My list of features and bugs :p

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
Xi0N
Leecher
Leecher

My list of features and bugs :p

Post by Xi0N »

I have been using Transmission until now, and i moved to deluge because of its richer web interface.
I run deluged on a headless server that i access only by ssh.
The first impression of the program was satisfying.... more configurability, and more options than the one i was using before... besides, in this one i dont have to start an apache server on the machine everytime i want to download a torrent, but even all the good things, i also saw some other ones that i dislike or that i think, form my most sincere and honest opinion, need some improvement.
I want to share this opinnions with the developers so that we can make the program better for everyone.

1: Having a temporal torrent folder, or said in another words: Move torrent files once that the download is complete. This feature is really needed and lately a lot of torrent clients are missing it. Usually, the torrent download folder is the same folder as the share folder in another p2p programs (i.e. amule) This means, that if we have some download only at 50% completed, and we start amule, the program will share this uncomplete download. Thats one reason for implementing the option of moving the files once the download is completed. Besides, another reason can be that when you have lots of torrents in queue in the same time, it could be difficult to locete that torrent that you just finised downloading........ I think the "Move completed torrents to" option could be really useful

2: The bug that shows another torrent's files when you add a new torrent and check the box "choose files" - this one drives me mad!!

3: Bandwidth control: I know i can set the upload limit of my client, but something i realized is that it gets impossible to connect to the web interface when the client has too much traffic. I think it would be great to priorize the conection to the web interface.....

4: It would be great to have a "Start all torrents" and "Stop all torrents" button

5: Super-seed feature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-seeding)

These are my requests until now. I hope they help to make the client better.
By the way, i have readed in this forums that there will be a 1.1 version.... i wanted to ask more or less when is this version planned to be released and which features / fixes will it have.

Thanks!!
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: My list of features and bugs :p

Post by johnnyg »

Xi0N wrote:1: Having a temporal torrent folder, or said in another words: Move torrent files once that the download is complete. This feature is really needed and lately a lot of torrent clients are missing it. Usually, the torrent download folder is the same folder as the share folder in another p2p programs (i.e. amule) This means, that if we have some download only at 50% completed, and we start amule, the program will share this uncomplete download. Thats one reason for implementing the option of moving the files once the download is completed. Besides, another reason can be that when you have lots of torrents in queue in the same time, it could be difficult to locete that torrent that you just finised downloading........ I think the "Move completed torrents to" option could be really useful
"Preferences->Downloads", under "Download Location": "Move Completed to".
Xi0N wrote:3: Bandwidth control: I know i can set the upload limit of my client, but something i realized is that it gets impossible to connect to the web interface when the client has too much traffic. I think it would be great to priorize the conection to the web interface.....
If you set your upload limit to 80% or 85% of your max upload speed then you shouldn't have any problems.
Is your server on your LAN? If so, you might want to try connecting to it using the gtk ui, I'd imagine it would be less demanding on the bandwidth.
Xi0N wrote: 4: It would be great to have a "Start all torrents" and "Stop all torrents" button
Is this specific to the web ui or all ui?
In the web ui classic template there is a "resume all" and "pause all" button if you really need them badly (they're not in the white template).
Xi0N wrote: 5: Super-seed feature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-seeding)
http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a
Xi0N
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Xi0N »

1: In the web interface (remember i cannot access in any other way, or can i?) i cannot change this option, or i am a bit blind and i cannot see it :P

2: I can see this is actually a bug

3: I changed this value... i will check if i can have better performance now... thanks!

4: I prefer the gmail-like interface, specially for using it while im in my job.... is not so obvoious as the classic ui.... besides, the clasic ui has some errors and some frames are not displayed properly... :(

5: Undesrtood.... ;)
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

Xi0N wrote:1: In the web interface (remember i cannot access in any other way, or can i?) i cannot change this option, or i am a bit blind and i cannot see it :P
ah, I forgot about that.
It appears that this option isn't available on the web ui: file a new ticket.

You can however set it in the null ui (cli):
  1. ssh into your server
  2. run

Code: Select all

deluge -u null
  3. enter

config-set move_completed_path <path to completed downloads directory>
  4. enter

config-set move_completed True
  5. verify that these were set correctly by typing

configs
your downloads will now move to the specified folder on completion.

as for being able to use any other ui, if you're at home (i.e. on the same network as your server) then if you enable remote connections (in the web ui it's under daemon -> "Allow remote connections"), and run deluge locally on a computer and disable classic mode ("Preferences->Interface", untick "Enable" under "Classic mode", you'll need to restart deluge), you'll be presented with a connection manager.
By default it will suggest to connect to localhost on port 58846.
Instead add a new host (your server) either by ip or by name (if the name resolves to that ip).
You can delete localhost if you want and I'd recommend automatically connecting to that host on startup and not showing the connection manager again (available under options).
If your server isn't on a local network with another computer, you can still use the gtk ui but you have to set up a ssh tunnel first.
Xi0N
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Xi0N »

On the third step, i get this message:

Welcome to deluge-shell. Type 'help' to see a list of available commands.
> config-set move_completed_path /home/bigboss/Downloads

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 8, in <module>
    load_entry_point('deluge==1.0.0', 'console_scripts', 'deluge')()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/main.py", line 99, in start_ui
    UI(options, args)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/ui.py", line 70, in __init__
    ui = NullUI(args)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/null/deluge_shell.py", line 490, in __init__
    command.execute(inp)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/null/deluge_shell.py", line 263, in execute
    update_config_value(value, c_val)
NameError: global name 'c_val' is not defined
bigboss@OuterHeaven:~$
I think this is a crash, isnt it? :roll:
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

it sure looks like it :(
I can't seem to reproduce it either.

try doing the 4th step before the 3rd, does that work?
Xi0N
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Xi0N »

Welcome to deluge-shell. Type 'help' to see a list of available commands.
> config-set move_completed True

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 8, in <module>
    load_entry_point('deluge==1.0.0', 'console_scripts', 'deluge')()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/main.py", line 99, in start_ui
    UI(options, args)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/ui.py", line 70, in __init__
    ui = NullUI(args)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/null/deluge_shell.py", line 490, in __init__
    command.execute(inp)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/null/deluge_shell.py", line 263, in execute
    update_config_value(value, c_val)
NameError: global name 'c_val' is not defined
bigboss@OuterHeaven:~$
Doing the 4th before the 3rd... happens the same....... :(
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

what version of deluge are you using? 1.00?
what does

help config-set
say?
I'm quickly running out of ideas... :(
Xi0N
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Xi0N »

Sorry!!!
I was typing those commands after stopping deluged.... ¬¬' (dumbass)

Thanks for your help!!!! (and patience)

Btw, you didnt tell me wheter is going to come out the next version or not :p

Thanks, really!!
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

ah, good to hear.
I had ruled out that possibility seeing null ui normally tells you when you're not connected to a daemon (rather than just crashing :P).
maybe that should get fixed into a more friendly user message.

as for the features, best is to have a look at: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/milestone/1.1.0