Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Post by mhertz »

I'm sorry, unfortunetly I have no real help or advice to offer i'm affraid, as have no idea what the issue is. A few times some report strange issues, but me and the majority seem to not have them, which is the same as happens with the official deluge releases - yes I always test in a win10 clean VM whenever reporting something I tested in this thread, and don't worry, i'm not easilly offended lol, but thanks :) Sorry I had not tested the batchfile I posted and was just a thought and from top of my head. I tested previously myself deluge-console with the torrent in same folder, so never saw that path issue, sorry. Still not tested, but you could use e.g:

Code: Select all

for /f %%a in ('echo "%1"') do set var=%%a
PATH-TO\Deluge\deluge-console "connect localhost ; add %var:\=/%"
Which replaces \ with / through variable-expansion/replacement, or instead extract first part of path and CD into and extract torrent-name without path and add that with:

Code: Select all

cd "%~dp1"
PATH-TO\Deluge\deluge-console "connect localhost ; add %~nx1"
Deluge-console was rewritten in deluge2 by linux user and he seemingly forgot add some windows compatibility into it, like older version from deluge1.

I could send you a portable folder, but honestly it's the exact same as if you select to install with default settings and just click portable install as only change and then OK to all - I often don't wanna spend time doing that and just extract the install with 7-Zip through rightclicking it and select "Extract into deluge-2.0.4.dev38 folder" as 7-Zip supports extracting NSIS installers(WinRAR doesn't I believe) - Note if doing this, then there comes an error at the end about conflicting files or duplicates or something and so just select yes and apply to all, as not important, and is because theres a couple files with same name in different dirs that's copied in place conditionally based upon selected options in installer, so just selecting OK to overwrite is fine - it starts with black theme btw, but I don't care, as just for testing.

The only thing I can sort-off guess upon, is that maybe its the runtime-files version you have installed that somehow messes deluge up - I don't know at all if related, but could be. The runtimes in me and petersasi's installers are ones I added some 8 months ago, and in my new build I only include one runtime file as only one needed as the embedded python I changed too, comes with the other two needed, by default also. If having some runtime installed, then I think that is used before the one I included, so maybe try installing latest visual C++ rruntimes 14.28.xxxx if wanted. I don't think it would help, as you probably already have one installed that takes precedense, but you could try adding the newest version of this runtime file and replace the old with, under data\bin\msvcp140.dll:

https://paste.c-net.org/BambiDealers

I would restart my machine after adding that file and/or after upgrading your own runtimes, as if such file once loaded from deluge or other app, then lingers in memory and used again next time I believe, so don't mix between petersasi's and mine if upgrading that file etc, but I think the locally installed version takes precedense if installed, but I haven't installed such as clean win10 VM latest edition and fully updated.

Again i'm sorry I cannot help you, especially after you put so much work in propper logs and troubleshooting/testing etc

Last, I tested succesfully these two torrents, both URL and downloaded files:

https://archlinux.org/releng/releases/2 ... 1/torrent/
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... etinst.iso

Ohh, if you in installer have selected GTK_CSD=0, then don't, as can have performance impact, e.g. you stated that you could barely write with deluge running in background - just in case was related.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Just in case, then here's my zipped folder the deluge-2.0.4.dev38 installer gets build from in my build-scripts and which I've tested works here, and now theres included latest vcruntime file and newer builds of libtorrent, boost and gtk3 - libtorrent and boost are newer versions, but gtk3 is same version, but has some more commits included as built from the release-candidate branch, so e.g. if a new gtk release comes soon then this would be almost the same:

https://gofile.io/d/oSuL2e
bengalih
Leecher
Leecher

Post by bengalih »

mhertz wrote:Just in case, then here's my zipped folder the deluge-2.0.4.dev38 installer gets build from in my build-scripts and which I've tested works here, and now theres included latest vcruntime file and newer builds of libtorrent, boost and gtk3 - libtorrent and boost are newer versions, but gtk3 is same version, but has some more commits included as built from the release-candidate branch, so e.g. if a new gtk release comes soon then this would be almost the same:

https://gofile.io/d/oSuL2e
Ok, so I downloaded this, unzipped and ran. Same result. But then I went back up a post and grabbed the archlinux torrent you linked (the other one was not a torrent link, but an iso link).

