Memory and crashing issues with large torrents

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
chronomitch

Memory and crashing issues with large torrents

Post by chronomitch »

Two problems occur when I download large files using Deluge. I have 4 GB of physical memory and another 4 GB of virtual memory, and I'm running Vista 64.

When using Deluge v1.1.9 on with large torrents (single files larger > 5 GB), my memory usage slowly increases until I have no physical memory left, according to task manager. However, this is the overall memory usage of my machine, not of deluge.exe or deluged.exe (they only take about 90 MB). Likewise, this huge amount of memory does not seem to be allocated to any of the processes shown in task manager, which should take less than 1 GB of physical memory in total. The rate at which I run out of memory seems to correspond to the overall size of all the torrents I'm downloading, so if I am downloading many large torrents, it only takes an hour or so to run out of memory.

I'm guessing that this extra memory is being used as some kind of disc cache, and it is not being de-allocated correctly, but that's just my guess. I do not seem to have this problem when using smaller torrents (200-300 MB).

The second problem is that my torrents go into "error" status when I download them directly to a Samba share running off a Linux box. They download fine for a while, but almost always go into error status. This may be related to the first error. Again, this does not happen with smaller torrents.
Kirschsalz
New User
New User

Re: Memory and crashing issues with large torrents

Post by Kirschsalz »

Hello!

I have a similar problem, every torrent I added to Deluge before caused no problems, but now I came across a larger one (more than 10 GB and including many little files) and every time I try to add it to Deluge it makes the program crash, however the torrent works fine in other clients.

The problem is caused by this torrent, I hope it is ok if I put the address here as a quote, if this is also not ok I apologize, but actually I don't think this is really critical content:
I am using Windows 7 64-Bit and also have 4 GB of memory, would be interesting if this torrent works fine under other systems.

Thanks and greetings!
loki

Post by loki »

To the first problem, and this is just my theory but, if it was downloading multiple chunks at once on a large torrent each chunk would be 4mb each... however that would take more than 200 or so incomplete pieces to even put a dent on 4gb of RAM...
My computer is running with 4gb of RAM Windows Vista and deluge + deluged currently runs on about 100mb, the entire system is showing 68% of RAM usage.

To the second post, I did check that file and it did add eventually. The problem seemed to be that it just took way too long to load and it seemed as though it froze but then it popped up the add window then it started downloading just fine. I didn't stay on it too long to see if there was any other downloading such problems however... I tried the same file in my old utorrent and it added straight away, I'm not sure what could be causing such a long delay for adding it on Deluge... makes me wonder now if the same happens in XP or a linux variant... will report back soon.
Kirschsalz
New User
New User

Post by Kirschsalz »

The problem seemed to be that it just took way too long to load and it seemed as though it froze but then it popped up the add window then it started downloading just fine.
Thanks a lot, I just tried the same and after waiting a little longer I also could add the torrent to Deluge just fine :)
I'm not sure what could be causing such a long delay for adding it on Deluge...
I don't think it is the large size of the torrent now, I already added another with about the same size before and it worked just fine. I think the reason for this behavior is the very large number of files in this torrent which should be a few thousand. It is working fine now in my Deluge but it still keeps the client hanging for a little moment when I select this torrent in the main windows.
I am glad now that it is working and don't consider this a big problem, but if for some reasons this works better in for example utorrent, maybe this is something that also might be worth improving in the future :roll:
loki

Post by loki »

just to update... i tried it out on xp and linux, xp was the same result but linux had just a very slight pause, nothing compared to this apparently windows only related issue.
Flak
New User
New User

Post by Flak »

I am not having any crashing problems. But wanted to say that I am having the memory issue. And I do believe I noticed it starting with 1.1.9. My server is running Vista 64bit with 4gb of ram. Like the OP the memory will get to around 98% or so after awhile. If I check task manager I see nothing out of the ordinary. Yet I only run a few applications on the server. And every time I notice it getting slow I'll check load, see memory is at 98% and then stop deluge. It takes a couple mins (ghost connections dropping still??) but then memory usage goes down to around 10% or less.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

There was a recent fix in libtorrent to address a memory leak.. Perhaps this is what you are encountering. The 1.2.0_rc1 contains this fix for libtorrent, so you may want to try using that and see if it resolves the issue.
Flak
New User
New User

Post by Flak »

The problem occurs in 1.2.0 rc1.
Flak
New User
New User

Post by Flak »

Just wanted to say that so far RC2 has been awesome. I haven't run into the memory issue I was having before. Actually haven't run into any problems whatsoever yet. And it seems to be generally a bit faster in all operations.