Noob speed question

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Khruschev

Noob speed question

Post by Khruschev »

Alright, I'll admit that I know fairly little about torrents so bear with me here.

My preferred pattern for dealing with torrents is that I download them as fast as possible while uploading little, then put the torrent into full seeding for however long it took me to download. It seems to me like a fair system. What I want to do is turn off uploading entirely during the downloading process, because I've found that if I do both at the same time my internet connection gets shot to hell and I have to pause the torrent just to use a browser. It seemed like I should be able to just set the torrent upload speed to zero until it finishes, then set it to unlimited when it finishes downloading. However, when I do this a strange thing happens. Within a minute after stopping upload, the DL speed doubles or triples. However, over time it goes way down and after a while it rarely gets more than 3-5 kb/s.

Like I said, my knowledge of how torrents work is painfully limited, so any help is appreciated. Thank you!

EDIT:
After fiddling with speed settings some more, I've got a new problem. After attempts to get my DL speed back up failed, I returned upload and download speed to unlimited. Unfortunately, now I am getting nothing either up or down. Help!
loki

Re: Noob speed question

Post by loki »

You need to go by guidelines of what your connection is maxed out at, and go a little below that limit. Something at about 85-90% of maximum measured speed.
Not so important for download speed, you can likely leave that at unlimited. But the upload speed definitely needs to be set to keep you from maxing out your upload before you download, because if you max out the upload download will suffer. Actually if you max out either the other will suffer but usually you get more download bandwidth and it's not so much of an issue.
Another thing that doesn't really work is if you are downloading without uploading at all, especially when there's other peers to share with. The other clients and seeders programs will 'see' that you are not sharing and give you very little of their bandwidth, 'choke' you. The idea is the faster you share the faster they share.