a few "new deluge user" remarks

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
eldon
New User
New User

a few "new deluge user" remarks

Post by eldon »

Hi,

i've been testing some linux bittorrent clients to move away from azureus and i thought i'd found a good candidate with deluge (1.1.5) but after running it with my torrents for a few days i'm a bit confused as to how deluge handles them.

1 - In fact after adding my torrents to deluge i first noticed that it was having a real hard time finding peers for uploads, although all my ratios are at 0 as my torrents were just added.
It seems that the Auto Manage thingy isn't doing much so i was wondering what was the best way to handle seeding in deluge.

i'm pretty surprised by that problem because it looks a lot like prioritizing the torrents is one of the most important part of the protocol and using a client that can't do it properly would be a bad idea.

Now when i turn Auto manage off on some torrents, deluge starts uploading just fine but then i wonder how it will manage those uploads on a long time period.
Azureus is quite efficient at handling its queue and it's quite obvious that torrents with less peers get a better upload priority/ratio than others which is exactly what we should expect.

Would some experienced users care to comment on the upload queue management in deluge. Is it really a weakness in deluge as i'm suggesting it is ?

2 - The other "not so good" thing i noticed since i've been using deluge is that it seems to cripple my network quality pretty badly.
I'm using mrtg to monitor my network and have a ping graph that shows the speed of the packets doing a roundtrip to my ISP gateway and when deluge is running my average ping reponse time starts to show some really high peaks that weren't there when i was using azureus. I'm using the same upload speed and same max number of peers connections.

Should i take extra care of tuning deluge networking usage or is it a known "problem" ?

On the other hand i didn't have any problems with downloads and the speed looked pretty good, and cpu wise it looked also quite good, overall system charge dropped significantly when moving from azureus to deluge.

If you wish to comment on my comments please do so, i've been using deluge only for a few days so i might have overlooked some important configuration tweaks.
thx
fourreux

Re: a few "new deluge user" remarks

Post by fourreux »

@1

If I get you right, you got the same issue as I did ...

For my part, I think I was able to give myself some answers. I have to say though that I'm a total new user to deluge.

I changed setting in preferences - queue to the following:

* total active torrents: 30
* total active downloading: 3
* total active seeding: 5

So as I understand these settings, deluge will monitor 30 torrents and decide then on which ones of these it will open connections ...

But I might get this radically wrong ...