Ongoing issue with Deluge Socks5 proxy with Auth

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
movielover76
New User
New User

Ongoing issue with Deluge Socks5 proxy with Auth

Post by movielover76 »

I use Torguard socks 5 proxy. It works most of the time But I have a problem that from time to time the connection stops working and all torrents have a tracker status of something like connection timed out. I am using the deluge in a docker container the image is from linuxserver.io and the version is Deluge 2.0.3-2-201906121747-ubuntu18.04.1

When it stops I can't get it to work again without extensive fiddling with it. Normally I have to change the proxy server. I try to use proxy.torguard.org or proxy.torguard.io as it should direct me to a working proxy close to me. Often that stops working and I try to try various IPs on their list until it starts working. I used to have the same issue with the same proxy servers on Utorrent on windows but a simple restart of the client fixed it. That doesn't work with deluge.
In the proxy configuration in the webui I have everything selected proxy hostname,peers,trackers. Force use of proxy and proxy trackers.

This is complete conjecture but I'm wondering if deluge has a few errors connecting to the proxy server and then just does something similar to an IP ban and stops trying to connect until I change the value. I tried changing the container logging to debug or info but I only get the same startup information and web requests the webui + browser are generating. I don't see anything in the logs about attempting to connect to the proxy or any other IP.

If you have a new theory or any solutions please let me know. I also entered a ticket with Torguard.
Thank you so much.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Ongoing issue with Deluge Socks5 proxy with Auth

Post by gderf »

My setup is essentially the same as yours - docker and Torguard socks 5 proxy, but I run linuxserver.io Deluge 1.3.15 instead.

And I see the same stalling from time to time. Two things I have tried seem to work fairly well. One is to restart the docker container. The other is to change the proxy port in Deluge - three ports are available: 1080, 1085, and 1090. Don't forget to apply the changes.

So far I have been unable to determine what is causing this.

If you get any information about this from your Torguard ticket, please share it with us.
movielover76
New User
New User

Post by movielover76 »

They said they are experiencing some issues particularly with the domains proxy.torguard.org and proxy.torguard.io and they Hope to resolve the issue this week. I changed mine to one of the Canadian proxy IPs and it seems to be working now.
I seem to have to change the proxy server name back and forth between .org and .io or put in an IP. restarting the container doesn't seem to do anything unless I change the hostname or IP maybe that's a difference between 1.3.15 and 2.0.x.

I get the feeling that deluge gives up on trying to contact the proxy server until you change something. I wish their was a setting in deluge to keep trying the proxy because if I leave it alone it will stay stalled I've left it up to a week. I don't think the proxy server is down that long, deluge just gives up trying. That's my theory.

At least I know it's not just me. Thanks
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry no solution or real help to offer, and just wanted to say I have seen that too, a couple of years ago before changing to VPN, but with deluge 1.3.15 or so. Btw, as torguard proxy includes VPN if i'm not mistaken, and even includes port-forwarding, then might be something to think about changing to a deluge with openvpn docker, which in my experience works better sometimes with e.g. udp trackers etc, where libtorrent sometimes can be finnicky and as with port-forwarding you will theoretically get faster speed, because of better connectability/sharability/unchokability lol in smaller not so popular swarms.

Anyway, most everybody uses dante socks5 server as backend, and that have generally known to having some performance problems with udp/uTP, e.g. my provider rewrote there server-software because got overloaded often because of it. Anyway, your best bet is imho to do as you do, and drop the url and select a good IP, that stays up and has good speeds. Sometimes even when restarting you get the same IP many times in row and other times not - which was a problem for me back in the day at a couple times, where one or two IPs went down from the ones in the DNS list.

Deluge doesn't do anything, and it's libtorrent-rasterbar that control this, and it seems it does some caching in later libtorrents sometimes, e.g. in this quote from lead-dev Arvid:
DNS lookups are synchronous (although done on a separate thread). If you have connectivity issues to your DNS server, or have lots of names that are not in any close DNS caches, it may take a long time to perform the lookups. Later versions of libtorrent tries to mitigate this to some degree by caching DNS lookups and, when shutting down, using the cached responses rather than risking the OS cache has expired requiring a new online lookup. This is most commonly a problem if you start up and then shut down shortly after, while the initial DNS lookups still haven't completed yet.
Again, sorry can not help, and just wanted to reiterate what you're doing i.e. use fixed IP. Maybe the caching from libtorrent is saved in session.state i'm guessing, so could try delete that file from deluge profile at restart, but still annoying I can understand.

Edit: Sorry maybe I misunderstood the quote and its not caching for next restart and only for same run, i'm not fully sure but sound more like that after rereading it, sorry.
movielover76
New User
New User

Post by movielover76 »

Thanks for the information, that helps some. I've considered switching to VPN but I haven't because my CPU in my server is pretty week. But i'd probably rather deal with slightly slower speeds that are reliable instead of having to check the server periodically to see and fix it if it's stalled. this client is downloading from RSS so having to check on the server constantly kinda defeats the purpose of the automation lol.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Try some time with a fixed IP and change it if bad, and possibly it will all be fixed, and hopefuly just a bad IP you hit - I quickly checked an online dns checker, they have insanely many IPs to choose from atleast :) Also there sometimes gets libtorrent backend fixes for proxy stability, so make sure you're using newest one possible.

About low powered units and VPNs, then you can in the openvpn config define cipher for encryption, but it has to be allowed from the provider the setting you define, as else just gets overriden when pushed from server during connection. I quickly checked and torguard supports both the standard powerfull AES ones, but also blowfish and even none, so should help if having issues if ever deciding going that route. As with proxies, it's only the IP masking functionality that's relevant for us, and not the encryption, unless having throttling issues with ISP doing traffic shapping.

Good luck :)
movielover76
New User
New User

Post by movielover76 »

Thanks, the ip address is currently working. But I'm considering the VPN if I continue to encounter instability.
I'll look into using a VPN, if I could use it with no encryption and it's more stable I'll give it a shot.
thedelph
New User
New User

Post by thedelph »

Hi.

I too am getting similar issues using NordVPN and Socks5 proxy w/ Auth.

My torrents have all been downloading fine up until a couple of weeks ago when they stopped.

The error from all the trackers is the same:

"The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request."

I've tried changing the NordVPN server that I'm connecting to, I've tried restarting the service and server. I've also tried changing the ports based on this thread from 1080 to 1085 and 1090, but nothing works.

Any ideas on what might be the issue?
movielover76
New User
New User

Post by movielover76 »

How did you get that detailed error? I couldn't find anything in my logs when I turned them up to debug
thedelph
New User
New User

Post by thedelph »

movielover76 wrote:How did you get that detailed error? I couldn't find anything in my logs when I turned them up to debug
It shows in "Tracker Status" on the downloading torrent, on the "Status" tab.