Edit Trackers???

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
JXBlack
Leecher
Leecher

Edit Trackers???

Post by JXBlack »

Can someone please explain the controls in the "Edit Trackers" section? I have some torrents that are very slow or not downloading at all. Is thier some way I can manipulate these controls in the "Edit Trackers" section to improve these download rates?

Thank You
jesperl

Re: Edit Trackers???

Post by jesperl »

JXBlack wrote:Can someone please explain the controls in the "Edit Trackers" section? I have some torrents that are very slow or not downloading at all. Is thier some way I can manipulate these controls in the "Edit Trackers" section to improve these download rates?
You can only change the announce URL, for example change tracker.thepiratebay.org to tracker.openbittorrent.com, and you can change the priority order of the existing trackers. This does not affect your download speed; you should look at the other configuration options for that.
JXBlack
Leecher
Leecher

Post by JXBlack »

Thank you for your reply.

Why would I change the announce URL and how would I determine which is the preferable tracker?
What is the point of altering the priority?
If these controls have no impact on speed or distribution, what is their purpose?

Thanks again
loki

Post by loki »

Under most circumstances you shouldn't have to add a tracker unless you really know what you're doing... the reason being is for example, if you add an open tracker to a torrent but no one else on the same torrent added that same open tracker it'll never benefit any.
There are some reasons why you would want to change the priority of one over another, an example this time lets say you downloaded a torrent that has a couple different trackers and you notice some trackers have more seeders than others, you would most likely want to connect to the ones that have the most seeders so set those as higher priority. Other than that main reason, there's also the fact that sometimes trackers go offline or unconnectable in which case deluge would automatically select the next down on the list.
The only reason trackers would affect download speed is if you were connected to a tracker that doesn't have very many seeders, or very unlikely, slow seeders/peers.
jesperl

Post by jesperl »

loki wrote:Under most circumstances you shouldn't have to add a tracker unless you really know what you're doing...
I just used the feature. I had an old TPB torrent for Steal this Film II, and tracker.thepiratebay.org is down whereas tracker.openbittorrent.com is running (they no longer resolve to the same IPs). I deleted the old TPB tracker and added these trackers

Code: Select all

http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce
udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce
loki

Post by loki »

Must be TPB updated their older torrents to add tracker.openbittorrent.com or something...
Given your example, I just found a torrent on their site that was released near the end of 2007, it appears to have both trackers listed. That would make since then that you were able to have success.
jesperl

Post by jesperl »

loki wrote:Must be TPB updated their older torrents to add tracker.openbittorrent.com or something...
Given your example, I just found a torrent on their site that was released near the end of 2007, it appears to have both trackers listed. That would make since then that you were able to have success.
If you (re-)download the torrent file from thepiratebay.org, tracker.openbittorrent.com is one of the announce URLs now. In my case, I had at least one torrent that was tracked by TPB but not hosted there, and I wanted to try out this editing feature. :D