Feature Request: max upload speed set for certain client

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
frank_t
New User
New User

Feature Request: max upload speed set for certain client

Post by frank_t »

Some kind of client software only downloading at high speed, upload nothing or almost nothing. So, if max upload speed can be set by client names, it will be very useful.
mojoxojom

Re: Feature Request: max upload speed set for certain client

Post by mojoxojom »

Hey I am not really sure I understand what you mean here. I run Deluge core (daemon) on a Linux server and connect to it with both Linux and WinXP clients on the LAN. The major benefit for us is that we can set the upload cap for our network in one place and everyone's torrents has a shot at the full available bandwidth. Everything uses the central daemon's queue.

Previously we had three separate integrated clients, one on each desktop. We had to set each one for about 1/3rd of our total max bandwidth. So if one of us wasn't utilizing it, the other two would not have access to that spare bandwidth. On occasion no one else would be using it, so someone would up their bandwidth and forget to set it back later... until web browsing came to a screeching halt as our multiple clients saturated our bandwidth. I just don't see why you'd want the speed limited per client.

I *could* see some request for a fair scheduler that did a round-robin priority for torrents initiated by various users of the core. But as far as I know, Deluge's core is not tracking user information with the torrents. I could be wrong, though. Truth is I would like to see some more multi-user management features down the road.

I suppose I just don't get what you mean by "client names" here. What do you mean exactly by "client"? A Bit-torrent client program in general (Deluge, Azureus, uTorrent, etc.), or Deluge UI Clients connecting to the core daemon running on a server box (as I have set up here)?

On further reflection... are you talking about PEERS which are using various bit-torrent clients? Do you mean you want to limit the bandwidth you make available to transmit data to peers that are using a specific client?

I guess I just don't get your gist there buddy... :/

~mojo~
frank_t
New User
New User

Post by frank_t »

Thank you so much, mojoxojom~~
I'm very sorry for my poor English :D

Yes, I mean I want to limit the bandwidth I make available to transmit data to peers that are using a specific client.

I use deluge, but other buddies use all sorts of client softwares such as utorrent, azureus, bitcommet. Among those available
client softwares, some are always selfish, they download from me greedily and upload almost nothing to me. *xunlei* is such a bt client software.

So what I want to do is to set upload speed limit for *xunlei* to 1kb. Anyone who use *xunlei*, I'll give him 1kb/s at most.

I think this is a very useful feature to punish those bt client softwares which have bad reputations. Tens of thousands of linux users in China want this feature just as much as I do.

Thank to mojoxojom again.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

mojoxojom: he wants to throttle peers based on client id.

frank_t: funnily enough something similar was request by another chinese user but I can't seem to find the thread anymore.
what you're really saying is that you want to ban peers based on client id (banning means they can't connect to you at all).
the are a couple of problems with this:
  1. the client could change and no longer be evil
  2. the client could just spoof its id
you could try throttling (or banning) peers purely based on their upload speed, however there is a controversy over whether or not doing so is good (c.f. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittyrant).
frank_t
New User
New User

Post by frank_t »

johnnyg : You're almost right :P
I want to set speed by peer id, but always not to ban it.

As the 2 problems you metioned:
1. the client could change and no longer be evil
Yes, it's possible. And users want the evil clients to change. But how? If some bt tools like deluge can set speed limit by peer id, it will give them pressure to change. If it changes not to be evil, the users can change not to limit the speed of the peer id.

2. the client could just spoof its id
xunlei is owned by a company, it not open source, and the default setting for bit torrent downloading is very evil. The default uploading speed is very low, and it will stop uploading immediately after finishing downloading a file. Unfortunately, most users will following the default settings.
Maybe any client can fake its id, but as a company like xunlei, they won't, because the company want to go public. In China, it has tens of millions of users.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

I don't think this feature will be part as deluge by default, however there's nothing stopping you or another user from writing a plugin to do this ;)
frank_t
New User
New User

Post by frank_t »

johnnyg wrote:I don't think this feature will be part as deluge by default, however there's nothing stopping you or another user from writing a plugin to do this ;)
A plugin can do this?
I'll learn to do it someday :lol:
Thank you ~~