Deluge 1.1.3 - Where is it?

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
RuBoy

Re: Deluge 1.1.3 - Where is it?

Post by RuBoy »

:o LoL!
kindofabuzz

Re: Deluge 1.1.3 - Where is it? For Ubuntu.

Post by kindofabuzz »

markybob wrote:
r0ckarong wrote:
mikewhatever wrote:There is probably a good explanation for this move. Can someone point me to it.
Yeah, I'd love to hear the reasons for that too. I would guess it's a lot of work to build all the packages respectively for every version but rather than ditching the pre-build packages completely I would have loved to get a regular incremental package upgrade like ever .5 step or so. Anyway, can only wait for GetDeb to update.
the only reason for it is that andar has a god complex and can not accept that the developers of a program should provide packages for it. it is why i left deluge, and it is why things are the way they are now. i will soon take over completely, or fork, and give deluge users what they deserve, but until then, things will be tough. please stick with me as i fight to give the users what they want
wow, trouble in Deluge land. :geek: :o
Major_Kong

Re: Deluge 1.1.3 - Where is it? For Ubuntu.

Post by Major_Kong »

markybob wrote:
r0ckarong wrote:
mikewhatever wrote:There is probably a good explanation for this move. Can someone point me to it.
Yeah, I'd love to hear the reasons for that too. I would guess it's a lot of work to build all the packages respectively for every version but rather than ditching the pre-build packages completely I would have loved to get a regular incremental package upgrade like ever .5 step or so. Anyway, can only wait for GetDeb to update.
the only reason for it is that andar has a god complex and can not accept that the developers of a program should provide packages for it. it is why i left deluge, and it is why things are the way they are now. i will soon take over completely, or fork, and give deluge users what they deserve, but until then, things will be tough. please stick with me as i fight to give the users what they want
Damn it...

No chance of a friendly talk to sort things out ?
zifix
New User
New User

Post by zifix »

Hi folks,
maybe my 10 cents' worth:
I partially agree with both sides. Of course it's more easy for the developers to leave packaging to the distributors and it's in the users sense to prefer packages from the guys knowing their os best. OK, for older versions of eg. (k|x)ubuntu you might not get any updates, but there is a lot of stuff backported. If not, there is always http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ or the possibility to start a poll on the distribution's forums. It might also be a good idea for enthusiastic users to package themselfes and provide a download in the proper section of http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Download.
On the other hand packaging yourself is the only way to expand your community, since it's like Rule 45 (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Ferengi ... rule95_6-0) says: Expand or Die. Scaring off users is definitely not the way to keep them.
Add users not having the knowledge to lazybums like me and you will probably get quite a share of the community. So my suggestion is providing packages to every os not having them in their repositories or perhaps contacting the package maintainers of the major distros, if they are willing to do it. If they stop updating although there is no technical reasons (missing libraries etc.) you can offer them to send proper debs or support them any other way. This should get at least the traffic off your servers. Finally for the windows build, please start offering it again since there is and will be no other source.
mojoxojom

Post by mojoxojom »

zifix wrote:On the other hand packaging yourself is the only way to expand your community...
Well I can do the source install, I have done it before. But I have no idea how to make a .deb package. If there is a build script or something I'll do it for Ubuntu Hardy AMD64. I already checked the repos, PPA, and GetDeb... nada.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

The reason markybob left wasn't because I was against having packages.. It's rather a symptom of his absence. He was the one who built the packages every release. Since I don't have the time/inclination to continue this, I am employing the community to help with packaging and the various package maintainers from the distros. I believe that they will be able to provide better quality packages then I would be able to since they have a better understanding of how their particular distro works.

The real reason for him leaving was that he refused to discuss changes.. My only goal is to maintain the integrity of the code/project and I will not allow changes that compromise this goal, especially when there is no desire to discuss the reasoning. Instead of discussing the best solution to the problem, he decided to quit.

