username does not exist

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
buzzwallard
New User
New User

username does not exist

Post by buzzwallard »

I have some serious misconfiguration somewhere. For example when running deluge-gtk, or deluge-console I get 'username does not exist' no matter what username I offer to the connection manager.deluge I see two locations for username and none of the usernames are recognized:

1. in the auth files at
.~/.config/deluge/auth
. /srv/deluge/.config/deluge/auth

Code: Select all

localclient:******:10
buzz:*****:10

where '***' is a legal password(localclient is not changed after install)

2. in the /lib/systemd/system/deluged.service.d/user.conf/ file we see

Code: Select all

[Service]
User=deluge
Group=deluge

deluge-web will open for password 'deluge' but displays a blank screen and though will accept a torrent link for 'add' will not display it.
ambipro

Re: username does not exist

Post by ambipro »

You probably need to click on connection manager and connect it to the RPC daemon.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

As an additional note, you have to edit the connection, you can't just use the prompt that happens when you connect.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

As ambipro stated webui not connected presumably, plus that password parsing issue, but regardless my point just being that you need login with the entries in /srv/deluge/.config/deluge/auth , and ignore the ~/.config/deluge/auth, as not used, and only thing used there are hostlist.conf but you don't need that as will be generated when adding login in UI. Note that is for when starting deluged from systemd I.e deluged under deluge user. Also, need edit auth with deluged closed, as else not read.
buzzwallard
New User
New User

Post by buzzwallard »

ambipro wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:17 am As an additional note, you have to edit the connection, you can't just use the prompt that happens when you connect.
deluge-gtk is working great using the credentials in the /srv/deluge ... auth file. I can see the downloading seeding torrents and manage them using the UI. Noting that deluge-gtk

However deluge-console:
I created a new connection using the user/pass in the /srv/deluge ...auth file and that opens a screen on the connection but it shows no activity.

Deluge-web opens and will accept new torrents but does not display any torrents even after adding.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Your web instance is not connected to the RPC/deluge daemon. It is not "accepting" anything. It has no daemon to speak to...this is something we've seen before.

I don't have any personal experience with deluge-console. Sorry. @mhertz will be able to comment on that I'd expect.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

@ambipro, Thank you my friend :)

@buzzwallard, Yes the input parsed as string so port needing int conversion, and I made a ticket about it a few years ago google reminded me, and DjLegolas gracefully submitted PR, commited later by Cas, so is already fixed in develop branch and will be in next deluge 2.1.2.

Instead of patching code locally, then personally would just simply edit hostlist.conf manually on client side i.e. with your example using localclient, then no need add anything to '/srv/deluge/.config/deluge/auth' and can just copy said localclient password of said auth file and paste into '~/.config/deluge/hostlist.conf' and replace old password of localclient entry, which is on the last line of entry, and then can just login as localclient with a return press in deluge-console afterwards.

You can add new entries also of-course, instead just using default localclient, just don't break the json formating, so add a comma after the entries end-bracket before copy/pasting in a new entry(duplicating old entry), and finally note that the top line of each entry contains an id, which needs be unique to show in connection manager, so e.g. flip a char somewhere in the id to make different from preceding entry. Don't need deluged stopped for editing hostlist.conf btw, only deluge-console(or whatever client in question) need not running for that.

Lastly, there's another relevant issue I thought mention, which I have a PR open for, but meanwhile then when changing settings in preferences pane of deluge-console, then press spacebar on Apply or OK, before pressing return/enter, to workaround current issue of settings not saved/applied, which just was a happy coincidense of the bug which I noticed we could take advantage off, instead of code-change, meanwhile.

Hope helps.