How to create private torrents?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
jerry1970
New User
New User

How to create private torrents?

Post by jerry1970 »

I am trying to share some files privately. Some documenbtation tells me to skip the Torrent Details part, so not adding any trackers.

I am sharing from an Ubuntu machine where Deluge works perfectly using normal public trackers and private trackers like Dimeadozen and Trader's Den.

But when I create a torrent file for a folder and try and add it to Deluge, it doesn't show up at all.
When I open the torrent on another machine (Windows) it is added to Deluge but doesn't start.

Where's documentation that makes it work?

Thanks!
jerry1970
New User
New User

Re: How to create private torrents?

Post by jerry1970 »

I got something working when I didn't check the Private box and added an open tracker:
udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce
It works on my other machine, but it doesn't work for someone else who is helping me test this.

I don't care whether the torrent is private or not, just want to send a torrent file to one or a few people to share some files.
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

Hi jerry1970

When you create the torrent just tick the checkbox "Set Private Flag" and you get a private torrent.

As for the torrent creation, uploading, seeding etc. I would recommend looking it up on Wikibooks, Wikihow or Reddit. No offense intended.

Anyway, you definitely would need a tracker to announce your torrent. Alternatively you could share the torrent file and see if you could connect to each other with DHT.
jerry1970
New User
New User

Post by jerry1970 »

fmar wrote:Hi jerry1970
As for the torrent creation, uploading, seeding etc. I would recommend looking it up on Wikibooks, Wikihow or Reddit. No offense intended.

Anyway, you definitely would need a tracker to announce your torrent. Alternatively you could share the torrent file and see if you could connect to each other with DHT.
Thanks! (And no offense taken, I just couldn't fit all the different info together to make it working.)
OK, I'll look into the DHT thing.
Thanks
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

There are also several lists of public trackers availabe, such as this one. But I don't know if all the trackers respect the private flag.