Deluge on Windows, seeding from NAS

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Umbra
New User
New User

Deluge on Windows, seeding from NAS

Post by Umbra »

Hi all,

I currently use uTorrent and seed from my NAS. I'm looking to switch to a client that can handle network drives better - uTorrent fills up the cache in memory and then never actually tries to write it. I can use my lovely 11.9MB/s download and then wait until whenever it decides to write out. No way to force it or fix it. 3.3.2 will actually crash, 3.2.3 seems to do alright until it fills up.

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? Using some of the Deluge plugins I think I can even get a setup where I filter torrents to separate download directories (Movies/Music/TV) properly, which is exciting.

Thanks so much!
Jay-C

Re: Deluge on Windows, seeding from NAS

Post by Jay-C »

Sounds to me you're using one computer to download the files and another one to store your files, which is wasteful. I'm guessing your using SAMBA (aka Windows file sharing) to connect to your NAS, and SAMBA was not designed to handle the kind of I/O activity that a torrent client generates.

What kind of NAS do you got? Can you install deluge directly on your NAS?

I have a HTPC/NAS with Ubuntu 12.04.3 which I built myself with the deluged daemon started automatically on boot. I can access the daemon from any computer with an Internet browser using the Web-UI or with the Deluge GTK front-end. All the actual downloading takes place on the Ubuntu machine however, so when I close the UI the download continues on the server and I can put my big power-hungry gaming rig to sleep.
// Jay-C