What kind of server to chose on VPNs ?

Menard
Leecher
Leecher

What kind of server to chose on VPNs ?

Post by Menard »

Hi

I wonder what can bring a special server for torrents provided by vpns, I used to chose the same server than for anything, I don't even know if it is a TCP or UDP server ... and it seems to work well, but sometimes when I have some problems with a torrent I wonder if it is relevant to try to find something else
mhertz

Re: What kind of server to chose on VPNs ?

Post by mhertz »

Personally I took some countries I liked and speed/ping tested the urls, individual IPs if feeling thorough, and then choose thereafter, though can of-course change from time to time as not static situation. Also if some not support torrenting and/or port-forwarding(if at all), but since works for you atleast often, then non-issue there.

I'm still using openvpn protocol, where udp recommended if remember right, hence choose that here.

Yeah, good idea try if server-change fixes intermittent issues, or recheck speed-test of current possibly problematic IP so know if related or not.

Not an expert in this though, by any means admittedly.
Samui
New User
New User

Post by Samui »

There are a few benefits to using a special torrent server provided by a VPN:

Improved performance: VPN servers are typically optimized for speed and throughput, which can lead to faster download and upload speeds for torrents.
Increased security: VPN servers encrypt your traffic, which makes it more difficult for copyright trolls and other malicious actors to track your online activity.
Reduced risk of throttling: Some ISPs throttle torrent traffic, but they are less likely to do so if you are using a VPN server.
Whether or not you need to use a special torrent server from your VPN depends on a few factors, such as your ISP's policies and the performance of your regular VPN server. If you are experiencing slow download speeds or frequent problems with torrents, it may be worth trying a special torrent server to see if it improves the situation.

Using VPN servers while sharing pictures of a beautiful rosemary wreath has been a delightful experience. VPNs ensure my online privacy and security, allowing me to share personal snapshots of this aromatic creation with confidence. The rosemary wreath, adorned with fragrant herbs, is not only a visual delight but also an embodiment of nature's beauty. VPNs enable me to connect to servers worldwide, enhancing the accessibility of my pictures to a global audience. Whether I'm sharing my wreath on social media or with friends, the added layer of anonymity and encryption provided by VPNs ensures that my digital interactions remain as safe and beautiful as the wreath itself.

To determine if your VPN server is TCP or UDP, you can consult the documentation for your VPN client or contact your VPN provider. TCP is a more reliable protocol than UDP, but it can be slower. UDP is a faster protocol, but it is less reliable. For torrents, TCP is generally the preferred protocol, but UDP may be a better option if you are experiencing problems with TCP.

Overall, using a special torrent server from your VPN is a good way to improve the performance, security, and reliability of your torrent downloads. However, it is not necessary for everyone. If you are not having any problems with torrents, then there is no need to switch to a special torrent server.
Last edited by Samui on Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

OK but perhaps with my internet connection whose speed is 95/4.9 perhaps I won't see any difference (?)
For encryption I believed the vpn was encrypting all trafic (?) but if not I have the encryption enabled in Deluge, is this the solution ?
No trouble with my ISP
Reliability ? weird because I believed torrents were checked by the bittorrent application, anyway I allways do a recheck at the end before to transfer to final storage, it is the solution no ?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

If you are getting around 85-95% of your "rated" speed when downloading well-seeded torrents, or running speedtests (speedtest.net for instance) then I wouldn't worry about using a VPN to increase your speed.

For encryption/privacy, a VPN if used properly can mask your DNS traffic, which if you use https trackers only and Full-Stream and Enabled both incoming and outgoing encryption in deluge would be all your ISP could potentially see.

To expand, if you don't have a proper VPN set up, this could still potentially be leaked (DNS) - and you could always look into using DoT/DoH or DNSCrypt (https://www.dnscrypt.org/ - this is what I recommend) - dnscrypt can manage your DNS queries with their protocol or DoT/DoH (DNS over TLS/HTTPS). Some router firmwares/hardware even supports this natively, ddwrt does.

As far as rechecking your torrents immediately AFTER you download them....this seems pretty unnecessary since it was checked as it was downloaded JUST THEN, but do you. If you're transferring the data to a NAS or something after that, the best option would be just to get a hash, SHA-1 or something, and then after its moved compare the hash if you are worried about corruption. This should be faster and just as accurate.

If you're really set on secure, private, encrypted communications....it's usually not as simple as just "get a VPN and install it" - they claim it is...but only a few actually do it right with just their VPN client.

You're at the edge of the rabbit hole that is actual secure and private internet access. It goes so deep.

Google is your friend. Make sure if you're going to torrent with a VPN that you're VPN provider supports port forwarding, ideally with a port you can pick.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection (DPI) is usually more of a specific target kind of thing, although some ISPs and Governments do this at large scales, for torrent traffic it depends on where you are in the world.

VPN can sometimes circumvent DPI filtering, depending on the tolerances and traffic-shaping algorithms used.

It is a rabbit hole, and without specifics that you would not want to give out online, the decision is best made by you and your relevant research.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Yeah, my comment was more geared toward clarification on the subject to the OP and not at the correction of or "informing" you, despite how it might have read :P

Just a note on my opinion on the subject: torrent client traffic, if encrypted, would most certainly be weaker than any sort of RSA encryption (or the like) that a proper VPN should use, my only point was that if it's just for basic obfuscation only, you'd have a few things to tackle.

I think we've pretty much covered more concerns than commonly necessary, though. Anything needing privacy past this degree is far outside the scope of something I'd advise specifics on, due to the implied risks obviously being much greater for the user.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks bro, appreciate your comment. I was unsure about was even directed at me or not, but regardless, correcting or informing me fully welcomed BTW, I appreciate learning something new, or getting called out if wrong. Thanks for your kind post bro :)

Sorry to OP for derailing maybe.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

I am sorry, it is a hard work for me to understand from english to french about these subjects so it can take some time, generally I don't use the translator but here it is necessary and not sure it is enough
I ve allready solved the problem that is with Deluge some IP can leak, and especially we can check it on this website that tracks us, it seems very performing, because if I fail with my vpn, generally I forgot to shutdown Deluge when restoring the current internet ... I am fired in a few minutes ...

I ve allready tried DNScrypt but it was too complicated, I stopped then and also because then something made I had to use a VPN and I considered that with the VPN the subject of the DNS was closed
though I was able to install, set and check Unbound as local DNS resolver, I use it as a killswitch associated with UFW firewall so that when the VPN disconnect, nothing can bypass, I suppose that ping -I enp1s0 (my connection) giving no answer is enough to know that
Unbound is also able to use DNS encryption

NB : I goes on translating all your stuff
Last edited by Menard on Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

I don't really understand what you mean about "what IP listed in the swarm" how do I know this IP ? how do I control it ?
and also for the https, both questions ... is it to say that I shouldn't use an UDP VPN server ? because it doesn't support https (?)
"if you use https trackers only and Full-Stream" > I don't know what it is, both

But I understood that the encryption could be easily better by the VPN than by the client, but how can I know if my Vpn provider uses an encryption ? and of which level ?

I ve noticed that if it had a good level of encryption, I could disable the client encryption and have a better connectivity

Which to chose in Deluge ? handshake, fullstream or either ?