[Split]: Sites indexing public torrent data

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Baneling

[Split]: Sites indexing public torrent data

Post by Baneling »

Menard wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:53 am
I don't want to test it without the VPN because I don't want to be fired by this website that tracks us ...
What website is tracking you?
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Port Issue

Post by Menard »

Baneling wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:11 pm
What website is tracking you?
I hesitate to post it too much but it is the iknowwhatyoudownload website ... a reputated russian, site
but know that it is quite a friendly site because it flags you only 2 weeks (if you stop)
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

I can almost guarantee this site looks at public trackers or DHT and indexes the people seeding there and what they are seeding.

It's all pubic data anyway.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

ambipro wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:29 am

What do you mean by this ?
Anyway is too much ... public makes it breaks our privacy, but the good side effect is that it allows us to be more private because we can check if we have some privacy breaches in our system
I don't really know what their purpose is ... one possibility is exposing those on what they download to fight some deviant behaviour, but anyway it is illegal to expose what people download
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Menard wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:31 am
ambipro wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:29 am

What do you mean by this ?
Anyway is too much ... public makes it breaks our privacy, but the good side effect is that it allows us to be more private because we can check if we have some privacy breaches in our system
I don't really know what their purpose is ... one possibility is exposing those on what they download to fight some deviant behaviour, but anyway it is illegal to expose what people download
It would be best if you learned more about what you use. Public trackers and DHT are accessible by anyone, so I can look up a public tracker's torrent and see who is seeding or downloading. That is why it's called public.

Private trackers are not, and therefore will not be listed on this site.

That is how it works, just like you can go download it, so can anyone. If anyone can download it, seed/peers are listed. It is public data.

It is not "deviant" behavior, except that they publish it on an easy-to-read website. You are giving this information to anyone who looks by seeding or downloading publicly available torrents.

source: https://iknowwhatyoudownload.com/en/contacts/
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

ambipro wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:06 am

It would be best if you learned more about what you use. Public trackers and DHT are accessible by anyone, so I can look up a public tracker's torrent and see who is seeding or downloading. That is why it's called public.

That is how it works, just like you can go download it, so can anyone. If anyone can download it, seed/peers are listed. It is public data.

It is not "deviant" behavior, except that they publish it on an easy-to-read website. You are giving this information to anyone who looks by seeding or downloading publicly available torrents.

Private are listed too
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Menard wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:03 pm
ambipro wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:06 am

Private are listed too
No, they are not. I've searched my IP, and it shows no results.

They tell you they use DHT (public) and are parsing torrent sites on the link I gave you. Scraping entire private torrent sites would get their account banned VERY quickly. Downloading hundreds of thousands of .torrent files from a site, and never downloading or seeding would get their accounts banned very quickly. Not to mention that they would need to gain an invite in the first place to even access the private sites. Finally, they only claim to have 11 million torrents. The math doesn't add up. Every individual private site has its own copy of a torrent. This number would be far greater.

Believe whatever you want. Makes no difference to me. But you are incorrect.

Maybe you don't know what makes a private tracker private.

Edit: To clarify, if it is a semi-private site, perhaps they are able to get an account there and scrape it. But this is not the same thing as private and those sites are garbage anyway.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

Not really incorrect because private is private, for a long time these sites were open to anybody who want to take an account and some didn't change this so I don't understand why I should call them semi-private. So if you compare to a party, those which are private, need an invitation ... but for trackers the usage was to call private those one even which don't need an invitation.
Anyway I understand who both differ to each other regardless the iknowwhatyoudownload status if the users
I don't see why calling all them "garbage", it is far from the reality I know
mhertz

[Split2]: Sites indexing public torrent data

Post by mhertz »

Not to butt in, but as ambipro stated, then the issue is moot because they(iknowwhatyoudidlastsummer site or whatever the frick :) ) apparently only use dht(regardless of UI settings, if private flag of torrent set, then libtorrent disables dht for it). Not speaking for ambipro, and you're free to your opinion of-course, but in reality, well respected private places are, well, pretty private I would gather :)
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

I'm not going to entertain this much further, it is off-topic and as the saying goes, "You can't tell someone something that thinks they already know everything"....but to give a last attempt to "educate" you, and anyone reading this in the future, let me reiterate and clarify things.

You do not seem to understand the generally accepted terms for trackers, or how BitTorrent functions, so I will explain a bit in detail.
  • 1. The vast majority of true private trackers are/were never open to register. If they were, it was almost always for brief periods, only at their creation. They may recruit at some point, but applications to these sites are less common, and this method of gaining an account is inversely proportional to their age, in the likelihood and potential for success to gain an account.

If a tracker opens registrations periodically, advertises ways to get an account in ways other than an invite (promotions/open reg), or has limited-time public registration codes, it is considered "semi-private" (there are a few sites that do this, they are not private sites).

Public sites do not require an account to access anything.

These are the terms widely accepted in the torrenting scene. You can call them whatever you want, but that does not make it accurate. Blue is blue even if you refer to it as black.

2. iknowwhatyoudownload openly admits where it sources its data from, and a little bit of understanding will tell you it's not from private sites. They say they use DHT and scraping torrent sites. Private sites do not allow you to scrape, they almost all would see this traffic as unusual usage and conclude "This account is scraping, this is against the rules" and your account would be banned. You can read the rules of private sites and see this is the case.

Also, downloading several hundred thousand torrents from a private site, and never actually using the account itself would trigger more concern. Security is a big deal to almost every decent private site, and someone tracking all of their torrents publicly is a huge concern. Any private site worth their salt actively has measures in place to prevent this, and wouldn't sit back while its users are publicly tracked. If they did, the site would die. I guarantee this.

3. Private/semi-private/public are terms that are clearly defined and accepted by the community at large. If the site does not require an invitation, how exactly do you consider it private? As I said you can call a color a different name, but it doesn't make it correct.

4. I do not show up in any capacity on iknowwhatyoudownload. I'm seeding over 6500 torrents across 10 private trackers.

5. Using a site that has no privacy for what you download and leaves you vulnerable to being tracked is a pretty big indicator (to me, at least) that the site is what most would consider "garbage" - whether you get what you want from it content-wise is the only qualification for a good tracker.

If you have an email account that anyone can access and read, but you are still able to receive your emails, is that a good email provider? No.
There are other factors than "technically functional" when you talk about these things in particular.

As I said, you can believe what you want. But you don't seem open to being better informed by anyone with evidence and experience beyond your own.

I'm not going to just let you run around spewing FUD and misinformation about things, though.

Thus, I'm posting this for posterity and the hope that you would like to learn about the things you use.