Language

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
SNix
New User
New User

Language

Post by SNix »

Hi
First I want to say that deluge is my absolute favorite among torrent clients. It's the fastest that I have used, it doesn't slow the system to a crawl like utorrent, it has a small footprint and I love it. Great work, thank you!

Now for my complaint/question.
In the windows client there are a few bugs (not closing properly, deleting single torrents not working, window not staying maximized after being minimized) but I can live with that. The one thing that I find a bit irritating is the language settings... Where are they? I have Vista in English with the settings set to English for third party applications, the location/currency settings are set to Swedish. Why does Deluge decide that I want it to be in Swedish? I hate programs translated to Swedish! I read Swedish text slower than I read English and if I google for a solution to a problem 99% of the solutions will be described with English menu names. I know that it's possible to just remove the things you don't want in locale (that's what I did) but why can't I just click on a language of choice in a settings menu?
Please explain why my beloved Deluge behaves in this confusing manner? Are there complicated reasons behind this that I don't know about? Is God real? Is the moon made of cheese? Will there ever be a release of Duke Nukem Forever? We may never know but I hope that you can answer at least a few of these questions =)
loki

Re: Language

Post by loki »

I believe when you install you can choose the install language, thats where you set it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever
mvoncken
Developer
Developer

Post by mvoncken »

You can also delete the translation (*.mo) files, it defaults to English.
dev: webui, core, labels | irc:vonck7 |
SNix
New User
New User

Post by SNix »

The language you choose during installation has no effect. I think it's purely for the installation itself. I know about deleting files too. I never said that there were no solutions ;)
I'm just asking why there isn't any options what so ever concerning this inside the program? I think that there should be a tab for it under preferences. Now... My knowledge of programming and the problems of constructing a program such as Deluge is about equal to that of a chimpanzee but there are options for this in most other multi-language programs. Sure tweaking things and finding ways to mod your programs can be lots of fun (I used to run Gentoo as my main OS).
But why am I, as a common user, forced to go into the program folder and delete files, just to make the program use the right language?
loki

Post by loki »

I agree it should probably have a setting to change it, but, then again, most people wouldn't have a need to change back and forth and choose their language. But to rather pick a language at install and be done with it.
SNix
New User
New User

Post by SNix »

Yeah. Choosing it during install would work pretty well too.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

Yeah, I've noticed a few complaints about incorrect language settings with deluge.
Make a suggestion to slurdge (he handles the windows installer of deluge), to have a "choose language" installer for deluge.
It should be very straightforward seeing the installer is written with NSIS.
slurdge
New User
New User

Post by slurdge »

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, things are a little bit difficult on my side.
If my memory is good, I've already tried to solve this problem in the past. The main difficulty is not modifying the setup (very easy thing to do), but to make Deluge be able to switch languages based on a command line argument (i.e. deluge can switch languages/locale dynamically).
From my experiments (and again if my memory is good), I did not succeed at the time but came up with a workaround : a certain command line would launch deluge in another language.
So, it may be possible to create a batch script that would execute Deluge based on a lang parameter. However this is mainly a hack, and i'm not sure the main devs would want it in the repository.

I'll make further tests - when i have some more time - to see if I can somehow manage to get deluge change its language, but for now i'm sorry, but you'll have to deal with the .po hacks.
New User
New User

Post by AvatarStormBringer »

Previously when I try to download something that was in mandarin the characters actually show up on deluge's list. But now it shows up as boxes now. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!
sehnbadt

Post by sehnbadt »

It installed in french on my english Windows XP system even though I chose english. I don't mind since I speak french :D btw the french translation is well done but I prefer all my applications to be in english on my PC at home ;)