Port Issue

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Baneling

Re: Port Issue

Post by Baneling »

Ok so I got Private VPN which has port forwarding. It doesn't seem to let you pick your own port, you have to use the port it picks. So I put that number in deluge's incoming port and outgoing port. I also disabled the port forwarding in my router. But deluge still says "no incoming connections, check port forwarding". Do I need to delete the deluge entries in the windows firewall?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Put the port in incoming port, and leave outgoing as default unless having specific reason otherwise - never same atleast. I had Pia in older times, and they had a web api for scripting this process, so not have to change manually, don't know if still same and to lazy look up honestly, but food for thought. Firewall rules can you delete if for old port, just the router forwarding important to disable as you did. If still issue then check e.g an online open port tester and input vpn IP and the forwarded port and see if open - Google open port test etc..
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

mhertz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:15 am Put the port in incoming port, and leave outgoing as default unless having specific reason otherwise - never same atleast. I had Pia in older times, and they had a web api for scripting this process, so not have to change manually, don't know if still same and to lazy look up honestly, but food for thought. Firewall rules can you delete if for old port, just the router forwarding important to disable as you did. If still issue then check e.g an online open port tester and input vpn IP and the forwarded port and see if open - Google open port test etc..
I didn't understand everything you typed. So disable all windows firewall rules relating to the torrent client?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yes.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

mhertz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:35 pmYes.
When I did that, port forwarding failed using the canyouseeme.org port tester. I turned them back on and the test passed. But the rules don't have the correct port number though.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

You want to use the VPN IP, not your IP. We are not trying to leak your real IP.

Go to IPChicken.com or something and get your current IP address while using the VPN in your browser.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

ambipro wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:24 pm You want to use the VPN IP, not your IP. We are not trying to leak your real IP.

Go to IPChicken.com or something and get your current IP address while using the VPN in your browser.
I used the VPN ip when using the port checker.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Open ports only show open if actually have a listening socket attached to it, in addition to it being forwarded, as forwarding alone doesn't do that, so make sure that deluge is open, with correct port defined, and then run the test, through the VPN IP, as ambipro reiterated.

Btw, my current vpn works like PIA in old days atleast, in that you get assigned a random port number each time connecting, though mine needs reconnecting VPN after having gotten the port, strangely, so maybe PIA is same, cannot remember as many years ago I used it, so try that if issues still.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

mhertz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:36 pm Open ports only show open if actually have a listening socket attached to it, in addition to it being forwarded, as forwarding alone doesn't do that, so make sure that deluge is open, with correct port defined, and then run the test, through the VPN IP, as ambipro reiterated.
That's exactly what I did and the port checker says it's working, but only if the windows 10 firewall entries I had before for the torrent client are enabled. If I disable them, the port checker fails.
mhertz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:36 pm Btw, my current vpn works like PIA in old days atleast, in that you get assigned a random port number each time connecting, though mine needs reconnecting VPN after having gotten the port, strangely, so maybe PIA is same, cannot remember as many years ago I used it, so try that if issues still.
PrivateVPN has two ways: 1) you can have it work the same way in that each time you run the VPN it gives you a different port number and then you have to go into the torrent client and change it, or 2) you use one of privateVPN's preferred ip addresses but the it opens all ports so you don't have to change the port number all the time in the torrent client. But isn't it a bad idea to keep all ports open at all times?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

I guess it might be blocking ahead of the VPN...Don't know about what your VPN software is doing or the specifics of your firewall configuration