Deluge 2.1.1 - Download Speed Issues

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
ambipro

Deluge 2.1.1 - Download Speed Issues

Post by ambipro »

So previously I was downloading to a USB Removable Hard Drive and hadn't noticed any issues due to it being USB and all, but recently I set up a nice little RAID 1+0 array with 4 drives (2x2) and speeds don't seem to have improved at all. I fiddled with the cache settings and even tried downloading directly to my system drive, a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and speeds seem to stagnate around 100-150mbit (12-16MB/s) max. Multiple downloads simultaneously rarely peak above 20MB/s aggregate, on the raid array or SSD. I've benchmarked both and they are not being utilized in deluge.

Benchmarks for the RAID array are R: 505MB/s W: 205MB/s and the SSD is R: 545MB/s W: 495MB/s right before all the testing was done.

After failing to figure out what was wrong with any settings, and being able to read/write over 20x faster in every other application/instance, I downloaded a "rival" torrent client (qbittorrent) and picked a torrent file I was getting only 4-5MB/s on that had plenty of seeders, paused it, imported the same torrent into qbt, and did a "check" and resumed where it had been paused in deluge. It immediately started climbing to 35-45MB/s average.

I'm at a loss. I love deluge. I've used it for like a decade, and would love to continue to use it...but for whatever reason, it does not want to cooperate with my 500mbit fiber and storage that is fully capable of handling the same speeds.

Any advice to rectify this would be greatly appreciated.

Things I've tested to no avail:

1. Cache is set to 65535 blocks, Expires in 60s...tested lowering to 32000 blocks, nothing changed, set it back to 65535 since I have plenty of RAM.
2. Changed connection settings, half-open, and attempts/sec, but this didn't change the download speeds.
3. Tried increasing the queue to see if I could get more torrents downloading at the same time to get the total D/L speed higher than the ~20MB/s peak and 15MB/s average...not much difference.
4. Enabled Pre-Allocate Torrents in settings, no change.

Not entirely sure what the problem is, or if it's just a hard bottleneck in the program itself, however, it seems unlikely. I imagine others would have reported this if that was the case.

Am I missing something obvious? I should be saturating my internet connection, right?
nimer

Re: Deluge 2.1.1 - Download Speed Issues

Post by nimer »

How many active torrents? which libtorrent? i had similar issues on the old libtorrent 1.2.15

are u using Libtorrent 2.0.6?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

nimer wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:00 am How many active torrents? which libtorrent? i had similar issues on the old libtorrent 1.2.15

are u using Libtorrent 2.0.6?
I'm using the default installation with 2.1.1, so 1.2.15.0...qBT is using 2.0.7.0 and I have no issues there.

I'm not sure why deluge would opt for a default version of libtorrent that is a whole version behind, but I also am not sure why libtorrent would be limited so greatly by that version anyway. Weird.

I guess another test would be if we can upgrade libtorrent manually in deluge 2.1.1 and test then?

Is that possible?

I'm not sure what you mean by active torrents, if you mean total added torrents or active as in currently uploading/downloading.

Right now I have 519 torrents added and during the tests I was using between 8-12 downloads, only a couple of uploading that was insignificant... Each one of the downloads should have been able to max out my download by themselves, but total transfer - as I said - was not anywhere close to that.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

For anyone who searches or finds this thread and wonders about if it was solved, after speaking with mhertz I updated libtorrent's .pyd to 2.0.7 and it greatly improved the issue, while qBT still has higher speeds by about 15% on downloads, it's more or less a great improvement. I also grabbed his ltConfig for 2.0.x and adjusted that a bit.

Looks like deluge wasn't the real issue after all, and the problem was with the older version of libtorrent. Still a little curious how this affected me and not a lot of others seems to have this problem for how many people use deluge, but whatever. Hope this helps.

libtorrent 1.2.17 .pyd - https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages ... _amd64.whl

libtorrent 2.0.7 .pyd - https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages ... _amd64.whl

Open the following as if they were .zip files, Close/Kill deluge and rename the libtorrent.cp39-win_amd64.pyd to .bak in Deluge's directory and rename the updated libtorrent of your choice to replace the one you renamed. Start deluge back up. This is for windows, btw.

ltConfig 2.0 - viewtopic.php?p=234919#p234919

Keep in mind, these aren't officially supported, but I've had no issues yet with libtorrent 2.0.7.
Hope this helps someone experiencing this, as it did me.
nimer

Post by nimer »

sorry i didnt reply... glad you got it fixed... and thanks for the effort with links helping future users :)