And, lo and behold - that worked! Tested it in my original config and it worked too!

But not any single other one I have tried work. Like, try the one from Centos:

http://mirror.oss.ou.edu/centos/7.9.200 ... 09.torrent

You should hopefully see the same error I do.

So...yeah..maybe it has something to do with improperly created torrent files...or at least torrent files that don't adhere to a specific format. But hey ...if 9 out of 10 files I tried in the last day don't work and even an official torrent from one of the largest linux distros fails...something is up with the web gui. Especially because it works in the thick client.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Indeed, get same behaviour - I tested just on my linux system, where have deluge-2.0.4.dev38 installed, just to see if worked there for some reason, but not on windows, but could stop there already, as saw exact same issue as you! Unfortunate indeed - i'll see if I can find something usefull, logwise etc and make ticket, some time later, but thanks for reporting as pretty big deluge issue obviously. So the json api fails, but not the general deluge api, though as said, i'm not really very good at these sorts of things, unless very easy and straight in your face what's the issue pretty much, unfortunetly. Unrelated but there's also an issue with installing plugins sometimes from webui, but not from other UIs, so seemingly there is things lacking there compared to e.g the GTKUI.

Sorry I was little to quick and posted wrong link, and meant this here, but not important as we're on same page now, sadly: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so.torrent

Anyway, I noticed that if you copy/paste the torrent-link and add as URL instead of file, in the webUI, then that centos iso worked, so could be a viable workaround if possible, but of-course would be better if worked fully but nonetheless.

Thanks for the testing/reporting and sorry again I couldn't be of any help.
bengalih
Leecher
Leecher

Post by bengalih »

mhertz wrote: Thanks for the testing/reporting and sorry again I couldn't be of any help.
Ok, so I downloaded your zip and still getting the same issue of extremely slow launch times.
It sounded like you said you already had the appropriate dependencies within the zip, so I'm not sure what else you suggest I try to see why I have such slow launch times? Do you still think I need to update/replace some dependencies?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yes I have all deps needed there, but there's something interferring, possibly gtk3 related but have no idea honestly. Even though everything is included, there probably is something overriding it that you have both places since happens both places. Probably not gonna help, but you could try upgrade your vc runtimes as I think they are overridden by the included version but again not sure: https://download.visualstudio.microsoft ... st.x64.exe - Up to you - Can just say doesn't happen on clean win10 WM and neither at a family-members win10 PC I just also installed and tested under - always test with no extra plugins enabled and without gtk_csd enabled in installer, as I have here without issue.

Have no advice for you honestly, sorry :(
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Btw, if up for it, then you could make log to me through dependency-walker, to show me the files and there path's loaded in during the startup-process. This was something I had people do with issues little over a year ago, when people reported such issues I couldn't reproduce, and when I could find a solution, then was a file they had on there system that interferred and was loaded instead of mine - I though then changed something after the change to python 3.8+ which exposed a new feature I could utilize for setting which dir dll's should first be looked into and loaded from(missing from previous python's and often plauged various python projects), so these issues mostly stopped, but possibly there could still be something like that going on, e.g. a dll loading another dll from system32 or something - it's probably not going to lead to anything as since said, shouldn't be an issue anymore, and it sounds more likely that you instead just have some loaded file(s) which for some reason disturbs something in deluge or it's components, but as I have no other ideas.

