Installing Deluge on Gentoox xbox

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
nipchee
New User
New User

Installing Deluge on Gentoox xbox

Post by nipchee »

Howdy, all!

Wondering if there's anyone out there who's had luck installing Deluge on a Gentoox xbox. Yes, I know, gentoox is merely a specialized distro of gentoo--but I also know that those few differences between them can make the difference between a working and a broken install.

So, here's the deal:
(1) If I'm lucky enough to encounter a gentoox xbox user who sucessfully installed a working copy of Deluge, could you please tell me HOW you did it and got it to work? Details, details, details! (I.e., did you have to edit config files; what precisely did you type to get around the keyword masking; etc.)

(2) If I'm only slightly lucky and there's a gentoo user out there who successfully installed Deluge, please provide a detailed explanation as to how you did it.

Yes, I know about emerge; but guess what, folks... even for those who are slightly more knowledgeable than n00bs, man pages tend to be pretty general. There's a huge gap between general information and direct application. Any insight you can provide is GREATLY appreciated by me and thousands of others who will read it as well.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Installing Deluge on Gentoox xbox

Post by andar »

nipchee wrote:Howdy, all!

Wondering if there's anyone out there who's had luck installing Deluge on a Gentoox xbox. Yes, I know, gentoox is merely a specialized distro of gentoo--but I also know that those few differences between them can make the difference between a working and a broken install.

So, here's the deal:
(1) If I'm lucky enough to encounter a gentoox xbox user who sucessfully installed a working copy of Deluge, could you please tell me HOW you did it and got it to work? Details, details, details! (I.e., did you have to edit config files; what precisely did you type to get around the keyword masking; etc.)

(2) If I'm only slightly lucky and there's a gentoo user out there who successfully installed Deluge, please provide a detailed explanation as to how you did it.

Yes, I know about emerge; but guess what, folks... even for those who are slightly more knowledgeable than n00bs, man pages tend to be pretty general. There's a huge gap between general information and direct application. Any insight you can provide is GREATLY appreciated by me and thousands of others who will read it as well.
You probably just need to add the ~x86 keyword.

Edit your /etc/portage/package.keywords file.. You may need to create it if you haven't already.

Code: Select all

# echo "net-p2p/deluge ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
If that directory doesn't exist you may need to mkdir it first.

Then all you should need to do is:

Code: Select all

# emerge deluge
Now.. Please read the Gentoo docs or install a more familiar distro.
nipchee
New User
New User

Post by nipchee »

Thanks for the advice. You helped me confirm that I was properly getting around the keyword masking.
Now.. Please read the Gentoo docs or install a more familiar distro.
Dude, this comment had me hammering out a rant. Needless to say, I thought better of it. I don't know whether you're referring to a more familiar distro of *nix or of a BT client. Either way, that was kind of a mean thing to say. It's not like I haven't tried other distros of either on my xbox. Besides xebian, gentoox is the only xbox distro that is updated frequently enough to make it possible to install newer programs on it without too major a hassle (think "wow! my system actually boots after installing bittornado! neat!" or "oh neat, I didn't automatically install xorg over xfree86 when I installed firefox, and XCFE still starts! Gee whiz, that's swell!").

I want to try deluge because it is supposedly "lightweight" and it is one of the few BT distros for linux that is actually updated frequently (and, thank jehosephat, it doesn't run on java like a big, fat, blue frog*cough*).

Anyway, I emerged a nifty little program called "autounmask," which is hella-faster for unmasking than having to edit the keyword masking files.

BUT---I ran into a blocking problem where "emerge --pretend =net-p2p/deluge-0.5.5" tells me that an older version of boost is blocking the install of a newer version of boost. I tried unemerging the older version of boost, but it said it wasn't installed. After screwing with revdep-rebuild (which, for once, said something along the lines of "hey, it's all good, bro"), I decided to emerge the older version of boost... just to see if I could then --unmerge it to remove the block. So, for the last 10 hours or so, emerge has been compiling an ill-fated version of boost (born only to die, how sad).

Please proceed to trash my stupidity, if warranted. :) If there's a better way (i.e., a way that works), let me know.

Also, is there a way to speed up the compile time for emerge? I mean, my xbox *is* compiling boost, for example--it's just slow as molasses (10 hours... and still chugging along).
nipchee
New User
New User

Post by nipchee »

Hey, andar... didn't mean to gripe. I appreciate the work you do as a developer.

boost has been compiling now for 18 hours... I thought it was frozen, for a bit, but it keeps going... just really really slow!