Password protect system tray not working? (Win11-2.1.1)

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Cle95
New User
New User

Password protect system tray not working? (Win11-2.1.1)

Post by Cle95 »

Just upgraded from version 1 and ended up wiping everything. Cleaned out app/data/ & program files & pf-x86.
Tried both 32 & 64 versions. played with gtk3ui.conf - i the see encrypted password. I tried setting password from settings.

I wanna say the password dialog actually worked when adding a torrent but I not 100% positive of that experience.edited as not working

For sure i cannot get deluge to open up from the tray after submitting the password.

Anyone can confirm this is still working? Other things i can think about is the windows registry which i didn't touch because i didn't see anyone mention anything about it. The only folder i kept from the migration was the "state" folder.

Any tips or help? thank you in advance
Last edited by Cle95 on Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhertz

Re: Password protect system tray not working? (Win11-2.1.1)

Post by mhertz »

Have you tried edit gtk3ui.conf in '%appdata%\deluge' with deluge closed, to remove line 'tray_password', and change 'lock_tray' from 'True' to 'False' or just delete it('False' by default). Then start deluge again.
Cle95
New User
New User

Post by Cle95 »

I appreciate your help. I did try that. And the app will just not open while it's password protected.

Other thing, while password protected, if i download a new torrent, the password box opens and i can see the incoming files to be added to deluge, if i type either the wrong password or correct password, the new files will get added to deluge. I still won't see deluge as its still hidden but the files did get added even with a wrong password.
Cle95
New User
New User

Post by Cle95 »

I went ahead and installed it on a clean version of Win 11 in vmware and it exhibited the same issue. Both of these versions have been attempted. It's a bug.

deluge-2.1.1-win64-setup.exe
deluge-2.1.1-win32-setup.exe
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I tested this a few months ago actually, I remember(same version). Sorry forgot say need kill tray when editing gtk3ui.conf as else deluge still running. If did do that, then rename %appdata%\deluge to end in -bak or alike with deluge/tray closed(check task-manager to be certain not running), to generate new (working) config.
Cle95
New User
New User

Post by Cle95 »

this was all attempted... also, like i stated, i also tested a new install on a clean win11 image in vmware. Please note, i am not running 23H2.
Cle95
New User
New User

Post by Cle95 »

this is my last update on testing...

deluge-2.1.1-win64-setup.exe
deluge-2.1.1-win64-lt2.0-setup.exe

do not open from tray with a password on a clean install of Windows 10 in Vmware.

settings:
X Enable system tray icon
X Minimize to try on close
Start in Tray
X Password protect system tray

Can someone point me to the EXE for version 2.1.0 or 2.0, or even back to the old 1.X?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

https://archive.org/details/deluge-1.3.15-win32-py2.7

I uploaded it for someone else on archive.org....
Cle95
New User
New User

Post by Cle95 »

@ambipro thank you... back in business. my dpi scaling is blurry but better to be safe than sorry... password works.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I'm sorry, when I said I had tested this before, then I ment the workaround for clearing password, and I just reconfirmed that - as said need deluge/tray closed first, so either 'win+r > cmd > 'taskkill /f /im deluge.exe'' or simply restart windows and make change afterwards, as not possible to right-click and kill tray, as password protected(presumably task-manager would also allow force this, forgot test that).

Anyway, I troubleshooted it a little and know where fails, though haven't found the reason for it yet, but will mess little more with it later and probably make a bug-report or alike, if finding the culprit - well irregardless i'll report it nonetheless, just prefer add solution also. (In short, get_text() from the password-dialog's gtk.entry(), returns empty strangely, and hence fails later check against stored password in settings obviously.)

In addition to ambipro's kind and helpful linkage/upload, then the previous deluge v2.1.0 is also available from the official download link and previous versions e.g. on filehorse etc. I haven't tested that myself yet though.

I will probably just add an edit later, with link to ticket when getting around to it. Thanks for making aware :)