Download speed way too slow

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
coatl
New User
New User

Download speed way too slow

Post by coatl »

I recently set up a home server with deluge on it. AFAIK, I didn't change anything from the default options. When I started adding torrents, however, I noticed really slow download speeds of ~35 KiB/s (My internet is not that slow. I should be getting 200 Mbps from my ISP). Interestingly enough, when it's pulling down with the insane speed of 35 KiB/s, my whole home internet goes down. I cannot use my internet for anything else. Not even a forum will load. Considering I'm only using 0.15% of my bandwidth, this is really odd.

Thinking, it might be using all the bandwidth trying to negotiate too many connections, I tried turning down the peer limit to 50, which got me a very volatile 20 KiB/s ~ 700 KiB/s (hanging at about 20 KiB/s most of the time and only rarely reaching the triple digits).

After some googling, I found this (viewtopic.php?t=56221) thread. Disabling

Code: Select all

enable_outgoing_utp
&

enable_incoming_utp
only improved speeds minimally (~50 KiB/s now).

I find this all very weird, as both deluge and qbittorrent work without any issues on my desktop.

(BTW is there a way to see a speed graph on the webui? Do alternative webuis exist that interface with deluge?)
mhertz

Re: Download speed way too slow

Post by mhertz »

All I can suggest is to try other libtorrent version(and libtorrent 1.2.x VS 2.x) and use deluge 2.1.1, e.g from ppa or pypi, and not the older repo versions(2.0.3 etc) the Debian based distros often use(which atleast in older times could generate giant error logs, sometimes reported to be in GBs, because various python/twisted incompatibilities. Also e.g test qbittorrent-nox or alike, to check if infact deluge issue or general issue, with connection and/or libtorrent.
coatl
New User
New User

Post by coatl »

mhertz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:00 pm All I can suggest is to try other libtorrent version(and libtorrent 1.2.x VS 2.x) and use deluge 2.1.1
`deluge --version` returns

deluge 2.1.1
libtorrent: 2.0.9.0
Python: 3.11.7
So I'm already on deluge 2.1.1. Is there a way for me to play around with different versions of things without losing my configuration / already partially downloaded torrents? Can I just install a custom version via pip and it will recognize my previous config?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yes, it's easiest probably to use pip and e.g libtorrent==1.2.19 etc, which will be picked up and take precedence if remember correct. Sometimes need -U as already there, and you maybe need use a venv if gentoo adopted that newer bep released relating to python/pip package management.

You can rename deluge profile dir(as backup), and new will be generated upon first start. Could also use -c/--config option(s) with a path for new profile to use or generate, each approach work for quick testing.
coatl
New User
New User

Post by coatl »

I found the stats plugin and can get better numbers now. I also installed libtorrent 1.2.19 (through portage, gentoo's package manager).

libtorrent 2.0.9.0:
~150 K/s
~150 K/s
libtorrent2.png (108.04 KiB) Viewed 86308 times
libtorrent 1.2.19.0:
~150 K/s
~150 K/s
libtorrent1.png (113.54 KiB) Viewed 86308 times
Through the graph I also figured out that I actually got more bandwidth than I originally thought (150 K/s is still very little though). I originally misjudged it due to the volatility of my download speed:
Very volatile download speed
Very volatile download speed
volatile.png (161.82 KiB) Viewed 86308 times
Also apparent is, that reverting to libtorrent 1.2.19 did not improve my download speed
coatl
New User
New User

Post by coatl »

mhertz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:00 pm Also e.g test qbittorrent-nox or alike, to check if infact deluge issue or general issue, with connection and/or libtorrent.
Ok, I just tested qbittorrent-nox and it works normal. It even uses the same libtorrent version:
qbi.png
qbi.png (61.22 KiB) Viewed 86242 times
The problem seems to either be in deluge or in how I've set it up (shouldn't be that, though, as I've just done a bog-standard install).

I would really like to use deluge over qbittorrent, as I don't like Qt and because I can connect to deluge with my desktop via my local deluge install...