Memory usage

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
ambipro

Re: Memory usage

Post by ambipro »

janos66 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:01 am Is it normal for deluge to use ~1Gb of memory with 1-2 active torrents seeding at ~1Mb/s (but ~100 torrents started for seeding, just mostly being inactive)?
This is not a new thing. I just didn't care because the 8Gb installed memory was always enough for everything (this is a "home server", not a desktop). But as time goes by I started running low on memory in certain situations, so I decided to bring this up.
The cache size and expiration are set to zero (but I also tried setting them to some very small non-zero number in case 0=unlimited).
The current versions are (but as I said, it's been like this for ... may be several years, so versions shouldn't matter that much):
deluge 2.1.1
libtorrent: 2.0.9.0
Python: 3.11.5
Cache settings in deluge with libtorrent 2.x are not relevant, libtorrent changed its file caching and that's probably the behavior you are seeing (it uses memory mapped files) is as they "intend" at libtorrent- you can look into viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56493 for instructions on how to limit the memory usage for libtorrent 2.x in linux, or alternatively install libtorrent 1.2.x and use cache settings.