please remove two unnecessary UI elements

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
F for Fragging

please remove two unnecessary UI elements

Post by F for Fragging »

First of all, my thanks to the Deluge team for improving Deluge, and for creating a Windows port. Thanks to the Windows port I can finally ditch µTorrent and use Deluge when I'm forced to use Windows XP. In fact I'm so happy with Deluge that I like to reward the Deluge team with a small donation, does the Deluge team accept donations?

Now to the subject of my post. I have two minor annoyances with Deluge's UI, please take a look at the screenshot I attached to see what I mean.

The '#' column is not useful at all. Maybe I'm missing something, but all it does is give torrents a number, I don't see how this is useful functionality because I can count myself. Unfortunately it's not possible to remove this column with the View -> Columns menu option. Also there is an icon with a blue arrow in front of the name of the torrent, which tells me that my current torrent is seeding. But I can already read that my torrent is seeding in the 'Status' column, and this means that the icon is duplication.

My point is that the '#' column and the icon in front of the torrent name should be removed because they are duplicating information and are thus unnecessary clutter. And they also require that the Deluge window is wider to display them, I'd prefer a smaller window.

I was also thinking that I would be a good idea if the Deluge team put some more thought in redesigning a better UI. For example, wouldn't it be possible to remove even more columns, because the 'Details' tab in the screenshot already displays all of the info which is in displayed in the columns, and even more?
Attachments
Deluge screenshot
Deluge screenshot
deluge.png (54.62 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
gazpachoking

Re: please remove two unnecessary UI elements

Post by gazpachoking »

I am all for a customizable interface, but I wouldn't like it if either of those features were removed permanently The # column is the order in which it will download your torrents, this doesn't seem useful at first until you sort your list of torrents by something else. Then you sort by the # col to bring them back to the normal order. I also like the icon for easy visual identification of which torrents are active and what they are doing.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

gazpachoking wrote:I am all for a customizable interface, but I wouldn't like it if either of those features were removed permanently The # column is the order in which it will download your torrents, this doesn't seem useful at first until you sort your list of torrents by something else. Then you sort by the # col to bring them back to the normal order. I also like the icon for easy visual identification of which torrents are active and what they are doing.
neither of those features will be removed. the # col is the queue order, which is another term for priority order, so it is needed and useful. the usefulness of the icon may be debated, but i dont see enough reason to get rid of it.
also, thank you for wanting to donate, but the deluge team has talked about this before and we've decided to not accept donations. it complicates too many things between the development team and doesnt seem worth the trouble. we're committed to open source and to benefitting the community as a way of giving back. we do appreciate the offer, though. thanks again :)
CasbahBoy
New User
New User

Post by CasbahBoy »

I have always wanted an option to position the "Statistics" and "Torrent Info" sections of the Details tab one above the other rather than one beside the other. If the development team would rather keep it the way it is (and its probably too trivial an option to justify adding a Preferences dialog checkbox for it), one would assume it would be an easy hack when compiling from source...
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

CasbahBoy wrote:I have always wanted an option to position the "Statistics" and "Torrent Info" sections of the Details tab one above the other rather than one beside the other. If the development team would rather keep it the way it is (and its probably too trivial an option to justify adding a Preferences dialog checkbox for it), one would assume it would be an easy hack when compiling from source...
they used to be on top of each other in earlier versions of deluge. if someone wants to make it that way again, all one would have to do is edit the delugegtk.glade file
CasbahBoy
New User
New User

Post by CasbahBoy »

markybob wrote:
CasbahBoy wrote:I have always wanted an option to position the "Statistics" and "Torrent Info" sections of the Details tab one above the other rather than one beside the other. If the development team would rather keep it the way it is (and its probably too trivial an option to justify adding a Preferences dialog checkbox for it), one would assume it would be an easy hack when compiling from source...
they used to be on top of each other in earlier versions of deluge. if someone wants to make it that way again, all one would have to do is edit the delugegtk.glade file
I just hacked together a replacement using the Glade User Interface Builder (what a neat application!) Here it is, if anyone is interested.

Edit: Oh, this is for Deluge version 0.5.5, by the way.
F for Fragging

Post by F for Fragging »

Ok, I didn't know the '#' column is used for the queue order, I can see how it is necessary in that case.

However, if the icons are not going to be removed, can they at least be replaced by better icons? As you can see in the current screenshot the current icon is a drop of water with a very tiny arrow inside, the design doesn't look very appealing and it's not clear or easily visible. Maybe it could be replaced with the more simple arrow icons from the Tango iconset which are shown below in the screenshot of µTorrent using a Tango theme? Preferably, maybe not use a hardcoded icon for that, but the small up/down arrow from the current iconset?
Attachments
Torrent_screenshot.png
Torrent_screenshot.png (63.6 KiB) Viewed 4986 times