Instructions on how to stop seeding on Deluge, permanently.

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Skoez
New User
New User

Instructions on how to stop seeding on Deluge, permanently.

Post by Skoez »

So I found out how to make Deluge never seed, period, then have Deluge remove your torrents when they are finished

Before anyone comments about this, I don't care about seeding, and I don't care that some of you want us to seed, it's not going to happen from me, period, I simply just don't care, and I will help anyone that does not want to seed as well.

Before we start, you will need to download Notepad++ to edit this file

You follow the same general rules as listed here
viewtopic.php?t=18105

You have to find the preferences_dialog.glade file in your Deluge folder where it's installed, open it in Notepad++ and edit some things

But you tweak some things, so for instance, the default is
property name="adjustment">2 0.5 100 0.10000000000000001 1 0</property>

You change that to this
<property name="adjustment">0 0.00 000 0.00000000000000000 0 0</property>

Once you changed that, save it, Notepad++ will have you save as administrator, do that

Then you open Deluge, go to the Edit tab, then preferences, go to the Queue tab, and under Seeding set the settings to these below
Share Ratio: -0.00
Seed Time Ratio: 0.00
Seed Time: 0
Check green "Stop seeding when share ratio reaches: 0.00"
Check green "Remove torrent when share ratio reached"

This will make it so you don't seed at all, and when your download finishes it automatically removes itself, keeping your Deluge clean.
mhertz

Re: Instructions on how to stop seeding on Deluge, permanently.

Post by mhertz »

I think it's an oversight or something in one way or another, as not consistent in any way, as you can set these things direct in core.conf and works through daemon(or classic mode in GTKUI) and then gets only overwritten by that 0.5 default when/if opening preferences in GTKUI and change something else, but e.g not when done through deluge-console config command, and don't know about webUI preferences, as never really tested that with this. If not opening preferences then works with all UIs(and daemon alone). Personally I think that limit should be removed, like is in qbittorrent etc, e.g I remember reading years ago that the qbittorrent lead author also used that setting himself.

Note, you still can upload during the download, so it's not like you're disabling uploading, which imho would be stepping over the line somewhat, but people on public torrents without VPNs and/or restricted bandwidth from ISP(or VPN in some cases), then such limiting of seeding can be arguably warranted/approved imho, though of-course it's curtesy to leave torrents running atleast some time after finishing in general.
Skoez
New User
New User

Post by Skoez »

These instructions are for Windows, not Linux and it never gets defaulted back to 0.5 for me. Also I keep uploading disabled so I don't upload while downloading either.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry for wording it confusingly. I was just talking in general and not about changing the glade ui file for the preferences dialog(strange named glade still in deluge2 as the deluge2 plugin upgrading doc states its deprecated in favor of gtkbuilder I believe and needs converting, but whatever).

I don't know if ltconfig plugin i.e libtorrent, has such settings for disabling uploading(doubt it), as never looked into that, but even if disabling incoming connections for TCP and uTP from there, or being firewalled/unforwarded by purpose, then bittorrent spec is asymmetrical and supports uploading from outgoing connections, and things like uTP features UDP hole-punching also(incoming connections to firewalled peers), so your millage may vary.

If talking about avoiding copyright strikes/letters, then people mistakenly think it comes from ISP because they send you the letter, and simply registering your real IP at a tracker, which happens automatically without VPN or proxy(or IP field of announce packet can be changed too, but not all trackers supports that field anyway, and without VPN or proxy or access to changed IP you wouldn't get a return IP list to connect to if doing that alone, and still issue of DHT if enabled) can in theory get you such letters, as some copyright firms don't wait for downloading files or pieces from you and just scrapes the tracker for relevant country IPs of certain titles of firms they represent, or atleast that was the case years ago in report about such. That could possibly have changed though, as to combat this, I remember reading trackers adding dummy IPs in between to further obfuscate the picture, but even if that, then what about decentralized things like DHT/PEX, where also announcing IP/port and can be crawled too, as this would need the actual torrent client to insert dummy IPs there also, which I've never read is done, though again could be wrong about that.

Anyway, probably way to much unneeded info and blabbing about here, so sorry about that :)

(Was just thinking about others reading this thread and possibly thinking they where "safe" or something with that alone, though OP didn't word his original post in that way either to be fair as just mentioned stopping seeding which is correct and just me overthinking it)
delpiero3
New User
New User

Post by delpiero3 »

Hello all, thanks for your quick notes how to manage turning off seeding, i am in the same position as you do, having a poor upload rate, i am trying to find solution how to deal with Deluge about the download speed, i had not that problem using transmission. My issue with editing the file you mentioned is that i am using Deluge in a docker with my OpenMediaVault installation and i don't know if this file can be located in a docker environment.
Anyone that can help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

Stop the container.

Look in your container core.conf file for this entry and change it to the desired value if 0.01 is not what you want.

"stop_seed_ratio": 0.01

Start the container.
delpiero3
New User
New User

Post by delpiero3 »

thanks for the tip, it worked out quite well, thanks.
HoppingLumper3
New User
New User

Post by HoppingLumper3 »

Hello! I tried this with the most recent version and the share ratio still defaults to 0.5. Does changing the Seeding number in Active Torrents to 0 still achieve the same result?
(If there's a more recent thread on this topic, please let me know.)
Paralel

Post by Paralel »

HoppingLumper3 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:21 pm Hello! I tried this with the most recent version and the share ratio still defaults to 0.5. Does changing the Seeding number in Active Torrents to 0 still achieve the same result?
(If there's a more recent thread on this topic, please let me know.)
Under "Active Torrents" for "Seeding" I have 0

Also, under "Seeding Rotation" for "Share Ratio" I have 0.00, for "Time Ratio" I have 0.00, for "Time (m)" I have 0.

Further, under "Share Ratio Reached" I have it unchecked.

This works for Deluge 2.1.1 on LibTorrent 2.0.6 or 2.0.7.