I wish him the best in his future endeavors and I hope that he doesn't try to drag everyone here into it.. It's a bit silly.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

mojoxojom wrote:
zifix wrote:On the other hand packaging yourself is the only way to expand your community...
Well I can do the source install, I have done it before. But I have no idea how to make a .deb package. If there is a build script or something I'll do it for Ubuntu Hardy AMD64. I already checked the repos, PPA, and GetDeb... nada.
The debian/ folder is in our svn tree.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

zifix wrote:Hi folks,
I partially agree with both sides. Of course it's more easy for the developers to leave packaging to the distributors and it's in the users sense to prefer packages from the guys knowing their os best. OK, for older versions of eg. (k|x)ubuntu you might not get any updates, but there is a lot of stuff backported. If not, there is always http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ or the possibility to start a poll on the distribution's forums. It might also be a good idea for enthusiastic users to package themselfes and provide a download in the proper section of http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Download.
On the other hand packaging yourself is the only way to expand your community, since it's like Rule 45 (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Ferengi ... rule95_6-0) says: Expand or Die. Scaring off users is definitely not the way to keep them.
Add users not having the knowledge to lazybums like me and you will probably get quite a share of the community. So my suggestion is providing packages to every os not having them in their repositories or perhaps contacting the package maintainers of the major distros, if they are willing to do it. If they stop updating although there is no technical reasons (missing libraries etc.) you can offer them to send proper debs or support them any other way. This should get at least the traffic off your servers. Finally for the windows build, please start offering it again since there is and will be no other source.
I have not given up on the Windows users.. I am going to be taking a different approach the the Windows installer since there is no documented process on how to create the old one. The new installer will simply install all the pre-requisites prior to installing Deluge, which should solve a lot of the issues we were having with the old installer. There will be, of course, an installer without the deps included for those upgrading their Deluge installation and these upgrade installers should be considerably smaller than the previous ones.

If you want to track my progress you can follow this wiki node: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/Windows

I'll hopefully get it going soon, but I'm no Windows expert, so it could be a while still...
r0ckarong

Post by r0ckarong »

andar wrote:The reason markybob left wasn't because I was against having packages.. It's rather a symptom of his absence. He was the one who built the packages every release. Since I don't have the time/inclination to continue this, I am employing the community to help with packaging and the various package maintainers from the distros. I believe that they will be able to provide better quality packages then I would be able to since they have a better understanding of how their particular distro works.

The real reason for him leaving was that he refused to discuss changes.. My only goal is to maintain the integrity of the code/project and I will not allow changes that compromise this goal, especially when there is no desire to discuss the reasoning. Instead of discussing the best solution to the problem, he decided to quit.

I wish him the best in his future endeavors and I hope that he doesn't try to drag everyone here into it.. It's a bit silly.
Well that's unfortunate but I guess this is one of these typical situations. I can live with the package maintainer builds since it seems they build not much slower than you guys. Too bad I have to install that stupid "common" file again now but that's not a real problem.

Hope your internal differences will settle down soon.
zifix
New User
New User

Post by zifix »

andar wrote:
zifix wrote:Hi folks,
I have not given up on the Windows users.. I am going to be taking a different approach the the Windows installer since there is no documented process on how to create the old one. The new installer will simply install all the pre-requisites prior to installing Deluge, which should solve a lot of the issues we were having with the old installer. There will be, of course, an installer without the deps included for those upgrading their Deluge installation and these upgrade installers should be considerably smaller than the previous ones.

If you want to track my progress you can follow this wiki node: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/Windows

I'll hopefully get it going soon, but I'm no Windows expert, so it could be a while still...
The advantage of these all-in-one installers is, that your common user has a one-click installation, but obviously you could install everything twice :-(. If you don't want to offer them anymore, perhaps you could host the specific versions of the deps here as well and make the buildscript install them after confirming with the user, if they are missing?
Creating a documentation on your work is in my eyes the least part of leaving like a gentleman. That would be a starting point for optional changes to the installer. If you want any beta testing on new installers, feel free to ask me.