Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Deluge 1.1.3 - Where is it?

Post by andar »

zifix wrote:
andar wrote:
zifix wrote:Hi folks,
maybe my 10 cents' worth:
I partially agree with both sides. Of course it's more easy for the developers to leave packaging to the distributors and it's in the users sense to prefer packages from the guys knowing their os best. OK, for older versions of eg. (k|x)ubuntu you might not get any updates, but there is a lot of stuff backported. If not, there is always http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ or the possibility to start a poll on the distribution's forums. It might also be a good idea for enthusiastic users to package themselfes and provide a download in the proper section of http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Download.
On the other hand packaging yourself is the only way to expand your community, since it's like Rule 45 (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Ferengi ... rule95_6-0) says: Expand or Die. Scaring off users is definitely not the way to keep them.
Add users not having the knowledge to lazybums like me and you will probably get quite a share of the community. So my suggestion is providing packages to every os not having them in their repositories or perhaps contacting the package maintainers of the major distros, if they are willing to do it. If they stop updating although there is no technical reasons (missing libraries etc.) you can offer them to send proper debs or support them any other way. This should get at least the traffic off your servers. Finally for the windows build, please start offering it again since there is and will be no other source.
I have not given up on the Windows users.. I am going to be taking a different approach the the Windows installer since there is no documented process on how to create the old one. The new installer will simply install all the pre-requisites prior to installing Deluge, which should solve a lot of the issues we were having with the old installer. There will be, of course, an installer without the deps included for those upgrading their Deluge installation and these upgrade installers should be considerably smaller than the previous ones.

If you want to track my progress you can follow this wiki node: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/Windows

I'll hopefully get it going soon, but I'm no Windows expert, so it could be a while still...
The advantage of these all-in-one installers is, that your common user has a one-click installation, but obviously you could install everything twice :-(. If you don't want to offer them anymore, perhaps you could host the specific versions of the deps here as well and make the buildscript install them after confirming with the user, if they are missing?
Creating a documentation on your work is in my eyes the least part of leaving like a gentleman. That would be a starting point for optional changes to the installer. If you want any beta testing on new installers, feel free to ask me.
I'm not quite sure I follow you.. It would be a one-click installer once it's completed.. It'd simply install all the pre-requisites for you, much akin to any package manager on a linux distro.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

mojoxojom wrote:
zifix wrote:On the other hand packaging yourself is the only way to expand your community...
Well I can do the source install, I have done it before. But I have no idea how to make a .deb package. If there is a build script or something I'll do it for Ubuntu Hardy AMD64. I already checked the repos, PPA, and GetDeb... nada.
sudo aptitude install checkinstall. then instead of doing sudo make install when building do a sudo checkinstall. checkinstall builds a nice .deb and installs what you just built uing that .deb and saves the .deb also.
mojoxojom

Post by mojoxojom »

kindofabuzz wrote:
mojoxojom wrote:
zifix wrote:On the other hand packaging yourself is the only way to expand your community...
Well I can do the source install, I have done it before. But I have no idea how to make a .deb package. If there is a build script or something I'll do it for Ubuntu Hardy AMD64. I already checked the repos, PPA, and GetDeb... nada.
sudo aptitude install checkinstall. then instead of doing sudo make install when building do a sudo checkinstall. checkinstall builds a nice .deb and installs what you just built uing that .deb and saves the .deb also.
Thanks kindofabuzz, I apreciate that. Fact is I went to go about installing the update on my desktop today and found that the packages were ready to be updated via the package manager. So they must've made it into the PPA, which is in my apt sources.list. (Thanks guys!!!). I also ssh'd into my server and checked with aptitude to find that the i386 package was ready for upgrade too. (My desktop is amd64 arch). So both upgrades were a breeze, THANKS.

ALSO: Though I await the Windows installer, it seems the recent changes have centered on the core anyway. My brother is able to use 1.1.0 Win32 client to talk to the 1.1.3 daemon on Linux/i386 with no issues so far.
Tsume
New User
New User

Post by Tsume »

If there's any interest in a 64 bit windows build (a good idea to have one considering all the changes in deluge's windows installer- I mean, why not ;) ) I'm more than willing to alpha/beta test it on my Vista x64 machine and my Windows 7 x64 machine.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

Tsume wrote:If there's any interest in a 64 bit windows build (a good idea to have one considering all the changes in deluge's windows installer- I mean, why not ;) ) I'm more than willing to alpha/beta test it on my Vista x64 machine and my Windows 7 x64 machine.
unfortunately that's currently not possible as (some of) deluge's dependencies are 32 bit only.