No Connection, Port Closed

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: No Connection, Port Closed

Post by johnnyg »

to get port forwarding working you should have done the following (this would have been covered in the portforward guide)
  1. Set a single listening port in deluge (let's call it port x), you can do this by making both port numbers the same
  2. Found out your static/private ip address (run cmd then ipconfig and it's called IPv4)
  3. Gone to your router setup and forwarded your private ip on port x to the public port x for tcp
if you've done those steps then deluge should report that port x should be open.
I don't think it requires a reboot but if it doesn't work, try unplugging your router then plugging it back in and restarting your computer.

on a side note: andar you should probably contact portforward with regards to making a guide for deluge (maybe once it's officially released).
n1ko

Post by n1ko »

dkorchok wrote:Now Gentlemen, I phrased my last post as judicially as I could, because I know that many of you are volunteering your time and knowledge to this forum. But I can scarcely contain my frustration with this process. I had always thought the purpose of technology was to open up information to people, not to make it so esoteric that only the initiated can use it. I must say my feeling is that if any piece of technology cannot be operated intuitively, then the designers have failed. There is an assumption, even in the articles that I was referred to that, of course, everyone knows where a port should be forwarded to and everyone knows what values they want for various addresses, subnet masks and gateways. Well, everyone doesn't.

Don't separate the people from the technology, make the technology come to the people.
Port forwarding is beyond this software (meaning you might have to change settings in your router/modem). It doesnt matter how good /bad deluge is, torrent always needs atleast one port to be open to fully function like it should. If this in an problem for you maybe should try some other way to p2p.

Port forwarding isnt complicated and the web is full of good guides. If you cant find them yourselve or dont understand them then maybe this isnt for you. Or you can try asking for help in a forum like this BUT keep in mind that there are tons of different kinds of users. That means we dont know what kind of computer you are using, we dont know what OS you are using, we dont what kind of connection you have etc. etc. Heres some tips to get started:

1). Find out what your ip address is on the windows-machine. You can see this by opening start-menu and picking run. There you write cmd and after that ipconfig. You need this when doing port forwarding so that the device knows where to forward those packets.
2). Find out what kind of firewall(s) you have and how to do port forwarding on them. Also find out how to do port-forwarding on your modem/router. Just google with "my-device/my-firwall port forwarind"
3). Change the port in deluge (and in port forward) something other than the default port. For example 4005 or even 10002 or something like that.
4). Ask for an college/friend/relative etc. for help. P2P is so common that majority of young people knows how to do port forwaring and how to use torrent-clients =)

So what I am trying to say here is that it if you cant read it doesnt matter how simply the book is written. Same goes for anything in life. Even the most sophisticated car is hard to drive for someone who has never drove before.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

dkorchok wrote:Now Gentlemen, I phrased my last post as judicially as I could, because I know that many of you are volunteering your time and knowledge to this forum. But I can scarcely contain my frustration with this process. I had always thought the purpose of technology was to open up information to people, not to make it so esoteric that only the initiated can use it. I must say my feeling is that if any piece of technology cannot be operated intuitively, then the designers have failed. There is an assumption, even in the articles that I was referred to that, of course, everyone knows where a port should be forwarded to and everyone knows what values they want for various addresses, subnet masks and gateways. Well, everyone doesn't.

Don't separate the people from the technology, make the technology come to the people.
There are barriers to what we can do as software developers. Deluge does have support for both UPnP and NAT-PMP which allow for automatic port-forwarding on your router _and_ these options are on by default. The problem that arises is that not all routers support these protocols or simply have the option turned off. This forces the user to properly configure there system for how they want to utilize it. We can't simply program a client that would just work on every possible combination of OS and hardware. At some point user intervention is required to make things work properly.

We do our best to release a quality product (on our own spare time) and we hope that people enjoy using it.
dkorchok
New User
New User

Post by dkorchok »

I do want to thank all who have responded to my (somewhat more temperate) comments. However... I will run through step by step how I have followed your instructions and perhaps you can see where I have run afoul.

I have set the range of ports on Deluge to 50981 - 50981
I have discovered my IPv4 to be 192.168.1.113
I have gone to my router setup (it is a TP-Link WR541G), clicked on forwarding and set 'Service Port' to 50981, 'IP Address' to 192.168.1.113 and 'Protocol' to TCP and 'Status' to Enabled
I have restarted the router.

Upon testing the port I get the message 'TCP port 50981 closed on 76.70.116.19' which I believe is my external IP address.

Any suggestions?
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

dkorchok wrote:I do want to thank all who have responded to my (somewhat more temperate) comments. However... I will run through step by step how I have followed your instructions and perhaps you can see where I have run afoul.

I have set the range of ports on Deluge to 50981 - 50981
I have discovered my IPv4 to be 192.168.1.113
I have gone to my router setup (it is a TP-Link WR541G), clicked on forwarding and set 'Service Port' to 50981, 'IP Address' to 192.168.1.113 and 'Protocol' to TCP and 'Status' to Enabled
I have restarted the router.

Upon testing the port I get the message 'TCP port 50981 closed on 76.70.116.19' which I believe is my external IP address.

Any suggestions?
Those steps seem right. You may want to make sure that the forwarding configuration saved after restarting the router. Also, you will also want to forward UDP, most routers give the option to forward both TCP and UDP. The port testing page may not always give accurate results, so you may not want to rely on it entirely. If the 'No Incoming Connections' warning disappears from your statusbar, then you are good to go.
loki

Post by loki »

I noticed sometimes you may have to restart deluge to recognize the port is open.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

try going to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and seeing if it tells you if port 50981 is open.
also note the ip it's displaying: that should be your external ip.
dkorchok
New User
New User

Post by dkorchok »

Well, the setting have been retained on the router. I have changed the protocols to both TCP and UDP. I did try the http://www.canyouseeme.com site. It does tell me the port is closed, but it returns a different external ip address than I had yesterday. Is this something I should deal with?
loki

Post by loki »

You probably need to look at setting a static ip address, if you haven't already.
Meaning that if your local ip address changes your port forwarding settings will no longer apply since it was set to the old local ip...
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

dkorchok wrote:Well, the setting have been retained on the router. I have changed the protocols to both TCP and UDP. I did try the http://www.canyouseeme.com site. It does tell me the port is closed, but it returns a different external ip address than I had yesterday. Is this something I should deal with?
yeah, try putting the external ip you see on canyouseeme.org as the ip your forwarding the port to.