Deluge Crashing on Windows

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Eros
New User
New User

Deluge Crashing on Windows

Post by Eros »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help explain why my Deluge keeps crashing at random on Windows. This has been going on for the last couple of months, I've tried switching from either 'Thin Client' to 'Standalone' Mode and yet the crashes still occur. I've extracted the report I am getting continiously from the Event Viewer but as you can see, it doesn't specify what particular file / module / issue is causing the problem.

I have 1,300 torrents seeding but I also have the 'ItConfig' addon installed under 'High Performance Settings' but I believe my PC should be able to handle it consider it's 6 months old, and has a high CPU / RAM. Likewise, the random 'crashing' has been occuring prior to the add-on being installed.

-----

Faulting application name: deluge.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62cac6dc
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
Faulting process id: 0x0x8634
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9FE1FEE8509C5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 7325410b-c868-4f24-9ba9-b9b10dfd92c7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

-----

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated! Happy to provide any setting details and / or other information you might need.

Many thanks in advance!
mhertz

Re: Deluge Crashing on Windows

Post by mhertz »

If having yarss2 plugin installed, unfortunately there's still an unresolved crashing issue.

If using 'stats' plugin and/or 'preferences' > 'interface' > 'enable a pieces bar in status tab', then has a crashing issue(Cairo related, fixed by Cas in develop branch).

If neither these, then enable debug logging and see if any errors get logged at time of crash, and can post snippet here if wanted.
Eros
New User
New User

Post by Eros »

Hello,

Many thanks for your support! I don't have the yarss2 plugin installed, instead I have the 'ItConfig' Plugin installed (URL - https://github.com/ratanakvlun/deluge-ltconfig). Regardless, I have disabled this in the last 24 hours. I have also changed the settings and unchecked the 'show a pieces bar in Status tab' as well.

Unfortunately with both of these actions, the crash occured again overnight.

For debug logging and the link you had provided, I am unsure what I need to do. Is the tutorial asking me to 'open & run' the debug version of deluge and then run the command prompt seperately? If so, the deluge-debug.exe file simply brings up a blank command prompt for me. When i run the command script, it brings up a blank notepad file with no errors.

Apologies if i am misunderstanding!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

No problem :)

You can if wanted just use the normal exe's, up to you(for others maybe interested, the debug exe's are built with unsupressed stdout/err output from pyinstaller, but isn't though neither propogated to file-log, so unless actually also looking at the cmd-output, besides the optional logfile, then irrelevant if using or not). Anyway, if not using thinclient, then enable logging for deluge.exe(or debug version if wanted - better but not always needed, and as said need manual observation additionally). If using thinclient, then need enable debugging for both deluge.exe and deluged.exe(don't wanna keep repeat the debug part lol). You can start it from a cmd-prompt, or run-box(win+r), or change your desktop-shortcut temporarily i.e. rightclick deluge-shortcut and select properties and press arrow-right once(so adds a space after the deluge command in 'Target' box of deluge.exe properties), and copy/paste, or enter: '-L debug -l %userprofile%\Desktop\deluge.log', and select 'Apply > OK'. Maybe change '-L debug' to '-L info' optionally, as if running for some time then really big log produced otherwise, but your call(and 'debug' level possibly can enlighten further through enhanced context).
Eros
New User
New User

Post by Eros »

Apologies, I feel like I'm asking alot of silly questions! :?

I'm using the standalone client. I had created a shortcut like you had said, and inputted the edits on the 'target' field & pasted the parameters you had mentioned. I then proceed to enter the command field line required line by following what is mentioned in this URL (https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Tro ... ugeLogging). This created an empty text field file on my desktop.

Since then, my Deluge has crashed several times and no error has been outputted into the log text file on my desktop. I had opened the Deluge each time via the shortcut with the target field edited each time therefore, but no error reporting is appearing on the text file.

Completely appreciate that I'm acting like quite a novice, but perhaps I am missing something fairly obvious! I had disabled all plugins in the last couple of days as well.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Your log file will be extensive throughout the program running. It won't just produce entries in the text file when it errors or anything.

It might be permission-related? You can try running it as administrator, but that is probably not the issue, to be honest.

Sorry for butting in :P
Eros
New User
New User

Post by Eros »

It's not a problem :), I've just done this now by closing deluge and opening the shortcut (with the target field debugging parameters) and selecting 'run as administrator' via right click. I'll see what happens in the next 24 hours & respond accordingly.

Perhaps this is a daft question but is there any other method for me to utilise what exactly is causing Deluge to crash? Or is there anything I need to provide by way of screenshots in order to assist?

I'm this 'close' to putting this into a Virtual Desktop via Linux and hoping it will be more stable from there..
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

You should immediately see things in the logs, it's not necessary to wait. If Deluge is running and you see nothing in the log file, something is not right in your shortcut.
Eros
New User
New User

Post by Eros »

Thanks Ambipro, below is the screenshot of the settings for my shortcut. The full pathway in the 'target' field is

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe" -L debug -l %userprofile%\Desktop\deluge.log

Is there anything I have done incorrectly? Seperately, the text log file was created originally by the command prompt i had done when following the tutorial via this URL (https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Tro ... ugeLogging). However, if I'm sure Deluge is able to put data in the log file when it was already created?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

No prob eros, we're a friendly bunch here :) (@ambipro, and you're never butting in my friend, so please do :) )

Anyway, forget the logging article, and opening the shortcut enough. Maybe reboot just in case(if file locked somehow,) as the desktop should be writable by your user. As ambipro stated, it should write all kinds of data to that file immediately(just tested in my VM to see if maybe only written out to file at closing deluge, couldn't remember, but no, happens immediately, as ambipro stated).

Btw, these kinds of crashing issues are usually really hard to pinpoint, so i'm afraid that you shouldn't get your hopes up too high, but just in case we could see something, e.g. if nothing else then to report to the devs.

Last, if using libtorrent 2.0.x(can see which version used from 'help > about' menu), then could try the 1.2.x version instead, also as some select few has reported OOM issues crashing the app in question I believe(though on linux the few I read, I believe, about actually crashing I mean) - you can with deluge stopped, rename the libtorrent file in 'C:\Program Files\Deluge' into end in -bak' or whatever, and add the 1.2.x version into that folder, I have it here if interested(from pypi where deluge gets it from too - I just extracted/renamed/uploaded for easy access of updated versions merely): https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ajl1yq0BfB-dgt45ZVU ... Q?e=kDnaJW (Use the one in 1.2.19-x64 folder - can also if wanted try the 2.0.9-x64 one, for newest 2.0.x version to test).

Good luck.