Deluge installed on Synology NAS , but torrents die

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
KilgoreTrout
New User
New User

Deluge installed on Synology NAS , but torrents die

Post by KilgoreTrout »

I have just now installed the syncommunity version of Deluge on my Synology DS920+. From what I can see I have all configurations/preferences are as they should be, e.g. folders, ports, port forwarding in my router and network connections. I am using the BTGuard proxy. Usernames, urls, passwords and socks are correct. Nevertheless , as soon as a torrent is added it starts to download, e.g. up to 6.0kbps, but quickly fizzles out with nothing actually downloaded. All torrent information is there, with Announce being OK, peers visible etc. Indeed a connection with up to 6 seeders is briefly made. I have successfully tested the torrent in my PC version of Deluge, so the torrent file is fine.

Given that I appear to have a proper connection I can't think what else to adjust. Any pointers? I have tried without a proxy server, but using ExpressVPN instead. No joy. Exactly the same result.
mhertz

Re: Deluge installed on Synology NAS , but torrents die

Post by mhertz »

Sorry I don't know, but just wanted to add that it sounds like permission or path issues with download-location i.e. very slow speed from start that continually dwindles down to nothing slowly, so I would double-check your defined path exist and has permission for accessing by deluge. If you can, then enable debug/error logging, but not sure how that works on such DSM setups honestly. (EDiT: The service files in that deluge package already enables error-logging for INFO and up, I see, though is saved internally, so I guess you need SSH into to access, or I read recently about some tool which could be installed for accessing filesystem, filetools or something of sorts, sorry cannot remember name now.)
KilgoreTrout
New User
New User

Post by KilgoreTrout »

Thank you for your response.

I have examined folders and pathways again. They are all in place and pointed to from within Deluge. Deluge doesn't create its own folders in the Synology versions, but have to be created manually within the Synology control panel and file station and then referenced within Deluge preferences.

I had a look at permissions under the assumption that Deluge is an application, not a user. Within the permissions tabs of the main admin group there is an applications tab. Deluge was referenced within that, but was unchecked. I checked it and saved. Unfortunately, this has not made a difference to the performance of torrents.

I've looked for a plugin that might let me access error-logging. There doesn't seem to be a way of accessing that information in this version.
sjw

Post by sjw »

To add, Deluge does create folders upon install.
I know this because the recent update created 3 (I think) folders (eg watched) in my main download folder. If yours didn't then it could indeed be a permissions thing?
KilgoreTrout
New User
New User

Post by KilgoreTrout »

I installed the synocommunity version having watched a YouTube vid. They made a point of ensuring that the folders you required were set up manually and then have Deluge point at them.

I could try an uninstall/reinstall to see if the folders get created automatically.
KilgoreTrout
New User
New User

Post by KilgoreTrout »

Uninstalled and reinstalled.
1. Deluge did not create its own folders. I had to create them and ensured full permissions were given recursively.
2. Tried with and briefly without proxy; with and briefly without VPN. Same result. Dying torrent. I know the proxy is active and allowing data through because I tried changing the port. This stopped all traffic.
3. I dove into permissions for the download folder again and added read/write permission to pretty much anything that might make a difference. anything. No joy.
4. Have added 'log station' to see if it picks anything up. It notes that Deluge is installed and folders created, but does not detect general Deluge events.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlpLoG7kfyGqZ9hZMA ... w?e=7GrpHR

Edit. Next thing I might try is to create a Deluge folder in Volume1 to use instead of Downloads. I could make it a shared folder.
sjw

Post by sjw »

My downloads folder is a dedicated Share in volume1.
Deluge not creating any sub folders doesn't necessarily mean that that is not the issue if it is unable to create them in the first place - and then anything inside them (I appreciate you have set permissions to what 'should' allow it to) - but all I can say is on install it created the three folders it wanted to. I think it was watched, finished and something else.
I have them all set to /volume1/bittorrent though so changed the settings in Deluge and just deleted the folders afterwards.
Good luck.
KilgoreTrout
New User
New User

Post by KilgoreTrout »

BINGO! It works, and much faster than on the PC version of Deluge. Unfortunately, I don't know what I did right. The only thing I did that was different than I had already done, was to place a torrent file in Watch instead of browsing for it from within Deluge. Deluge picked this up automatically, as it should, but then download continued. Was this a case of having to lead the horse to water so it knew where to find it next time? I have now successfully downloaded 6 torrent files at speeds up to 90MB. Times eight, that is 720Mb, not far from my connection speed of 940Mb. That is impressive, considering I am working through BTGuard's proxy server.

Which reminds me. How do we know for sure that a proxy running in an NAS app is working?
Last edited by KilgoreTrout on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sjw

Post by sjw »

I send my torrent files to the same folder as the files download to so have Deluge pointing there too. They disappear as soon as the download starts. I download the torrent file and 'Send to' (mapped drive on PC) the folder that Deluge is watching.
Sounds like it's all working fine now.
Regarding the proxy, your IP address being reported to the tracker should be shown bottom right of Deluge. If it's different to your actual one it's all good...
KilgoreTrout
New User
New User

Post by KilgoreTrout »

Thanks. My torrent files disappear from watch too, but I went with the option to store them in a torrent files folder.

Regarding the proxy issue, you beat me to it. Yep, my proxy ip is in the bottom right, as you say. I found that BTGuard provides a checking torrent that displays your proxy ip once it downloads a gif to display. I guess that not all torrent clients display their ips as visibly as Deluge. My ass is hidden.