*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer.

Post by mhertz »

You're welcome mate :) Crossing fingers for it was a random fluke, and not happening again. Thanks for updating. BTW, check also, if happening again, if goes away by disabling all plugins used, or one at a time, if using any, to see if that is effecting the crashing. Good luck.
Primoz
New User
New User

Post by Primoz »

Is there a guide to transfer from 1.3.15 to 2.0.x? I've been fooling around with the installer version of 2.0 in a virtual machine copying over my primary settings. I've gotten 1.3.15 to work in the virtual machine, but I'm having trouble moving over to 2.0. I've made 2.0 work in a virtual machine (and tried out how the daemon works in a second virtual machine). Moving over the torrent states made my 2.0 client error out, but I have seen the torrents themselves in the client (I've got over 1100 of them).
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

No guide, but I guess should be a matter of backing up whole deluge profile folder, and then uninstall deluge1 and install deluge2 and start it. If having issues with deluge2, then uninstall deluge2 again and reinstall deluge1 and delete profile and copy back the backed up original profile(deluge2 overwrites core.conf in new format, that's why I say copy over profile again, just in case). Sorry if you're having issues with error'ing out, and you need obtain debug-log and see if anything captured and make bug-ticket upstream(deluge devs). If you only copy states over, then I dont know why, but if you copy over whole profile folder later, then delete session.state first before starting deluge2, if there is any there, as old deluge bug for many years, sometimes crashing deluge.
pauliunas
New User
New User

Re: Deluge 2.0.x unofficial Windows installer.

Post by pauliunas »

mhertz wrote: Lastly, I along time ago included a patch posted by tobbez in the #3201 ticket about Windows-installer issues. The patch fixes a bug making deluge sometimes crash related to .ico tracker icons, so the patch disables those to avoid that, and posts a message in log about it being blocked just in case. Anyway my point was that I'm thinking about if I should make it optional and add yet another checkbox :) Maybe some aren't hit by this issue and then is annoyed by possibly missing some of the tracker icons. I dunno, I'll think about it some more, but maybe I should just leave it as is, as sounded like it was a pretty consistent issue afterall i.e:
hmm, might it be that the issue came back? Or is this available only in dev builds? I downloaded the non-dev build from your link, installed it, tried to connect to my daemon running on another machine (seedbox) and it crashed a second or so later. Seems like I have the very same issue as described in your quote. I fixed it by deleting the invalid .ico files and putting random valid ones in their place, with the same names. But I guess it will continue crashing as I add more trackers...
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thank you! Completely forgot about that, doh, and never made the connection for this to invalid ico's, probably because reported before when patch included, but since it fixed your issue, then atleast I have confirmation that it's still an issue and that hopefully some/all of the later reports are because of it.

I'm embarresed of being this stupid honestly, but really appreciate your post, so thanks again mate.

I wonder why not reported more, for deluge2 on Linux, as general deluge2 issue and not related to this installer specifically.

I'll build and upload new installers tomorrow, also with updated libtorrent 1.2.x and a really nice PR djlegolas just submitted upstream(not merged yet, but I tested it today when he posted about it in my submitted deluge ticket of reporting the issue, and so I'll include it directly straight away, in both installers, instead of waiting till its merged upstream, which also means only would be in deluge dev builds and not the stable one, in contrary to adding it to both, like I'll do), which fixes the UI issue of trackers showing error without being in error, for libtorrent 1.2.x, which means I could remove libtorrent 1.2.3, but will keep it in for atleast a little more time, as nice anyway having a fallback 1.2.x, if having whatever issue with latest build, and not wanting use 1.1.x. Note, with that PR, it can still show error right in the beginning possibly, but should change after little time to not show error and without returning to error, unless actual error happens. Great work there by djlegolas and much appreciate his work on deluge, which I made sure to tell him in that bug ticket of-course.

On other note, the deluge-console command-line client had been rewritten in deluge2 and added e.g move command and emulating GTKUI too in non-cli mode, but needs curses for that, which is in python by default in stdlib for Linux, but not on windows, so some functionality is missing there, also in some of the commands, which don't work anymore on windows. I searched today for curses or alternatives for windows, and there's a project called pdcurses, which is cross-platform and has a wrapper for regular curses in python, so I tested including that, and then this time deluge-console doesn't complain about missing curses anymore, but instead about signal sigwinch not supported, which indeed is unsupported in pdcurses unfortunetly. There's a fork I found of it, supporting it, but then misses the wrapper I believe, and somethings still need adaption of code I read one state, so need to look more into that as wanted it working properly too, but currently doesn't atleast with some aspects, but will mess little more with it later, but anyway I'm guessing this isn't used by many on wIndows anyway, but regardless.

