intermittent 'no route to host' error

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

intermittent 'no route to host' error

Post by pjlbyrne »

Hi,

My torrents have started generating 'no route to host' errors. When I check the daemon often 1/3 of the torrents could be in this state. If I select them all and do 'update tracker' they are ok again. But the problem just recurs some time later.

Is there something I can do about this deluge-side? To make the tracker updates occur more often so the errors persist for less time?

Thanks
mhertz

Re: intermittent 'no route to host' error

Post by mhertz »

I presume you're using libtorrent 1.2.3+ and so in that case can disregard the "error" completely. There's a pull-request submitted by djlegolas, which I tested to fix this, which you could merge locally if wanted, but it's merely just a "cosmetic" issue, so no real need to.

https://github.com/deluge-torrent/delug ... ab32aa45e3

https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/4529
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

Post by pjlbyrne »

It's just cosmetic? That's great!

Are you sure it is the same issue though? I am using thin client connection from both linux & windows to a deluge daemon running on archlinux.

I don't know what libtorrent 1.2.3 means in unix-lib terms. I see:

Code: Select all

$ ll /lib/libtorrent*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   30 Apr 22 03:54 /lib/libtorrent-rasterbar.so -> libtorrent-rasterbar.so.10.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   30 Apr 22 03:54 /lib/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.10 -> libtorrent-rasterbar.so.10.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4.4M Apr 22 03:54 /lib/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.10.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Jul 19  2019 /lib/libtorrent.so -> libtorrent.so.21.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Jul 19  2019 /lib/libtorrent.so.21 -> libtorrent.so.21.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.3M Jul 19  2019 /lib/libtorrent.so.21.0.0
If the error is going to go away when this change/fix is pushed to the arch libs then that would be great. Thanks.
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

Post by pjlbyrne »

I also changed from TalkTalk to google DNS servers 2 hours ago and the problem has not recurred yet, which is some indication it might have been a DNS issue.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I cannot say 100% without looking through your log. If you enable logging, and check there that when happens that some endpoints fail, usually 127.0.0.1, and others doesn't(e.g one tracker fails through 127.0.0.1 and same tracker succeeds with your main IP), then it's that issue, which much sounds like it, since saying it resolves itself later and also in my submitted libtorrent issue on this which I also linked above, then Arvid stated, he would presume it would report the error you stated, when this happens, and this was intended behavior in later libtorrent versions, hence the PR by djlegolas to change this(but simply hides error from UI solely, which is why I said it wasent important when just knowing the issue, and is more to not confuse users not knowing this in advance). BTW, you can check libtorrent version through running in terminal "deluged --version".
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

Post by pjlbyrne »

Hmm I had logging enabled but I'm not seeing relevant looking errors. Perhaps the log level is too low?

I have:

$ deluged --version
deluged 2.0.4.dev37
libtorrent: 1.2.6.0
Python: 3.8.2
built off deluge git dev branch (in archlinux) a couple of weeks ago.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yeah, with that setup you're properly gonna experience tracking errors intermittently, though I cannot say for sure if that is what you're experiencing. You need debug logging to see it.

I only tested it on windows, and there I saw another error, and got another error reported by another windows user too, plus the error you see, which Arvid stated he would expect to see. I don't know if it's differences in windows VS Linux or whatever it is, but just know that with libtorrent 1.2.3+ you will often see such, because of multi-homed support added, which has this as a side-effect and e.g qbittorrent also fixed some time ago, to hide error from UI, just like with PR by djlegolas.

Here's an example from windows:

[DEBUG   ][deluge.core.alertmanager          :65  ] Handling alert: tracker_announce_alert
15:40:06 [DEBUG   ][deluge.core.alertmanager          :65  ] tracker_announce_alert: archlinux-2020.04.01-x86_64.iso (http://tracker.archlinux.org:6969/announce)[127.0.0.1:61262] sending announce (started)
15:40:06 [DEBUG   ][deluge.core.alertmanager          :65  ] Handling alert: tracker_announce_alert
15:40:06 [DEBUG   ][deluge.core.alertmanager          :65  ] tracker_error_alert: archlinux-2020.04.01-x86_64.iso (http://tracker.archlinux.org:6969/announce)[127.0.0.1:61262] The system cannot open the device or file specified "" (1)
15:40:06 [DEBUG   ][deluge.core.alertmanager          :65  ] Handling alert: tracker_error_alert
15:40:06 [DEBUG   ][deluge.core.alertmanager          :65  ] tracker_reply_alert: archlinux-2020.04.01-x86_64.iso (http://tracker.archlinux.org:6969/announce)[192.168.0.15:61262] received peers: 100
15:40:06 [DEBUG   ][deluge.core.alertmanager          :65  ] scrape_failed_alert: archlinux-2020.04.01-x86_64.iso (http://tracker.archlinux.org:6969/announce)[127.0.0.1:61262] scrape failed: 
15:40:06 [DEBUG   ][deluge.core.alertmanager          :65  ] scrape_reply_alert: archlinux-2020.04.01-x86_64.iso (http://tracker.archlinux.org:6969/announce)[192.168.0.15:61262] scrape reply: 18 828
Currently in deluge, it will show the last tracker status, so if last is error, then it shows error in UI, and if last isnt, then no error shown, and it differs whenever last status is error or success, hence why only happens sometimes and later clears itself. The PR by djlegolas(and qbittorrent commit), hides errors from UI if atleast one endpoint succeeded at someplace and not specifically needing be last like now. If not a single endpoint succeeded then error shown, as then actual error. Not merged yet though.
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

Post by pjlbyrne »

OK thanks very much for the attention. All my torrents (750 currently) are on one tracker (the same one) as far as I know so perhaps this problem you mention is not relevant to me.

Anyway, changing to google dns seems to have fixed it for now so I am happy.

Thanks again!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Cool, and you're welcome of course mate :) BTW, If having issues again later, and you want the prepatched 2 files with djlegolas PR applied, to replace locally, or e.g a pkgbuild for deluge-git with that PR defined to be applied, or something, then give me a shout.
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

Post by pjlbyrne »

Thanks mate! The problem seems to have returned but at a lower rate of incidence. If as you say the problem is not 'real' then I will just wait on the updates to be pushed through.