Still no Gui on RC 2 and very personal opinion on Deluge!!

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Lefty

Still no Gui on RC 2 and very personal opinion on Deluge!!

Post by Lefty »

Andar i'm sorry man Deluge was going in the right direction as many people was starting to convert from utorrent to deluge but somehow it lost it's direction same issues with RC2 no gui showing up at least on windows haven't even ventured to linux to see the problems there as i'm waiting for karmic off release tomorrow.
Replaced XMLRPC with DelugeRPC - this has made the communication between the UI and daemon much more efficient and secure. All connections are now SSL encrypted and compressed. This change has far reaching effects, such as fixing the UI locking issue on Windows and the issue where a UI won't receive signals if it is firewalled from the daemon.
And my big problem with this is that you knew about the gui issues yet you release a new candidate not addressing this issue even if it says you did as i saw on the release notes above. not only that you rewrote part of the stuff that won't allow for a clean revert back to 1.1.9 thank God i always read.
But you are going to have a lot of pissed of deluge users out there and the sad thing is you're going to lose a lot a them again i think deluge HAD the potential of being the greatest client out there which it had until 1.1.9 broke the gui somehow not saying that was your problem but then again i'm sure there is a work around for it but yet no one post how which i'm guessing is to leave room to upgrade so you can find bugs and whatnot instead of leaving it up to the ones who like to test things out and not the general user now you have a useless client that can't even get tested (at least in windows) as the gui still doesn't show.

Andar is not the first time i post and i like how you quickly replied my create torrent besides gui post but yet i went to the link and boy didn't understand a thing of where to look and then we have the post that never get's replied here even if it's a common issue among users.

Yes i understand this is free and you do this on your spare time but costumer service and satisfaction is always what makes or breaks a product please for your sake and that of deluge remember that!

This is not a post to put down Deluge this is a post to hopefully get you thinking and save it! before you lose the users.

thanks and hope this get sorted out , now i must go find a client to use as i risked waiting for the issues here to be resolved and almost lost my uploader status. but really my best wishes to you Andar and please remember this i know you want to improve Deluge but as they say:
Why fix something if it isn't broken?? ;)

update: I just DL utorrent 1.6.1 but would like to know when Deluge get's fixed so please let me know when this is done so i can come back to Deluge. thanks you guys.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Still no Gui on RC 2 and very personal opinion on Deluge!!

Post by andar »

I cannot reproduce the issue you are experiencing.. I've tested in both XP and Windows7, and the Deluge windows comes up fine without any issue. Perhaps you could do some more work to resolve this issue and provide a fix. I really don't know much about Windows, so people who use that OS should do a bit more legwork to resolve these problems. Sorry, but I just don't have time to hunt down every little issue, especially on Windows..
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I don't mind trying but where to start i'm no coder or anything like that but i do like to read and learn so if you point me on the right direction maybe i can come up with something, i will remind you this happens on 1.1.9, 1.20rc1 and 2 and mine was working fine it was all of the sudden the gui will not show anymore.

Also would like to remind you andar you do advertise this as a cross platform client so you should have at least one win guy onboard to help you out! remember people easily ditch things that do not work on first try only a few of us actually try to resolve issues and such so just keep that in mind as i said i love deluge nice simple and does what i need and most important works on lin and win which for me is a big +.

Again if you take the time to point me in the direction of where i can possibly look into it i will be glad too. remembering as the client does get started and even the little window alerting of new upgrade gets drawn it only the main interface that does not get drawn but can be seen on the taskbar preview window as another guy posted the screens.

New Nvidia drivers??
some update of win7?
pointing them out as those are the only 2 things that changed on my pc.

let me know how i can help you out.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein.
majinsnake
New User
New User

Post by majinsnake »

Lefty, post your computer specs and which windows OS. That might help. Always post them anytime you ask for help. This is client is still early in it's stages and your still fussing over that. It is an RC, which means release candidate. Their's other clients out their that have been out a long time. Go use them then if Deluge isn't working for you. Deluge may not work for everybody, but everybody has different settings on their computer. You don't have to be a coder to understand an OS. You have to be willing to learn and read much more.