Edit: Done(not the curses issue of deluge-console above, but regarding the paragraph before that, of rebuilding installers with included ico crashing fix/workaround, djlegolas PR of libtorrent 1.2.3+ tracker error fix, and libtorrent 1.2.x update).
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

@mhertz

I just updated to your latest installer version from today and everything looks alright to me. I only tested downloads and tracker connection with VPN and without VPN connection; all working, yay :D

Right after Deluges startup I had a couple of errors in some torrents, but they resolved themself very quickly and were never seen again. So the fix from #3384 is working fine.

While I am on it: would you mind looking at #3279? It is fixed for 2.0.4 but I don't know when that version will come out. It's just a minor display issue, don't worry about it if you don't have the time.

Thank you again! For the quick build and the testing, bug reporting etc.

Edit: I was testing with libtorrent 1.2.6
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're welcome, thanks mate and appreciate your feedback :)

Djlegolas is the man indeed. I think it was him adding or preparing libtorrent 1.2.x support to deluge also, back in the day too(+ much other stuff).

Yeah, initial errors can possibly be seen, which should quickly resolve themselves, like you said, and not come back again later for that/those torrents, unless actual error. No way to get around that with the way libtorrent 1.2.3+ working. Hmm, unless actually ignoring all localhost tracker announce status reports, as will always fail(and sometimes comes first, before real connection, hence disreprancy/initial-error), though I don't know if that would be proper or could introduce issues, since I guess there's a reason Arvid allows LO announcing in first place. Ahh, probably e.g the usecase of, I don't know term off rip, but when redirecting localhost to other place, e.g socks5 proxy from ssh server or whatever, or other types of localhost redirection. Was almost about to post that to djlegolas in that ticket i.e asking if was possible/good-idea, so I'm glad you prompted me to think it through better :)

About that ticket you linked; I'm not sure if already fixed from libtorrent 1.2.2 and up, by that string to byte change Arvid commit'ed, as Cas never replied back(though he couldn't neither reproduce himself, so hard to confirm or deny then, obviously, but regardless, if he thought it would be fixed with that, or not), but as no mentions of it was changed for libtorrent 1.1.x also, which Cas stated also could happen there, from reports, plus it's a harmless and not big change in code(deluge I mean), not being able to interfere with anything, or deduct from stableness of stable deluge, then I'll backport commit from deluge develop branch to master branch(deluge-2.0.3), and rebuild/upload when coming home later today, or so I plan atleast, or else it will be tomorrow at latest. No other changes btw, as no updates since yesterday in deluge, libtorrent, gtk or python(RC1 of 3.8.3 out, but will wait until release version out with that). I'll edit post when done.

Thank you fmar for directing my attention to that ticket, appreciate your help :)

Edit: Done.
highvoltage
Leecher
Leecher

Post by highvoltage »

Hey mhertz

i am using deluge so far without problems on windows 10, a question if i update its version do i need to uninstall it completely? or can i just perform the installation on top of the current one?

Thanks very much for all support
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks mate, you're welcome, and glad to hear it :)

You never need uninstall to update this installer as will always make a clean install even when installing on top of current one. That is why it takes a little extra time to install, because I changed the NSIS install script to clean out deluge firstly and afterwards install fresh, which though makes the install take extra time, but I just thought it was better that way. Of course it's also fine to uninstall first, but is just not needed, as the net effect is exactly the same no matter what.

Note, if not having updated in a while, then you're probably using a py37 deluge, and I updated to py38 recently, so keep in mind that you will need rename your plugins from having py3.7 in filename, to py3.8, or download new versions of them, if available, in py3.8 versions(but ussually renaming works, and is quicker). If not any py version in name specifically, then no need to rename(e.g. ltconfig is like that).

This is a deluge annoying thing always been like that(whenever python is updated, though official deluge installers didn't update python very often), and not of my doing, well, I could avoid updating to newest stable python when released, but just thought performance, stability and security improvements was more important than this slight annoyance. Also, renaming is only ever needed when Y is updated in X.Y.Z release versioning, so e.g. next coming python update from 3.8.2 to 3.8.3 doesn't need that etc.
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

Hey mhertz

It's probably not a bad idea to listen on all network interfaces by default and it doesn't hurt. I personally used a anonymization proxy for some time, so this could be use case that is now covered.

Thank you for todays build and the backport of the #3279 bugfix! I wouldn't have expected you to be so quick :shock:
I just finished upgrading but the peer list is still empty. Everything else is working fine, as expected.
It might be related to something totally different, I'll investigate a bit more during the next days.

Today, I also switched my Debian vm to unstable and tried out Deluge 2.0.3 with libtorrent 1.2.5. It did work fine and suprisingly the peer list was working. But that could also have to do with some Debian specific fix or patch.

Anyway, I'll see if I find some related messages in the debug logs.