Port Issue

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Baneling

Re: Port Issue

Post by Baneling »

Another question if I may. Why is it that when I reduce the max download speed, the upload speed also goes down? Here is a typical case for me who has 30Mbps upload and 150Mbps download, I have both speeds in the settings set to unlimited and port forwarding not working. I download a movie at 20MBps and upload is at 50kbps. Because I only upload while I'm downloading for the reason you told us earlier, I reduce the download speed so the download lasts longer so I upload for longer. But the upload goes down 10 kbps. Why is that?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

It can be a coincidence(swarm never static), and can be because peers gone down from reduced bamdwidth etc.

Btw, atleast in libtorrent, the deluge backend, technically you can upload also while not downloading, e.g. seeding, unless disabling a specific libtorrent option disabling still making outgoing connections for seeds(so actively looking for uploads to happen), enabled by default, but just often goes down when not downloading because of already connected and tit-for-tat principle/unchoking,
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

If I get a VPN with port forwarding, do I still need to setup the port forwarding and VPN client on my router? I was talking to support person from Private VPN and he said it won't work cause my router only supports VPN server and not VPN client.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

If you are using a VPN that supports port forwarding and have Deluge setup correctly, you do NOT WANT to forward your port on your router for Deluge.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

ambipro wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:12 pm If you are using a VPN that supports port forwarding and have Deluge setup correctly, you do NOT WANT to forward your port on your router for Deluge.
What about other clients such as utorrent and qbittorrent?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

The concept is not exclusive to Deluge, but networking in general. It applies to every client, but I cannot give you any support for utorrent (which you should absolutely not be using for so many reasons) and qbittorrent's VPN implementations I am only familiar with through docker containers supporting VPN....
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

ambipro wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:06 am for utorrent (which you should absolutely not be using for so many reasons)
A lot of people sat that. But why? I'm so used to using it.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

The last "good" version for its time was 2.2.1 or something, and since then they have implemented adware, tracking, and crypto mining stuff, all without giving the user any heads up.

It is by far the worst client you could be using today, and the last good version is 15 years old.

It was good for it's time, I used it in 2005 or something...but I also used Windows XP then and that was good for its time too.

I don't use Windows XP anymore.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

I see. I use 2.2.1 on one of my machines
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Then besides it being extremely outdated 15+ year old software, I guess do what works for you...