*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, no, my original buildscripts never say that(built result I mean). It's strange it states that dos path too. I only used that dos path one place in script where specifically needed because of deluge bug in plugin building, with pip atleast(and installing in folder with space i.e. %programfiles% and with no quoting style helping), and to lazy to change all those lines to other path(e.g. C:\python, like rest of buildscripts), including also the patching exe lines and ones in fixdeluged.py and fixdeluge-web.py.

You can change it to deluge if you want, but there is something going on with your scripts imho. Also, I used deluge2, because already having deluge installed, and so cannot have it use that occupied path when building new deluge + it's a remains of soon a year ago where batchfiles was only provided means of install. If it need have a special path e.g. %programfiles%\deluge, then the patching of exe's have failed, as they are patched to be portable, and so selecting portable install in installer would break and likewise if selecting other than default path for normal install. Look at the lines of portable.py that patch the exes, as something must be wrong there, compared to mine. Btw, I don't know if portable.py is case-sensitive or not, hence never used %programfiles% there, as remember you said you changed all/most references to that in some scripts including deluge. The paths are in lowercase in the exe's by default i'm pretty sure, since I wrote it that way in deluge buildscripts.

You can PM me one of your scripts too, or let me know if I e.g. should PM you my email, for you to send script to, or whatever, just thinking out loud.

I just built latest deluge dev in the background while writing this, and now runned deluge.exe directly from it's built deluge-2.0.4.dev38 folder under C:\deluge2, and starts up like usual.

Let me know if can do something, as said in previous paragraphs.

Edit: Same with deluge-stable.

Edit2: Take it easy mate, mess with that another day.
Last edited by mhertz on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Just some supplementing info, and sorry if already understand, in which case, please simply ignore/disregard :) Also, this is just for feature reference, so don't overwork yourself on these things - I know from personal experience that some little annying issues to encounter can easilly take half your bloody day/night testing/debugging throughout, with small changes and countless rebuilds following, jeez, though is a nice feeling imho when finally finding, or sometimes stumbling even, on a solution :)

In the portable.py lines you seemingly exchange the path to %programfiles%\deluge instead of relative pythonw.exe from that error, or patching failed and you installed python into %programfiles%\deluge, look into those lines of script + inside the exe's, I use vim, but with whatever, notepad or whatnot, and see what they reference to, after the shebang(like linux shell-scripts, though here comes later in file and not in beginning + not text file format either - the python official docs state it's python loader component on windows is using that line, though I don't even install that, as adds extra entry to uninstall programs dialog in windows, so extra uninstall command needed afterwards and while being unneded for us anyways, and the shebang still used, so docs is wrong from my testings) e.g. search for 'python' or look through manually as not big files. BTW, for some reason, changing python.exe to pythonw.exe in non-debug daemons, to fix that deluge bug, still makes a cmd prompt open when launched, and so running the fixdeluged.py and fixdeluge-web.py code on them afterwards, fixes that issue, hence those additions added there.

The exe's by default have the install path of python selected during install hard-coded directly in them(atleast when installed through pip, as I seem to recall later testing regular source install direct from git clone or tarball, which didn't do that, though strange because the pip method also clones git and builds like that anyway, but whatever, didn't bother possibly reverting scripts, as worked fine anyway, and possibly I remembered wrong anyways about that, I.e not using pip changing things, as also do sound little strange to my ears, or how it's put). Portable.py lines changes those references to a relative pythonw.exe or python.exe in a few cases. Anyway, as said, this goes back to when I made batch-files for building/installing deluge2 directly under %programfiles%\deluge2 and making desktop/starmenu shortcuts for it etc, but the way it works today, with including in installer, then might as well use C:\python, or alike like rest scripts does, as no reason install temporary into admin-needed path + spaces in path, when not keeping it there for feature use and just temporary holding/storing place until moved away, but too lazy, and no functional diff anyway regardless.
Last edited by mhertz on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
highvoltage
Leecher
Leecher

Post by highvoltage »

Hi mhertz how are you ?

could you send me libtorrent so i can just replace it?

libtorrent-1.2.7

https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/releases

Thanks very much
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hey there highvoltage, i'm mighty good thanks, and appreciate you asking mate :)

Hmm, at the risk of sounding like a jerk, then i'd rather not, sorry. If there where no new maintainer and something was badly needed, then obviously I would step up and make an exception, if able to, but firstly, there is a new guy here available, and a really good one at that even, making upgrades to my stuff, and so i'd rather have requests be sent to him please. He though has just started and am working on cleaning up my messy stuff lol, as can be read in last few pages, so give the chap some time please, and he also have already uploaded new builds of deluge dev and stable with new libtorrent and gtk builds etc, in which I believe libtorrent 1.2.x there-in is 2 days before the v1.2.7 release, or something, so almost up2date already.