Here's a link to these old instructions if feeling up for it. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55463&start=200#p230861
bengalih
Leecher
Leecher

Post by bengalih »

mhertz wrote:Btw, if up for it, then you could make log to me through dependency-walker, to show me the files and there path's loaded in during the startup-process. This was something I had people do with issues little over a year ago, when people reported such issues I couldn't reproduce, and when I could find a solution, then was a file they had on there system that interferred and was loaded instead of mine - I though then changed something after the change to python 3.8+ which exposed a new feature I could utilize for setting which dir dll's should first be looked into and loaded from(missing from previous python's and often plauged various python projects), so these issues mostly stopped, but possibly there could still be something like that going on, e.g. a dll loading another dll from system32 or something - it's probably not going to lead to anything as since said, shouldn't be an issue anymore, and it sounds more likely that you instead just have some loaded file(s) which for some reason disturbs something in deluge or it's components, but as I have no other ideas.

Here's a link to these old instructions if feeling up for it. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55463&start=200#p230861
Ok. I restarted/relogged in and the issue seems better now. I've been able to launch deluge in about 5 seconds (still using your portable as I uninstalled my other). Now that I recall I do think that this issue tends to not happen after a clean reboot/login, but rather something that creeps up over time. I often leave my laptop logged in for weeks at a time, there is very rarely reason to reboot under normal circumstances.

So, I will wait for the issue to reoccur and if it does I will follow the instructions you provided.

In the meantime, I think I want to incorporate the deluge-console into some scripts. Where is the best place for me to go to find the latest versions of your builds (when they are updated)?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

OK, lets say that then :)

If petersasi doesn't return, then I plan on releasing a build once in a while, if i'm possible to do that without to many issues, e.g. sometime gtk3 building breaks and needs patching I have to hunt down if available etc or revert commits and whatnot, or new python update makes some deps unavailable, and so i'm not promising anything, but you raise a good point and cannot have people monitor big threads for changes obviously, so I will update first post of my old original thread, as don't have access to this thread's first post as is petersasi's, though do hope that he returns soon hopefully, so I can take a backseat again, and a windows user can take over. The old thread is here, and I just updated the top line of first post with link and date of latest release i.e. 7 dec 2020, though you got a "prerelease" in that zip, so I might as well make a new release with that, but just thought to wait till atleast next gtk3 version released. I will also post in this thread when making a release, but just so people don't need to keep up to date with that.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55463
PhiliP

Post by PhiliP »

mhertz wrote:@all, If wanting to have the bottom shown tabs horizontal instead of vertical in deluge2, just like deluge1 had, then change 'tab_pos' from 'left' to 'top' in 'INSTALL-DIR\Lib\site-packages\deluge\ui\gtk3\glade\main_window.ui', line 764, and also next line's 'show_border' option from 'False' to 'True'.

Then the horizontal line can be dragged up or down to make bigger or smaller tab section area to fit your preference and is usually remembered upon restart, but at times fails to regenerate at startup, which is a deluge2 bug, or gtk3 dunno, and if going into your deluge config folder and write-protect your gtk3ui.conf file('rightclick > properties > read-only'), then that should help I think - the setting there controlling this is 'tabsbar_position', where a lower value gives you a higher/bigger area and higher value a lower/shorter area. The value used when deluge is first started and such file doesn't exist(as upon first run, or after deleted profile-dir), is in 'INSTALL-DIR\Lib\site-packages\deluge\ui\gtk3\gtkui.py, line 124 named 'tabsbar_position' and default is '235'. Deluge saves into gtk3ui.conf at closing deluge and that file takes precedense i.e. tabsbar_position default value from gtkui.py is overridden at startup from the value in gtk3ui.conf - I don't know if saves wrong value in gtk3ui.conf at times or fails to read correct value at times, but if continuing having problems, then maybe try update in both places while write-protecting gtk3ui.conf(with correct value in first, of-course) and see if helps.
Done (Thanks) ! (the first part).

Is there a way to always choose the same tab (i wish the file tab to be setted by default) ?