Port Issue

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Baneling

Re: Port Issue

Post by Baneling »

ambipro wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:07 pm If you use a VPN, you need port forwarding from the provider. You will need to specifically set this up to enable seeding properly.
What if my ISP does not give me my public IP address, will a VPN with port forwarding capabilities still work?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Baneling wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:28 pm
ambipro wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:07 pm If you use a VPN, you need port forwarding from the provider. You will need to specifically set this up to enable seeding properly.
What if my ISP does not give me my public IP address, will a VPN with port forwarding capabilities still work?
Yes
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

ambipro wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:39 pm
Baneling wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:28 pm
Yes
Thanks. Is there a VPN in Canada with port forwarding that you recommend?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

No, I don't make provider recommendations as it's entirely subjective and dependent on you, your ISP, and many other factors.

It's also outside the scope of supporting the client.

Google and reviews are your friends.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

Will do. Thanks for your help
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

@Baneling : no I am testing with this VPN, but with or without it is the same fail after "Test port"

---

I don't want to test it without the VPN because I don't want to be fired by this website that tracks us ...

Anyway there is something to point out : I don't understand why sometimes this warning appear on the interface, this triangle warning ... sometimes not, what can we conclude of this ? when it doesn't appear I can believe all is going well, but today I check with the test and it answers it is bad ... but the warning doesn't appear ... so what to believe, which one to believe ?

Anyway I have more than 100 torrents and the most reached the targeted ratio quite rapidly, in monthes

I don't know how to "set up" "port forwarding from the vpn"
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Menard wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:53 am @Baneling : no I am testing with this VPN, but with or without it is the same fail after "Test port"

---

I don't want to test it without the VPN because I don't want to be fired by this website that tracks us ...

Anyway there is something to point out : I don't understand why sometimes this warning appear on the interface, this triangle warning ... sometimes not, what can we conclude of this ? when it doesn't appear I can believe all is going well, but today I check with the test and it answers it is bad ... but the warning doesn't appear ... so what to believe, which one to believe ?

Anyway I have more than 100 torrents and the most reached the targeted ratio quite rapidly, in monthes

I don't know how to "set up" "port forwarding from the vpn"
If you have not set up the VPN properly, or if it is not possible to enable port forwarding, The status error at the bottom of the main window will not matter. Seeding torrents while (not actively downloading) will not function, but you will be able to upload to those YOU have connected to - for instance, while you download. This may be why the error goes away in the first place, but the "Test Active Port" still fails.

You need to refer to your VPN provider for instructions on setting up port forwarding if they support it.

The "Test Active Port" button in Preferences is the correct way to check, if it fails, your setup is not configured properly.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

ambipro wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:29 am
If you have not set up the VPN properly, or if it is not possible to enable port forwarding, The status error at the bottom of the main window will not matter. Seeding torrents while (not actively downloading) will not function, but you will be able to upload to those YOU have connected to - for instance, while you download. This may be why the error goes away in the first place, but the "Test Active Port" still fails.

You need to refer to your VPN provider for instructions on setting up port forwarding if they support it.

The "Test Active Port" button in Preferences is the correct way to check, if it fails, your setup is not configured properly.
OK, great and clear
I forgot to mention that all my torrents are seeded with success, or were, before I began to use this VPN in july and now, so after it. But if I understand well in some cases potential downloaders have not access to my torrent ? why ?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

While YOU are downloading, you connect to other peers who are also downloading. When you do this, you are able to upload to them.

Once you have completed downloading and are "Seeding" - you will not be able to receive incoming connections to upload without port forwarding set up.

The vast majority of your upload will be done while you download (without port forwarding).

Just because your torrent says "Seeding" does not mean it is successfully uploading anywhere.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

ambipro wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:45 am While YOU are downloading, you connect to other peers who are also downloading. When you do this, you are able to upload to them.

Once you have completed downloading and are "Seeding" - you will not be able to receive incoming connections to upload without port forwarding set up.

The vast majority of your upload will be done while you download (without port forwarding).

Just because your torrent says "Seeding" does not mean it is successfully uploading anywhere.
So that explains why I do most of my uploading while I'm downloading. I always wondered why. Thanks.

I recently read an article that said port forwarding is not necessary for seeding. You can still upload without it. Without port forwarding you are a passive node. You can only upload to active nodes which are nodes that have open ports. With port forwarding, you can upload to both active and passive nodes which means higher upload speeds cause you can connect to more people who are downloading.