Deluge seems to kill my connection

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
frandavid100

Deluge seems to kill my connection

Post by frandavid100 »

Hi,

Deluge seems to work fine most of the time, but every now and then I open it and I lose my Internet connection... and my flatmates too! I mean, I still appear connected but the net becomes unresponsive: I can't load any pages, send or receive mails, chat or anything you would expect to do on the Internet. Deluge downloads stop too, although there seem to be active connections.

When this happens, the only possible solution is to disconnect my modem and router and keep them unplugged for some seconds, then plug them again. After doing this (and closing Deluge) we get the Internet working again, but opening Deluge again makes the whole thing start over. Deleting some random torrents, however, seems to make Deluge stop causing this.

Is there anything I can do to find out what the problem is?
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Deluge seems to kill my connection

Post by markybob »

you probably have too many open connections, which crashes some cheap routers. run the wizard in 0.5.5 or lower them yourself in preferences
medigeek

Post by medigeek »

that's correct, the lower maximum connections you set, the more stable it gets.
this also solves the so-called "internet choking" effect
mvoncken
Developer
Developer

Post by mvoncken »

i had problems with my router once when using any bittorrent client.
a firmware update on the router fixed it.

Are you shure only deluge is the problem, and did you investigate if your router has known bittorrent problems?
dev: webui, core, labels | irc:vonck7 |
hypermute

Post by hypermute »

Hi,

this problem was described previously. The latest thread dealing with it was this which links to that one.

As described on page 2 of the former post, I found a rather unorthodox solution:
I [...] changed the ports from a high value to a lower one and forwarded them accordingly, abandoning port ranges. It now looks something like this:

Before:
TCP & UDP: 9000 - 9001

After:
TCP & UDP: 12354
It definately works for me.

Yours,
hyper|mute
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Hmm maybe a suggestion for this client would be to give the user the ability to set how manny connections can be made per ms. I know for sure my Router crashes when it starts making connections to 300 peers in the span of 10 seconds ... but if the frequency was to be reduced my Router can handle.

In summary what I'm saying is add a feature where one could limit to amount of connection per "ms" this has a significant effect on preventing the Router from crashing, and you still have the ability to connect to a larger number of peers because the connection can be stable.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

MoJo wrote:Hmm maybe a suggestion for this client would be to give the user the ability to set how manny connections can be made per ms. I know for sure my Router crashes when it starts making connections to 300 peers in the span of 10 seconds ... but if the frequency was to be reduced my Router can handle.

In summary what I'm saying is add a feature where one could limit to amount of connection per "ms" this has a significant effect on preventing the Router from crashing, and you still have the ability to connect to a larger number of peers because the connection can be stable.
i just added a "max half-open connections" setting (in preferences) to svn trunk and set it to default at 8, which should significantly reduce the stress on broken/cheap routers.
frandavid100

Post by frandavid100 »

markybob wrote:you probably have too many open connections, which crashes some cheap routers. run the wizard in 0.5.5 or lower them yourself in preferences
I've tried lowering the maximum number of allowed connections, and I haven't got this problem again since you posted the message... so you are probably right.

Thanks a lot for your assistance :)