Deluge 1.x "Stop Seeding when share ratio reaches 0.1"

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
test
New User
New User

Deluge 1.x "Stop Seeding when share ratio reaches 0.1"

Post by test »

Hi, I just upgraded my linux desktop to Ubuntu 9.04, which brought Deluge 1.1.6 with it (I've been using 0.5.x up to now).

I like Deluge 1.x a lot more than the previous versions except from one really poor design choice: the preference "Stop seeding when share ratio reaches" x.xx option now has a minimum ratio limit of "0.5". That means, some Deluge developer has chosen on behalf of the users how much we must seed. The guy thinks that 50% ratio is a good thing and we must all use it.

IMHO, this is really bad. I suggest deluge developers going back to Deluge 0.5.x approach to this, where the low limit is up to each user to choose. The new Transmission SVN can do ratio control as well and doesn't have this problem.

I found it is really simple to change this behaviour in deluge 1.x (thanks to python and glade), all you have to do is:

1) open a terminal
2) sudo gedit /usr/share/python-support/deluge/deluge/ui/gtkui/glade/preferences_dialog.glade
3) Search for this line:
property name="adjustment">2 0.5 100 0.10000000000000001 1 0</property>
4) Change it with:
property name="adjustment">2 0.01 100 0.10000000000000001 1 0</property>
5) Save, close Deluge if it was open, and restart it.
gazpachoking

Re: Deluge 1.x "Stop Seeding when share ratio reaches 0.1"

Post by gazpachoking »

I think a minimum 0.5 ratio is more than reasonable. If you cannot seed to a 0.5 ratio maybe bittorrent is not the appropriate method for you to download.
test
New User
New User

Post by test »

Thank you for providing your opinion. You are probably not using an internet access with a Download+Upload cap of 60 gigs, lucky you.

For Average Joe, the appropriate method for download depends on where the content is, not on any technicality, I am sorry to say. If the content is in bittorrent, then normal people will use bittorrent as opposed to whatever else is technically more appropriate to their internet access charging policy.

Cheers
DUser

Post by DUser »

I agree. In order to counter it I had to set my upload rate very low, my upload slots to 1 and a bunch of other stuff. The net effect was less is uploaded in order to maneuver around that option. I will seed certain files to a ratio of 100. However, if I want to seed a specific file to a ratio of .00001 it should be my choice.
lvm
Seeder
Seeder

Post by lvm »

test wrote:Hi, I just upgraded my linux desktop to Ubuntu 9.04, which brought Deluge 1.1.6 with it (I've been using 0.5.x up to now).

I like Deluge 1.x a lot more than the previous versions except from one really poor design choice: the preference "Stop seeding when share ratio reaches" x.xx option now has a minimum ratio limit of "0.5". That means, some Deluge developer has chosen on behalf of the users how much we must seed. The guy thinks that 50% ratio is a good thing and we must all use it.
I wonder what I am doing wrong (except being nasty purely in test purposes that is :)...

hardy 64.

PS And it's about time someone did something about this weird looking Apply button/