I really want to like Deluge..

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
blackhydra866

I really want to like Deluge..

Post by blackhydra866 »

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 with 2GB of RAM.

I'm using 1.0.7, no frills really, and the interface KEEPS FREEZING. And it also takes a couple of seconds just to re-focus the Deluge window from the tray state. Extremely annoying because I really want to actually like Deluge but this is a real deal killer..

And also how do I associate torrent files to open with Deluge? You can't associate files with a .cmd file, and when I try to run deluge.exe from the /Scripts folder it just comes up with an error saying that "pywintypes25.dll was not found."
hordak
Leecher
Leecher

Re: I really want to like Deluge..

Post by hordak »

My profile: Deluge 1.07 32 Bit, XP Pro SP3, 512 K Ram.

It freezes at times for me as well. The way that I correct the situation is to pause torrents and let my computer catch up.

Sometimes I run out of swap space memory and Daemon refuses to remain connected to the client. The only option is to pause all torrents, close Daemon and the Client, and reboot the computer.

I do not know if there is an option to correct the memory issues in such a way that the client/daemon does not hog the entire CPU and clear swap space. I wonder if there is some things that can be done in configuration.

As far as connecting directly to torrents in firefox, use "c:\program files\Deluge\Deluge.cmd".

My only other issue is that Deluge reports total download which includes wasted and hashfails packets. On some torrents, I have downloaded approximately 20% wasted packets. I personally would rather have the unusable download excluded, put in a separate category (i.e. utorrent has a category called wasted), and not reported to the tracker.

The 1.0 trunk has come a long way and will only get better.
rockerboo

Post by rockerboo »

Windows SP3 x64, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 4GB ram

Yeah it freezes all the time for me. I really want to like Deluge as well, used it a lot on linux, and wanted to keep torrents working in linux and windows, and this really is a killer. The interface is really un-responsive. Also would be nice for the python that gets bundled to be in x64 and no in 32. I have x64 python installed on my machine, but it still uses the bundled one.

Here's a quick list of problems I have seen
  • Unresponsive interface (freezes all the time)
  • Can't get torrents to associate correctly, (pywintypes25.dll was not found.)
  • Python 32 bit on 64 bit builds
I actually stuck with deluge for the past month, hoping it would be fixed, and had to go back to another client. I am very willing to try out the builds as they come out, and hopefully these will be resolved.
noian

Post by noian »

Have you tried a previous version and filing this under support? There was a previous issue with 64 bit windows, although I'm using 0.5.x on windows and it runs fine for me, so....
zxcbobo

Post by zxcbobo »

win xp sp3, intel pentium d 2,8 ghz, 2 gb ram
deluge 0.5.8.2 or 0.5.8.3 with some minor exceptions that could be from tracker works fine for me too; 0.5.8.2 looks a litle more stable, though
mojoxojom

Post by mojoxojom »

I really like Deluge. The split with the core and UI is my absolute favorite development with the 1.x series. I don't run the core on Windows, so I can't really speak to it's performance. But the client seems to be working fairly well. I was a little concerned with the recent loss of Windows builds, but I find that the 1.1.0 Windows client on 32bit XP works well with the 1.1.3 daemon (core) running on our Linux server. And andar promises a new Windows installer.

I have been very happy with the progress Deluge has made and the direction it chose with the 1.x series. I also really appreciate the community involvement. I have received personal help troubleshooting problems from the devs in IRC, and found them interested in my ideas. I have even seen some of my ideas reflected in the implementation of the labels plug-in with regard to managing torrents by tracker. It is very gratifying to know that the devs care about the user community and are open to and actively involved in a receptive conversation with their users.

I trust that if we work with the devs regarding issues on Windows that they'll get them addressed in due time. I have been playing with the split client / core with multiple users (both windows and linux clients) and am hoping to have some usability suggestions collected for submission soon. I still have one room-mate to switch over from uTorrent on 32bit XP, and he will be the real test for me on usability.

If you almost like it, maybe you'll stick around and see how it develops... maybe even help test by using it and giving the devs your feedback.

~mojo~