Download Error

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
kb2502

Download Error

Post by kb2502 »

Hello everyone. Recently I saw, that Deluge has problems with downloading many torrents. When I add torrent do download, it starts to download, and after for example 0.05% it shows Error in Status. It doesn't help to do the force check. Most weird is, that when I'm trying to download thesame torrent on Windows, using for example uTorrent, it downloads normally, and shows no error...Image
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Download Error

Post by johnnyg »

click on one of the torrents that has an error and then click on the details tab. What error does it say it has?
kb2502

Post by kb2502 »

In details tab it shows: Status: Not a directory
For torrents that are downloading, Status is OK.

kb2502

Post by kb2502 »

Anybody knows how to solve this issue?
Bombur
New User
New User

Post by Bombur »

I hace exactly the same problem, except that the detasils tab ist blank, no info whatsoever.
Ghis1964

Post by Ghis1964 »

same here,

I tried if to delete the torrent and re-start as new would help, I check the directory and it is there, start deluge, it shows error again and again. Force-recheck doesn't help. I even done the whole scheme for an already downloaded file to see if it would seed; no luck either.

I haven't tried to see if this error happens on earlier deluge versions. I use deluge-1.1.9.
freeUser15
New User
New User

Post by freeUser15 »

i'm currently using rTorrent (just info).
i'm on console freeBSD so my choices are limited. anyway.

i have a problem with torrents created by uTorrent 184+ and 190b (these are confirmed.. by me ;) ). so i started to think about switching to Deluge and i wanted to find some proof that this error does not occur here.

okay, with these "affected" torrents i have some results:
bitTornado (latest...like 2 years ago) - torrent is added, but then "bad bencode data" and/or "torrent not registered".
rTorrent - 0.8.3 - adds torrent and then "torrent not registered". 0.8.5(devel) - "Download has unordered info dictionary." and simply not adds these torrents.
Transmission (also.. not tested by me): also torrent not registered.

toPrevPoster: can you check which proggie has created this torrent?
toDevs: is this problem also occurs on Deluge?
loki

Post by loki »

freeUser15 wrote:i'm currently using rTorrent (just info).
i'm on console freeBSD so my choices are limited. anyway.

i have a problem with torrents created by uTorrent 184+ and 190b (these are confirmed.. by me ;) ). so i started to think about switching to Deluge and i wanted to find some proof that this error does not occur here.

okay, with these "affected" torrents i have some results:
bitTornado (latest...like 2 years ago) - torrent is added, but then "bad bencode data" and/or "torrent not registered".
rTorrent - 0.8.3 - adds torrent and then "torrent not registered". 0.8.5(devel) - "Download has unordered info dictionary." and simply not adds these torrents.
Transmission (also.. not tested by me): also torrent not registered.

toPrevPoster: can you check which proggie has created this torrent?
toDevs: is this problem also occurs on Deluge?
'torrent not registered' or 'not registered on this tracker' would happen on any client. (Google search is your friend)
Not sure on the other errors, is it possible you could send me the torrent in question and I could try it and see if it does an error in Deluge?
freeUser15
New User
New User

Post by freeUser15 »

i'm going to PM with the file and on rTorrent i've found something interesting
Even if you remove the error message, you won't like it. It will mean that rtorrent and utorrent disagree about the SHA1 hash of the torrent. Because of a bug in utorrent it uses the incorrectly-ordered keys to compute the hash, instead of the bencode representation that's required by the bittorrent specs.

The bencode representation ALWAYS has keys in alphabetical order. So it's utorrent at fault here for making a torrent with wrongly ordered keys and then using that wrong order to compute the hash. Unfortunately most trackers will agree with utorrent, rather than the standard. I guess, if you just shout a falsehood loud enough people will believe you.

In any case, even if you make rtorrent load the file, you'll be the only peer in the swarm, except for other rtorrent clients. All utorrent versions will use the wrong info hash and so you won't find them, and they won't find you.

The only solution is to get the utorrent people to read the bencode specs again and fix their client, and to reupload fixed versions of the torrent files.

Or maybe hack rtorrent to reproduce the utorrent bug, though I doubt you'll see that become part of the code base...
loki

Post by loki »

The torrent file you sent me in PM would not load into Deluge for me it acted as the file didn't exist, and in fact I tried it on the very old utorrent 1.6.1 I had laying around and it wouldn't either, utorrent actually told me it was an invalid torrent file. In the torrent itself it looks pretty typical as far as I can tell, and the file says it was created by utorrent but even it doesn't load it.
As far as I know based on this Deluge does produce this same bug.

Update: The file did work upon getting the original torrent file from you. Just with the "Error: unregistered torrent" message.