[Split]: Sites indexing public torrent data

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Port Issue

Post by Menard »

OK but anyway the privacy you get is due to the correct use of a VPN, right ? However with a correctly used VPN a tracker that I described here, is not leaking my privacy, right ? Except perhaps if an intruder on this site can see me by the forum and access to what I am seeding or downloading (iIdon't know but its perhaps possible)
ambipro

[Split]: Sites indexing public torrent data

Post by ambipro »

No. The privacy I get is because this site scrapes PUBLIC trackers and DHT. It makes no difference whether I use a VPN or not because iknowwhatyoudownload does not have access to the trackers to even try and scrape/index what I'm doing there.

A VPN would potentially help on a public tracker to potentially avoid your actual IP being associated with the torrenting, if configured properly. However, if improperly configured, it could leak your IP all the same.

This entire premise is inherent in how and why things are set up the way the community is.

Private trackers require invitation because you need to be trusted, their rules are very strict in comparison to any other tracker and it's laughable to think that there is a public site scraping their peer lists and every torrent. They would notice, and the account they use would be banned very quickly. Thinking that they could obtain new IP addresses, emails, and especially invites every week or less to accomplish this is absurd.

Semi-private requires accounts, but are more easily available (varying from just registering to the occasional opening of registration to the public) and thus are at a "lower" tier of privacy and subjective quality....hence "semi". The content might be the same as a private on semi, but it's going to, almost always, be slower in propagating from it releasing. Not to mention the quality of the seeding/retention not being as consistent.

Public trackers are just like standing on the street yelling from the corner "This is what I'm doing" You will be subjected to downloading/uploading to/from a pool of people you have no way of knowing are trustworthy, their connection quality could be pathetic, and almost no one has any REAL motivation to seed anything because there is no account and ratio associated with your activity. Being short-sighted, if you download at the initial upload and the torrent is popular, you will most likely not notice this. Go back to a niche torrent several years old, and you will easily see what I'm talking about when comparing it to something recent. These trackers also lie, incredibly so, about the number of seeds on a torrent. Often times you will see a site say there are 60 seeders on a torrent only to try to grab it and see it do absolutely nothing.

I'm not going to list every single problem with public, we would be here all day, but in almost every measure they are far inferior to ANYTHING in a more exclusive tier.

If your setup works for you, and all you care about is the end result (content), then any of these is probably fine. If you value privacy, speed, retention, community, and general ease of use...you should strive to move towards getting away from public.

It's like driving an old shitty car. If that's all you have and know, it's fine. But once you drive a Ferrari it permanently ruins everything about that **** car. The shitty car was always shitty, you just didn't know what "better" was like...

Public trackers are the shitty car.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Re: [Split]: Sites indexing public torrent data

Post by Menard »

OK it's OK like I do and I download and upload only in torrents that are old in years and so with a very few peers and with my connection it is ok ... it is a 95/4.9 connection (supposed 100/5)