New User

Lost all torrent state ans session info

Post by dept27 »

Hi,

Just a quick question. Im runnifg the following:

deluged 2.1.1
libtorrent: 2.0.5.0
Python: 3.10.12

After a recent kernal update I rebooted my system and when it came back all the torrents were gone. The files where all there, but the session.state was blank. I checked the torrents.fastresume, torrents.state which contained dta but could not work out why it was not picking them up.

Just to understand what does the session.state, torrents.fastresume and torrents.state do. If the session.state is corrupt and the other files ok would it simply be restoring the session.state file from the .bak to get everything back.

Thanks in advance.
ambipro

Re: Lost all torrent state ans session info

Post by ambipro »

Depending on how many times you've restarted, session.state.bak might already have been overwritten.

The good news is you have the actual .torrents, and can just readd them. It may be a pain to set up proper directories if you don't keep them in a flat directory, though.
dept27
New User
New User

Post by dept27 »

Yep that is what I did. I re-imported the .torrent files in paused state and then redid a check and fianlly did my labels etc. So all good.

So from what I understand the session.state file is a config file and the torrents.state/fastresume is information on the actual torrents.

If I have this again is it a matter of just restoring those 3 files and I should be good as I am now backing them up.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

I'm not sure you need session.state, but yes, those three files would ensure consistency.

One thing to note, if you restart your client, it will overwrite the backup with the current. If you experience issues, it is best to back up your backups (I know....) before exiting/restarting the client. They will not persist past a restart...
dept27
New User
New User

Post by dept27 »

Right That explains why I had the issue the torrent state and or fastresume got corrupt and the restart caused the corrupt file overwrote the backup, hence the diff showed no difference in the files.

Also next time I do an kernel upgrade and ubuntu lists me the services to restart think I will not do deluge although this is the first time this happened and do a snapshot backup and reboot the server. Hopefully if something goes wrong I can jsut restore the files and not have to spend a few hours sorting out the torrents and labels and relevant download directories.

P.S. thanks for all the help/info.