Sharing torrents between users?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
shavenlunatic
New User
New User

Sharing torrents between users?

Post by shavenlunatic »

Hi,

I'm sure there is a simple setting for this but I just can't seem to find it.

I have 2 users setup, I have them both set to download torrents using deluge into the same shared folder. But they both have different active torrent lists.

I assume (probably incorrectly) that to have them both working on the same torrents regardless of which user is logged in and running deluge I would need to somehow have them both accessing the same persistent.state file... but I'm just stabbing in the dark.

I hope I've explained myself well, I am quite tired so my apologies if it's gibberish :)
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Sharing torrents between users?

Post by johnnyg »

you just need both users to be downloading the common torrents to the same location.
i.e. if user A downloads 20% of torrent X, then when user B runs deluge, it will do a hash check of torrent X, notice it's at 20% and continue on from there.

I do this all the time with my linux & window accounts :D

is this what you meant?
shavenlunatic
New User
New User

Post by shavenlunatic »

ah, so you mean both users need to be dumping the actual .torrent files in the same location?

That makes sense.. is it easy enough to change where deluge looks for .torrent files at?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

I'm not sure if I understand what you want

if you want 2 users to download a common torrent then all you do is specify the same download location (for the files not the torrent).
e.g. user A is downloading torrents X,Y,Z, user B is downloading torrents V,W,X. both users contribute to downloading torrent X.

if you however want to sync both torrent lists, i.e. user B automatically starts downloading user A's torrents (& vice versa) then I don't think just sharing the same torrentfiles folder will do the trick (btw this can be specified in preferences under downloads) and you may like you suggested have to have a common persistent.state.

a simple solution would be to have a common autoload folder unfortunately however in its current implementation it deletes the torrents when it loads them so this won't work either :(
shavenlunatic
New User
New User

Post by shavenlunatic »

johnnyg wrote: if you however want to sync both torrent lists, i.e. user B automatically starts downloading user A's torrents (& vice versa)
yes, that's what i was trying to do.

But.. from what you're saying.. that if I have the same download location.. and user A downloads a .torrent and opens it with deluge.. then logs out, and user B logs in, opens Deluge and runs the same .torrent file.. user B should have a download showing to be at the point where user A left off?

If that is correct then that pretty much solves my issue.. it would be nice for it to be automatic but I don't mind doing it manually if it works like this :)
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

shavenlunatic wrote:But.. from what you're saying.. that if I have the same download location.. and user A downloads a .torrent and opens it with deluge.. then logs out, and user B logs in, opens Deluge and runs the same .torrent file.. user B should have a download showing to be at the point where user A left off?
yep, that's correct.

sorry there's no syncing available, maybe in the future...
shavenlunatic
New User
New User

Post by shavenlunatic »

thanks for the advice.. much appreciated... and if deluge ever syncs I think I may marry it and have little Deluge babies!