GUI Displayed IP Address

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mhertz

Re: GUI Displayed IP Address

Post by mhertz »

My VPN device is tun0 but yours not apparently - there where added some device/ip checking some time ago, so "wrong" thing not allowed defined anymore.

You can run 'ip addr' and see what your VPN device name is and enter - or enter the local IP of said VPN interface also listed through 'ip addr', though often changes upon each connecting/disconnecting so interface name best if possible.

Maybe you use wireguard or something, which I have no experience with sorry - I only know about regular 'ol openvpn myself, though i'd guess you should be able to list and bind to it same regardless, but not sure.

Edit: I believe with wireguard you can quickly see interfce name, e.g. wg0, through 'wg show'. Just adding this note in case you did possibly use wireguard.
Doctor.Corndog

Post by Doctor.Corndog »

It’s tun0. I’m using openvpn setup with PIA. Here is the output from an ifconfig:

Code: Select all

tun0: flags=4305<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,NOARP,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.30.112.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0  destination 10.30.112.xxx
        unspec 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 500  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 585  bytes 162636 (162.6 KB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 860  bytes 58753 (58.7 KB)
        TX errors 0  dropped
         0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
I just keep to be running into issues… I ran my old server for about 7 years without a single IP leak and just seem to be forgetting something here.

Could I modify the core.conf with the interface name, or is that generated/synced by something else and not meant to be changed manually?
Doctor.Corndog

Post by Doctor.Corndog »

So don’t mind me. Kinda just documenting my findings. So… the reason why I cannot set tun0 via the remote connection is as you said, tun0 doesn’t exist. It exists on my server, but NOT on the client machine I am using to connect to the deluge server. Once I logged in via the web it, I was able to bind the outgoing interface to tun0 without issue.

I rebooted the service but it’s still showing an external IP address that is NOT my vpn. Hmmm. Still working on it. Maybe I’ll just reboot the whole server and let openvpn connect and all the services restart and take a look.

This is consuming me lol
Doctor.Corndog

Post by Doctor.Corndog »

So, I’m at my place now and no longer able to open a GTK session or access the web-up while my openvpn is running. Since my server is operating at a different physical location I primarily use deluge-console to interact with it. Just some background before I begin.

One thing that I found interesting was when I was at the location of the server yesterday and was able to directly connect to the network was the differences in the configuration menu between a GTK session and the web. I’m the GTK, I had the option to set both an outgoing and incoming interface. Neither of which worked however, since it was looking for that interface on the client I was using to connect to the deluge server. Not ideal, but whatever.

Switched over to web hi and I was able to instantly set the outgoing interface to “tun0”, however there was not an option for incoming… just a field for “incoming address” if I remember correctly. Not sure what that would be used for. I’m assuming that is where I set my VPN’s address. I would rather use Interface I would think.

So this morning from a remote location I ssh over to my system. First into my Plex sever which is not on the VPN and I can easily get into and then over to the deluge server. I make a quick backup of the core.conf file. I open up the core conf and see that tun0 is set there. Makes sense. I set it yesterday. I change the incoming to tun0 as well and restart the deluged service. When I check, it reverted back to blank. Hmm.

This time I stopped deluged and went into the conf and made the same change then started deluged up and checked it’s status. Running healthy. I check the core.conf. The tun0 is still there! I pop off a deluge-console and there we have it, my external IP address is showing as the VPN address.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Glad you figured it out in the end :)

Yes indeed I see your point about there being issue with when in thinclient mode still checks localhost for available networks, so I will make a bug-ticket for that later.

Second, whenever changing core.conf, then stop deluged first before changing it, as you did in your last succesful attempt, as else gets overwritten when deluged stops during restart, with copy in memory.

Don't worry about the "wrong" interface-option naming in webUI, as is just not gotten updated yet, but is same as in gtkUI, so e.g. "tun0" both places.

Just always make sure to know the interface is correct when editing core.conf, as no error-checking happening when started and e.g. it happily lets me use tun0 on my windows VM which doesn't have such, meaning fails and so no binding happening - I always check this website in general to make sure no IP leaks to swarm(though down right now seemingly, but worked earlier today): ipmagnet.services.cbcdn.com (open-source website available on github - quicker/easier than wireshark and is pretty thorough I see in code e.g. even check possible "&ipv4/6=" fields in announces, so I like it much).
DjLegolas

Post by DjLegolas »

mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry not OP, but awesome, thanks alot DjLegolas! Do appreciate you! :)