How can I use 2.1.x thin client setup on Debian 12?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Formula Juan

How can I use 2.1.x thin client setup on Debian 12?

Post by Formula Juan »

[EDIT] Please read my second comment instead of what is below.

My current setup is as follows-

Deluge Version: 1.3.15
Server host OS: Proxmox / an LXC container based on Debian 10
Client host OS(s): Debian 10m and Ubuntu 20.04 and 23.04
Hardware: AMD 2700X, ~/.config on NVMe SSDs

The Issue:

For quite a while now, when adding a new torrent to deluge, either via the thin client or the deluge-console, the CPU usage of the LXC container shows that one of it's two cores is at 100%. The container / deluge server will be completely unresponsive until I reboot the LXC. At which point, the torrents I was trying to add will usually not have been added (especially if I was adding large, or multiple torrents at the same time). Sometimes I'll get lucky and the torrent will have been added.

[EDIT] When I run into this issue, the thin clinet will also become unresposive, and will requirte killing via top in the terminal.

I've tried numerous things to resolve this issue but with no success... I have run across some bug reports that sound like they might be the same issue that I'm experiencing though.

So rather than try and fix the issue, I’ve been hoping that by upgrading to a newer version of deluge, the issue would no longer occur.

So I tried upgrading the LXC container to Debian 12, and the deluge stuff to the latest available version in the Bookworm (Debian 12) repo. The thin client interface is much more responsive, and removing torrents is no instantaneous rather than sluggish… but I’m having the same issue when adding torrents.

I would like to try out 2.1.1 but it's not available in the Bookworm repo, so I guess I have a number of questions...

1. What could be causing the 100% CPU usage when adding torrents on version 2.0.3?
2. Can I use a 2.0.3 client to connect to a 2.1.1 server?

[NOTE] I've just noticed the time! I'll post a comment tomorrow with some more questions.
Formula Juan

Re: How can I use 2.1.x thin client setup on Debian 12?

Post by Formula Juan »

I've not so much answered but rather sidestepped a few of my own questions or the points I raised in my first post.

First of all for my fellow Debian 12 users, you can install newer versions of Deluge by adding the deluge team's Ubuntu PPA to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Code: Select all

#Deluge PPA
deb https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/deluge-team/stable/ubuntu kinetic main
deb-src https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/deluge-team/stable/ubuntu kinetic main
Then apt update.

You may also need to manual accept the PPA's key.

Code: Select all

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 8EED8FB4A8E6DA6DFDF0192BC5E6A5ED249AD24C
More details regarding the PPA strings above, and more importantly, the key can be found on the deluge-team PPA.

That's how I was able to install deluge 2.1.1 on Debian 12. As for the server / deluged, I installed that in an Ubuntu 23.10 based LXC container and 23.10 already has version 2.1.2 in it's repos.

I've no added all the same plugins that I used to use but rather than restore my old .config folder, I've decided to start fresh and manually import my old torrents one by one. I've made this decision for several reasons but mainly because it will let me go through my old setup, validate it, and fix some less ideal setup choices I made when I last installed 1.3.15.

I will update this thread if I run into the same CPU usage issue, now that I'm using 2.1.x.