deluge creates lots of useless empty folders

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
jorobe
New User
New User

deluge creates lots of useless empty folders

Post by jorobe »

I was just wondering if there's a way to stop deluge creating every folder in a torrent when nothing is being downloaded into it. Its not really a bug I know, its just really irritating.
And before you comment on it, yes I know deluge has to download corresponding files in order to obtain full chunks but that not what happening here. I have a torrent with 250 directories in it and even if I only download one item from the first folder it still creates them all.
And sorry if this has already been covered, apparently folder and directory are too common to search for :?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: deluge creates lots of useless empty folders

Post by Cas »

Nearly missed the distinction you made about empty folders and not partial files. :)

There is a plugin that attempts to workaround the issue of partial files that may still be useful: http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... =9&t=28915
jorobe
New User
New User

Post by jorobe »

thanks for the response but that's not what what I was hoping for;
TomSoul wrote:Yes, the files are still created when a torrent is active. There is no way around this, I think.
A fix for that junk was what I was looking for, but TomSoul seems to think this useless function of deluge can not be fixed :?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

It is most likely libtorrent that is creating these folders. So functionality change would be needed in libtorrent before Deluge can make use of it.
jorobe
New User
New User

Post by jorobe »

ah right, sorry I wasn't sure deluge used libtorrent, guess I'll have to look there.
jorobe
New User
New User

Post by jorobe »

nope, and now this post is what comes up when I google the topic, does anyone know how I turn off this stupid god damn feature?!
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

I think you are the first person to mention this issue so I am not surprised it appears in a google search.

There is currently no way to 'turn it off'. Libtorrent creates all the folders when a torrent starts so it would require Deluge to check and delete any empty ones.

Edit:
The actual functionality that is needed is exactly the same as for the partial files, where they are hidden away in a file/folder. Otherwise lt will keep trying to recreate these folders.

A quick way to remove the folders on linux is to use cleanlinks once deluge has finished downloading:

Code: Select all

cd myDir
cleanlinks