Reading your last post. Quote "some update of win7?" If you are on Windows 7, no wonder you are having problems. I am sure most coders don't use Windows 7, probably vista since that is what Windows 7 is based off of. Thus are figuring it will work on Windows 7. Windows 7 official release just did come out. Their's no guarantee that all software for earlier OS versions will work on a new OS that came out. I am sure most users are not on Windows 7 who use Deluge.

Your best bet would be to right-click Deluge icon, go to properties. Their should be some compatibility TAB or option. click that, check the box. Click run this program for XP or Vista. Have you even tried this?

If that does not work, you may as well try another client.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

@majinsnake
I'm guessing you haven't read any of my other post

I've been using Deluge for sometime now ever since i discovered it back when it was version 0.5.9.3 on Ubuntu all the way till 1.1.9 And version 1.1.9 of the win port on Win 7 and it was working perfectly until all of the sudden the gui would not show up.
But i will make you happy oh and also i know what's going on with my OS but it's not the OS is the program itself if you bothered to read around you would see i'm not the only one with the problem and it's not limited to RC's it's also a problem on stable 1.1.9 and if i recall not limited only to win7. next time read around before you post something on any forum ;)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane)
MB: ASRock N61P-S
MEM: 4gb DDR2-800
Vid: Nvidia GForce9400 GT-1GB DDR2
HD: Internal x 2- 250gb WD - 40gb 7200 barracuda For music / External: 500gb Seagate FreeAgent Storage.
OS: Ubuntu 9.04 64- tomorrow doing fresh install of 9.10
Windows7 Ultimate 64 6.1.7600.16385
Did i miss anything?? does it help you?

Now going back to the issue at hand.. Andar can it have something to do with the GTK if a recall correctly is a newer one since like 2 or 3 weeks back right? can that be it ?
I also noticed that when i uninstalled Deluge then GTK, gtk would leave a folder in the directory and 2 dll's behind the folder if a recall was /bin with same 2 dll's it leaves in the gtk directory one was a jpeg dll and don't recall the other one right now i'm sure you know which one it is can that be it that it's doubling up the dll's?

As i told you andar i'm willing to check it out but you have to point me where to look so i have an idea at what i'm looking for.

I'm willing to help.... are you willing to get your program to be as advertised cross platform?
You have a good thing going here and maybe have the spot of getting to be the official BT client choice of Ubuntu in feature releases but why limit yourself to Linux if you have a good program better than even Utorrent in IMO plus nice on resources on pc and speedy so again.
I'm willing to help...are you willing to help me, help you?
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

You can try uninstalling GTK and deleting any remnants, then install the gtk runtime again.

http://download.deluge-torrent.org/wind ... 12-ash.exe

You can also try other versions of the gtk runtime.
majinsnake
New User
New User

Post by majinsnake »

Lefty wrote:@majinsnake
I'm guessing you haven't read any of my other post

I've been using Deluge for sometime now ever since i discovered it back when it was version 0.5.9.3 on Ubuntu all the way till 1.1.9 And version 1.1.9 of the win port on Win 7 and it was working perfectly until all of the sudden the gui would not show up.
But i will make you happy oh and also i know what's going on with my OS but it's not the OS is the program itself if you bothered to read around you would see i'm not the only one with the problem and it's not limited to RC's it's also a problem on stable 1.1.9 and if i recall not limited only to win7. next time read around before you post something on any forum ;)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane)
MB: ASRock N61P-S
MEM: 4gb DDR2-800
Vid: Nvidia GForce9400 GT-1GB DDR2
HD: Internal x 2- 250gb WD - 40gb 7200 barracuda For music / External: 500gb Seagate FreeAgent Storage.
OS: Ubuntu 9.04 64- tomorrow doing fresh install of 9.10
Windows7 Ultimate 64 6.1.7600.16385
Did i miss anything?? does it help you?

