Create and Upload a Torrent

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
munito
New User
New User

Create and Upload a Torrent

Post by munito »

Hi,

first of all I would like to congratulate the developers of this fantastic piece of software. I've been using version 0.5.9.3 as a download client on a Debian machine with great results for more than 4 months. Now I need to create a torrent and upload it to a site so that others can download it, but I can't figure out how to do this. This is the procedure I have followed, but it doesn't seem to work:

1. On my hard disk, I create a folder named <My Torrent> and inside it I place <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf>
2. On Deluge, I go to <New Torrent>, the <Create Torrent> window pops up:

SOURCE

Folder: here I browse the path to the <My Torrent> folder.
File: I browse the path to <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf> (which is inside the <My Torrent> folder)

TORRENT FILE

Save Torrent File As: in this field, Deluge automatically inserts the path to the file I want to share and renames it to
<File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf.torrent>

Add New Torrent to Queue: this box is automatically checked by Deluge.

TRACKERS

Here I write the URL tracker (announce) of the site where I will be uploading my file.

WEB SEEDS

I leave this filed blank.

COMMENTS

Blank.

AUTHOR

Blank

ADVANCED

Piece Size: Here I leave the default value which is 256 KiB

SET PRIVATE FLAG: Not checked.

3. I press <Save> and a window pops up asking me to choose a download directory. I choose a folder different from the one where I have <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf> and <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf.torrent>

At this point, <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf> is queued in the Deluge client and trying to connect.

4. I upload <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf.torrent> to the site. Deluge keeps trying to connect, even after <Force Recheck>, it won't upload. Instead, it thinks that the file is suppossed to be downloaded and so it goes on at 0% indefinetly.

What am I doing wrong?

I will very much appreciate any hint. Thank you.

M.
loki

Re: Create and Upload a Torrent

Post by loki »

Where you sharing a whole folder or a single file? If a whole folder put the <My Torrent> folder into your Deluge download path, or a single file put the <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf> into your Deluge download path, force recheck... should be all you need, everything else sounds right.
munito
New User
New User

Post by munito »

loki wrote:Where you sharing a whole folder or a single file?
A single file.
loki wrote:[...]a single file put the <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf> into your Deluge download path, [...]
How do I do that? In Deluge Preferences > Download Location, I've checked <Ask where to save each download>
munito wrote: 3. I press <Save> and a window pops up asking me to choose a download directory. I choose a folder different from the one where I have <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf> and <File_I_Want_To_Share.pdf.torrent>
Is this the step where I go wrong? Where should I tell Deluge to save the file?
loki

Post by loki »

No, you can save the torrent file to wherever you want. What I'm saying is you need to place the file you are wanting to seed into the location you specified in the Deluge preferences "Download location" of where you want to download the file to.
Or when it asks where to save, point it to the file... it should check the file at that point and find that it's all there and switch to seeding mode.
munito
New User
New User

Post by munito »

I've solved by following your advice, thank you.