I'm not myself working on this anymore as said, and I didn't only meant installer persay, but all sub-components too, as don't use windows besides used to with this project here. I did save the VM and source files to if later something badly needed updating was warranted and none else stepped up, as said, but happily that wasen't the situation.

Also, it would be imho disrespectfull to begin post builds here, in what is practically now another persons project.

Hope you can understand these reasons, and honestly it's a little hard for me to not simply oblige and make the build/upload simply, but as said, there are some considerations behind me saying respectfully not thinking it's a good idea, which is pretty far from my personality honestly, but that's my thoughts on it and hope you respect that.

Have a nice weekend and take care ya'll :)
Last edited by mhertz on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
highvoltage
Leecher
Leecher

Post by highvoltage »

No Problem mhertz thanks for all.

is possíble just replace libtorrent.pyd ( C:\Program Files\Deluge\Lib\site-packages )

or would a reinstallation be necessary?

Thanks for all the support, I will wait for an update of petersasi. :)

Best Regards
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Really glad to hear that, thank you :)

Yes, libtorrent.pyd is only that single self contained file on windows, providing both the C++ compiled libtorrent and its python wrapper, on windows, and so can be replaced as wanted.

You're most welcome mate :)
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

New release!

Post by petersasi »

Okay, I have figured out the root cause:
  1. When I had put C:\Program Files\deluge2 and C:\Program Files\deluge2\scripts in PATH and switched python and pip invocations from full path to commands only....
  2. that broke the build of the deluge plugins.
  3. Instead if using full path again or patching up setup.py I just switched the PATH to using 8.3 names (\PROGRA~1\) not to contain space.
  4. However the portable.py "search and replace inside the executable" fixing up deluge*.exe was still searching for C:\Program Files\python{w,}.exe, so did not replace anything.
  5. so now I have also added another set of search and replaces for the paths with the 8.3 name too (not very elegant, but did not want to come up with a convoluted solution till I am sure it is actually the fix).
I got rid of the remnants of the C:\Program Files\Deluge2 folder, anyways, for a long time this installer too installs into C:\Program Files\Deluge. Had to update:
  1. the deluge-build\deluge-stable.cmd and the deluge-dev.cmd in the same dir
  2. fixdeluged.py and fixdeluge-web.py did need updates too
I have rebuilt it after fixing all this.
And then I noticed litorrent 1.2.7 was released, so rebuilt that and then both deluge versions and both installers again :lol: - so you should have both deluge versions with both libtorrent 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 (@highvoltage ;) ) available on the dowonload link, Enjoy! :D
Other highlights of these releases:
  • boost used by libtorrent is being optimized for speed instead of space
  • boost is updated to 1.73
PS: I will also re-package and publish the build scripts soon, but while at it I also want to make all the scripts use meaningful variable names in place of some leftover %var% and %var2% (no offence @MHerz. ;) )
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Installer size

Post by petersasi »

Hi MHerz,

Another mid-term idea I have is to work on reducing the installer size. Have you tried to e.g. run deluge in a sysinternals process monitor for instance to figure out what are all the files actually used by deluge, deluged, thin-client, deluge-web and so on... and delete the rest!

What do you think, could this work?

Thanks!
highvoltage
Leecher
Leecher

Post by highvoltage »

Hi petersasi,

Thanks very much for the job, update deluge all works

:D
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Good job petersasi, nice to see :)

Indeed I have thought about reducing size with some script or app showing files in use, but never gotten around too it, and just for the time being was content with the 200+ mb reduced by trial and error, actually I believe about 300mb, but not fully sure as don't remember completely, and mostly gtk3. Good idea with using one of those sysinternal apps or whatever called.

No offense taken whatsoever! :) Change away to your hearts content mate!