Now going back to the issue at hand.. Andar can it have something to do with the GTK if a recall correctly is a newer one since like 2 or 3 weeks back right? can that be it ?
I also noticed that when i uninstalled Deluge then GTK, gtk would leave a folder in the directory and 2 dll's behind the folder if a recall was /bin with same 2 dll's it leaves in the gtk directory one was a jpeg dll and don't recall the other one right now i'm sure you know which one it is can that be it that it's doubling up the dll's?

As i told you andar i'm willing to check it out but you have to point me where to look so i have an idea at what i'm looking for.

I'm willing to help.... are you willing to get your program to be as advertised cross platform?
You have a good thing going here and maybe have the spot of getting to be the official BT client choice of Ubuntu in feature releases but why limit yourself to Linux if you have a good program better than even Utorrent in IMO plus nice on resources on pc and speedy so again.
I'm willing to help...are you willing to help me, help you?

Nope, I did read some of your other posts. Not all of them. 2 of them were about the GUI interface. Probably should have kept that in the same thread instead of making this new one. This forum allows you to make posts with new titles in the same thread. From the exclamation points in the thread title and your first two posts in this thread, it sounds like your being rude to Andar or the Deluge team. Half of what you said in those first 2 posts seemed like it. I felt you needed something said to you, I am surprised Andar or other moderators did not. They know you have problems, the only thing you can probably do is wait for future releases. I know your frustated, so be calm.
You did not respond to my question of making the program run in compatibility mode like i had asked. I am led to believe you didn't even try it. You come seeking help but then you don't take it. Why? Your making it more difficult for yourself.

I never implied that Deluge was only to Windows 7, it may have looked it.

I mentioned it could be the OS, because of some of the Microsoft updates that you did install. You mentioned it in 1 of your posts before my first response here. Their will probably be other updates released by Microsoft in the future based on reliability.

Could be a number of reasons why the GUI interface does not appear on your version of Windows 7. Andar says it pulls up fine for him. Yes it could be the program, even even though he tested. I don't know what to tell you their other than the other users who have the same issue, probably are on Windows 7 or vista too. Could also be the GTK. Deluge forced me to update to RC2 because of some popup error when I started the program which it then closed, even after i reinstalled the RC1. It now works for me.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

You seem to have no idea what you're talking about
1. If you read this post yes it has a little flaming but at the same time it has concerns of what i think is a great program and don't want to see it go bad.
2. Please point out to me where i was rude(besides the flaming)or where i disrespected anyone.if you did read at least this thread besides the flaming
everything else is advice or suggestions with no ill intentions.
3. New thread cuz it's a new release Rc2 even if it's the same issue and by the way did you read this:

and then we have this one:

as you can see no rude comments or maybe i missed them can you point them out?

did you read on this this part?
This is not a post to put down Deluge this is a post to hopefully get you thinking and save it! before you lose the users.

And finally the solution and don't feel bad but did not follow your run in compatibility mode advice.... lol that was funny

Andar i had not seen your post yet at the time of trying this but man you are so right!!
the problem is/was
when deluge and gtk uninstall they leave behind stuff in the "user/namehere/AppData/Roaming" folder
so i deleted it and fresh install of 1.1.9 open program and there was the gui
then copied my deluge folder that had previously saved before installing the rc1 to the roaming folder
open up the program and gui missing
looked in the folder and saw the gtkui the gtkui.conf~ and the ui (just to be safe) files and deleted them
ran installer again to install fresh copy of those files
when all was done opened Deluge and presto it's all there.

so the short version:

1.Uninstall and delete all the deluge and gtk remnants including Roaming folder ones.

2.Do a fresh install and if needed replace all the congif files but DO NOT replace gtkiu or ui and if it's there neither do gtkui.conf~ ( i believe it get's created after 1st use not sure).

3. run Deluge and everything is back to normal ! :D