help you out. In the future, it would be better for you to start a new thread, rather than bumping a 3 month old thread that isn't related to your question...