The parameter is incorrect

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
captainnapalm

Re: "The parameter is incorrect" on Windows Storage Spaces

Post by captainnapalm »

I'm also having this issue. It's not every torrent that I receive this error, but more and more lately, torrents in Deluge are failing with "The parameter is incorrect" errors. Would love if someone could look into this.
sylinen
New User
New User

Post by sylinen »

I can also report this error happening. I switched from RAID5 to a Storage Spaces setup, and now some of my torrents are giving me this error. To be clear, I kept drive letters and folder paths the same. I've even put some backed up files in the same places and Deluge gives me the "The parameter is incorrect" error on them when I re-check.
TurboFool
New User
New User

Post by TurboFool »

captainnapalm wrote:I'm also having this issue. It's not every torrent that I receive this error, but more and more lately, torrents in Deluge are failing with "The parameter is incorrect" errors. Would love if someone could look into this.
Can you clarify if you, like sylinen and I, are experiencing this specifically in conjunction with Windows Storage Spaces? Just want to make sure we've got a clear, consistent pattern.
retrokid
New User
New User

Re: The parameter is incorrect

Post by retrokid »

I also appear to have the same problem, however the external 4TB drive I am using is formatted as NTFS. Although perhaps the fact that it is 4TB is worthy of note, as I have come across something recently that showed me that Windows handles a 4TB drive differently than smaller drives.
In my case as well, it happens not with all torrents, but the ones it does happen with end up having a decently long path+filename. (I have not counted the characters, but my guess would be a 255 char limit or thereabouts.)
StormPooper
New User
New User

Post by StormPooper »

I'm also having this issue, running on Server 2012 Essentials - it's also on a Windows Storage Space. My paths aren't that long, and it happened with nearly every torrent I added.
Server: Windows Home Server v1 (Server 2003)
Deluge: 1.3.4 + daemon + webui
JohnnyMojo

Post by JohnnyMojo »

I'm with TurboFly on this one. The error is happening when trying to download a large torrent file to an external drive. My drive is formatted in NTFS and there shouldn't be any issues with it. I can download the torrent on my internal drive and then have it auto-move it to the external without any issues. When I try and re-check the torrent on my external drive, it fails after about 11% (on a 6.5gb torrent). I would love if this could be fixed as it surely is a Deluge issue. uTorrent seems to work fine.
retrokid
New User
New User

Post by retrokid »

To help troubleshoot: my current "error" torrents all have [ ] characters in them, except for one, that has an extremely long path. However I had several with longer paths than most of the errored ones, but they all had 'websafe' character sets.
My guess is there is a substitution going on somewhere, substituting the [ ] and other characters for %xx characters and that is bumping it over a limit? Or its just not getting converted back to [ ].
hyd
New User
New User

Post by hyd »

is there a simple way to reproduce this? ideally in a VM.

The only way I can think of to pin point this is either for me to reproduce it in a debugger, or one of you who already can reproduce it, run a debug build of qBitTorrent/libtorrent to figure out exactly which call it is that fails with INVALID_PARAMETER. In more recent versions of libtorrent the information of which calls fail is included in the error message reported back, but not in 0.16.x.
retrokid
New User
New User

Post by retrokid »

Just tested it out with the latest stable version of qBitTorrent (same version of libtorrent as Deluge, 0.16.18.0), same torrent, same folder on the same HDD, and it went through without a problem. Could it be a Deluge<->libtorrnt interface problem?
hyd
New User
New User

Post by hyd »

another theory is that it's tied to disabling OS cache for read and writes.

anyone seeing this error, are any of the settings "disk_io_write_mode" or "disk_io_read_mode" set to "disable_os_cache" or "disable_os_cache_for_aligned_files"?
if so, please try to set it to "enable_os_cache" and see if you can still reproduce it.