Pre-FAQ: Read this before you even read the FAQ.

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
infernus
New User
New User

Pre-FAQ: Read this before you even read the FAQ.

Post by infernus »

I've seen a lot of posts with people whining about how 0.9.xx isn't working right for them. I think everyone here should keep in mind that if it has the RC (release candidate) in the version name, it's not complete. Your plugins won't all work because they are all being entirely rewritten and are not all done yet. So here is my suggestion: If you don't know ALOT about beta testing or python or linux in general, just use the stable version. We all know it works. I just really don't see why all the brand new users are running release candidates and then complaining about how it doesn't work right and they're "switching to another client" or something ridiculous like that. If you don't like possibly unstable software, THEN DON'T DOWNLOAD POSSIBLY UNSTABLE SOFTWARE. Download 0.5.9.3 instead. On the other hand, if you are someone who knows what they are doing, then by all means, please download the beta release if you want to help test it so we can help the devs iron any bugs out. Thanks. This one should be sticky I think..

--
Sal.
loki

Re: Pre-FAQ: Read this before you even read the FAQ.

Post by loki »

I imagine there must be quite a few such 'new users' just entering the download page, checking out the latest RC deciding they don't like it for whatever reason not working and not even turn an eye to the forum. Thats just me though.
Badseed

Post by Badseed »

I think the best solution would be two download offers in the "Download" and "Home & news" sections: the RC as well as the last stable version (not that RC isn't stable on its own, but still is a Beta). This way both novice users and beta testers will be able to meet their needs, without the former getting trouble using the software (and Deluge not losing users) and the latter getting trivial problem reports from the former ;)
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

infernus wrote:I just really don't see why all the brand new users are running release candidates and then complaining about how it doesn't work right and they're "switching to another client" or something ridiculous like that.
Perhaps the developers might want to make the stable version available on the main download page. New users are confused, because the latest release candidate is what is being offered for download. It's also does not state that the latest release candidate has limited functionality. While I'm not personally complaining I can certainly understand why someone else might be confused. I am new to the forums here, but I am not a new Deluge user, and I must admit even I was caught off guard when I realized the plugin limitation. Of course that won't stop me from using this latest release candidate.