changes download location for me

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
locketine
New User
New User

changes download location for me

Post by locketine »

If my external hard-drive(hdd) is not plugged in (where most of my torrents are downloaded) deluge very kindly and without warning starts downloading all my torrents to my local hdd.

This is really annoying because my external hdd gets unmounted for some reason or another without me knowing several times a week and each time that happens I have to close deluge, reconnect the hdd, reopen deluge and then force-recheck every single torrent. Couldn't it just pause the torrents it couldn't find and let me resume them when I fix the problem, much like utorrent does.
loki

Re: changes download location for me

Post by loki »

Probably a much better idea would be to use the local hdd when downloading torrents... thats just my suggestion though. In a word, faster...
locketine
New User
New User

Post by locketine »

loki wrote:Probably a much better idea would be to use the local hdd when downloading torrents... thats just my suggestion though. In a word, faster...
lol. I doubt anyone's downloading torrents faster than an external hdd can write. Do you have an oc-34 line or something? Your suggestion would fix my problem of course but unfortunately I don't have enough space on my local hdd for all my active torrents.
loki

Post by loki »

Just that it would have to access it, adding another layer to the process certainly wouldn't help the speed. I use my external hdd as strictly backup... I've just always seen it that way, as a backup to my computers files.
locketine
New User
New User

Post by locketine »

loki wrote:Just that it would have to access it, adding another layer to the process certainly wouldn't help the speed. I use my external hdd as strictly backup... I've just always seen it that way, as a backup to my computers files.
Yeah, that's definetely the intention of an external hdd, backups. I bought mine to share music/video's with friends however.

As far as speed goes an external hdd is irrelevant, the bottleneck is the internet. If I was in windows and playing Call Of Duty 4 or some other current videogame I might have a problem because the processor has to deal with the overhead you refer to. But in Linux even if I was playing a video game that wouldn't matter because I/O bound processes like deluge have priority over cpu-bound processes like COD4.

Another way to put it would be if you had some guy bucking hay onto two trucks driving 1/4 mile to the barn where it was being unloaded by 50 men. Unfortunately, that location became full and so the trucks now have to drive 2 miles to another barn where 30 men are unloading the truck. The single man bucking hay is the internet; the barns are hdd's; the trucks are your I/O bus; your processor would be some guy telling the trucks where to go and making sure the internet guy was doing his job right.
trashy66

Post by trashy66 »

I have the same problem, not enough room on my internal HDD so I use my external... It should not be hard for Deluge to automatically put torrents into a paused state when the default directory can't be found instead of changing directories and restarting entire download.... it can be very annoying to have to force check 10-15 torrents.